United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone was kind enough to make propose microbadges for one of my games. I saw his post on page 412 (!) of the Microbadge Submissions, Design, and Feedback thread, in which he asked for feedback.

There was no feedback on the rest of the page, nor was there feedback on pages 413, 414, or 415 (!!!), and it might get lost in the shuffle unless I amplify on Twitter or something... which doesn't seem right to me.

At this point, instead of a 400+ page thread, why not give microbadge submission its own dedicated forum? Each proposed set of badges could be its own thread. You could clearly see each badge's proposal, suggestions, improvements, and final submissions. I think that would be much clearer. And having each set of badges in their own topic thread would make browsing much easier.

I could see arguments against this, in that you wouldn't be able to see the proposed microbadge design in the list of forum topics, and that people would need to click on each topic to see each new badge, rather than having a visual parade of everything in the same thread.

But I'm finding the current format really unwieldy and difficult to browse. And if you subscribe to the forum, you'll get a very similar experience to the GeekList, but it would be threaded and much easier to follow.

I'd really like to see this happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
This suggestion comes up every so often in the thread, but most/all regular microbadgers are against it. The chief argument against it is that it'd be ever harder to get any feedback at all under the system you propose, since most people would only check their own threads, rather than the threads for everyone else. In the current system it's much easier to make certain that you've seen every single post, it's much likelier that a beginning microbadger will also comment on microbadges by others, and microbadgers can more easily see the feedback given to others, and so learn from that themselves.

Finally, "no feedback" is in itself useful feedback. It generally means there's nothing terribly wrong with the proposed microbadge. Depending on the number of thumbs the post received, it might go straight to submission, or if the designer is still uncertain, they can follow up with a poll. If the badge was proposed by a regular microbadger, they'll know how to interpret such silence. (And if they aren't, they tend to post at least once to ask for clarification / next steps, and someone will then make these things explicit.)

I understand that that the current system is not ideal for you, looking in from the outside, but it tends to work quite well for both new designers (mostly through learning by example, and with a lot of extra effort by the regulars come January's coupon season and a fresh influx of new designers) and for regular designers, which after all form the core constituency of the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mb
I'll admit that often proposals fall through the cracks. The proposer just needs to make another request for input.

Regarding the forum idea, as a volunteer microbadge reviewer, I think it would pretty daunting to keep track of what is going on and what would be the individual response status of a forum with several hundred threads per month. I think even more stuff would fall through the cracks.

For reference we tried using a geeklist once for reviewing video game microbadges. It turned into a giant post-apocalyptic wasteland with completed, active, and abandoned projects scattered willy nilly. I'm sure with someone who had a couple hours a day to manage it, it would work, but even the microbadge administrator position is a volunteer position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mb
On the other hand, as noted, a forum wouldn't have the same issue as the geeklist with old and new stuff intermingled. The old stuff would fall to the bottom.

Still, again as noted, with the current system there is the bonus that advice that is given to one is viewed by all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
After more thought: it would work if there was an admin behind it. There's more than one way to make that happen, but it won't happen by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like this a solution in search of a problem... I don't think splitting up each submission into its own thread is going to increase visibility or feedback of proposed microbadges - if anything, it would only make those issues more prominent; there are usually 150+ microbadges submitted each month (not counting abandoned microbadges). Personally, I'd rather wade through 2-3 pages of submission thread posts than having to go through 50+ individual threads.

The current system may not be perfect, but it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.