Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Shelley
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. - Unknown
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for recommendations. Specifically my son (28yo) a serious boardgamer (mostly thematic stuff – Mage Knight, etc but has done war games – i.e. Conflict of Heroes) is asking me to find a war game we can play over an extended period of time.

He and I have been playing chess for years. We work mostly different shifts so I make a move then later in the day he makes a move. Games can take weeks to complete. He wants to know if I can find a war game like that.

Beyond that he is open to theme and scale. I assume a ‘playable monster’ might do the trick with some type of ‘I Go – You Go’ mechanic that does not have opportunity fire or interrupts to the movement phase. I suspect this rules out tactical games but I am open to any suggestions.

I have a fairly large war game collection. Ideally I would already own the game but then again would love to have an excuse to pick up a new game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nations at War: White Star Rising

Don't rule out all tactical games!

This is a tactical game easily playable in an evening, but it has expansions that have linked campaigns. Units carry over scenario to scenario with reinforcements and replacements coming along the way. It has a small footprint too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ek T
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Play a "big dumb monster" such as one from the Standard Combat Series (SCS)!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/121/standard-comba...

I believe this is the latest one and is still in print:

or

However, I've not played either. I've only played Yom Kippur and just bought The Mighty Endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Russian Campaign? I would look at a lot of the classic AH games from the 60s and 70s. They were solidly IGO UGO, no hidden information or reaction phases.

Assuming you trust your son on combat rolls, you're golden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marne 1918: Friedensturm for appetizer.

Also, please consider the Der Weltkrieg series:
- Western Front
- Eastern Front
- Italian Front
- Ottoman Front
and obviously the
- Grand Campaign
to link 'em all! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Global Nomad
Portugal
Barcelona
flag msg tools
The 16th century São João Baptista, also known as Botafogo (Spitfire) was a Portuguese galleon warship considered the most powerful warship in the world at the time.
mbmbmbmbmb
kshelley wrote:
Looking for recommendations. Specifically my son (28yo) a serious boardgamer (mostly thematic stuff – Mage Knight, etc but has done war games – i.e. Conflict of Heroes) is asking me to find a war game we can play over an extended period of time.

He and I have been playing chess for years. We work mostly different shifts so I make a move then later in the day he makes a move. Games can take weeks to complete. He wants to know if I can find a war game like that.

Beyond that he is open to theme and scale. I assume a ‘playable monster’ might do the trick with some type of ‘I Go – You Go’ mechanic that does not have opportunity fire or interrupts to the movement phase. I suspect this rules out tactical games but I am open to any suggestions.

I have a fairly large war game collection. Ideally I would already own the game but then again would love to have an excuse to pick up a new game!

Empire of the Sun

This is a playable monster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Boerman

Maynard
Massachusetts
msg tools
"Stick with me folks...I got all the answers."
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Chance for Victory

A Monster dealing with the Battle of Gettysburg. This will keep you very busy for awhile and is a terrific game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
whistle "Battle for Germany" "Played many times too!" cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
USE should fit the bill for chess players on different shifts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zigi Hogan
United States
The Ozarks
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
What's it going to be then, eh?
mbmbmbmbmb

World in Flames Deluxe Edition sounds like it would be perfect.

Where is?
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Stonewall Jackson's Way II

Battle Above the Clouds

Grant Takes Command

And any others in the series you can get your hands on.
Great fluid system with a really unique way of handling the war between the states. Maneuver is as important as direct conflict. And the maps are amazing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zigihogan wrote:

Where is?
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, I do like the game but I don't recommend it lightly. It's big and long and not for everybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EastFront II will do the trick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe

My thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CM Randall wrote:

superflat wrote:
USE should fit the bill for chess players on different shifts.

He specifically does not want interrupts to the movement phase. I have never seen a game that has more interrupts than USE. It happens (literally) 100+ times per turn.

I can think of no other wargame that is as interactive as USE. You are constantly checking your opponent for interrupts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
mpires wrote:
Empire of the Sun

This is a playable monster

Not much of an IGO-UGO, as there are lots of reaction moves and interrupts. I wouldn't call it a monster either, with the tournament scenarios being easily playable in under 3-4 hours.

Amazing game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Paths of Glory asynchronously. I think it is actually a better game that way.

It is not a monster but when you have time to agonize over how you want to spend your precious action points, it makes for a very brain burning game. I would think chess players would love that aspect. I have spent more time planning a turn of PoG with 5 action points than I have running three theaters in Unconditional Surrender. That is why I think it plays best asynchronously; in a face to face game of PoG, nobody wants to wait an hour while you consider all the possibilities.

There is a small bit of interaction (i.e. playing combat cards in a battle). That can be easily overcome by the attacker leaving his combat card and advance after combat instructions in an envelope of some sort. Then when the other player comes in, he commits his card and executes the combat following the instructions in the envelope. Then he takes his turn. Rinse/repeat. Since you generally only have one or two attacks per card/turn, this is very doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Zigihogan wrote:

Where is?
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, I do like the game but I don't recommend it lightly. It's big and long and not for everybody.

That and it requires plenty of player interaction, mainly for air and naval forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were to play with my son and with this kind of expertise as you mentioned (Mage Knight - cards oriented), I would go for Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?.

CONSIMS are the new political wargames. And this game's theme these days is actually on everyone's mind. The game could open up a world of COIN games.

Played in sessions over 3 decks long Labyrinth certainly is a longer term played game.

For Napoleonics I would go for the hidden treasure of Age of Napoleon, diplomacy and war combined in a hell of a game for 2.

As to the old grognard in me: Rise and Decline of the Third Reich, at least starting with this Legendary system and go to its latest incarnation with the massive GMT game A World at War.

Going from 32 bible text pages to 192 will satisfy your "long term" desire, I am sure of that.

I heard extreme good things about Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe too, helas it is OOP and not easy to find.

I never liked World in Flames because it never came out of the "too much cramped in too little" synthesis. It didn't strike the right balance between being a strategic game and naming individual ships.

Of course pure personal perceptions. But I would go for the newer trends above.

Less is often more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McNaughton
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory Roads and / or Liberty Roads, though you should both be there in a combat phase to take advantage of the elite options in combat results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once asked about PBEM-friendly CDGs. That could help you if you want a CDG:

Best CDGs for PBEM

Pay special note to airjudden's reply. He rates several CDGs for their PBEM-friendliness.

I think COIN-games would be PBEM-friendly too, maybe Fire in the Lake since you're going to play 2-player.

As for regular hex'n counter wargames, I'm not sure if I have ever played a game with no defensive reaction, but in Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 the defender only has to decide whether or not to support with artillery, mortars or nearby MGs. It's usually an easy decision, which you could come up with some guidelines for, so that you can make it on each other's behalf. It is OOP, but the sequel, Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, France, June 1944 will soon be out. France '40 is the same: The defender has to make a few simple decisions on support and whether or not to make a determined defense. I would expect the same to be true for similar games by the same designer, like Normandy '44 and Ukraine '43. Those are all IGOUGO. I also think I remember that The Dark Valley had even fewer decisions about defensive support, so that and other chit-pull games could also be an option. I'm trying to remember if A Victory Lost has defensive support, and I think maybe it hasn't. I'm sure there are tons of other games I haven't played which at most has some decisons about defensive support on the opponent's turn, decisions which are simple enough to make for each other. You could also declare attacks, then let the defender declare support, then make the attack on the next day, but then you might have very little to do (just declare support) on some days.

World in Flames is not the best option, I think, because you have important decisions to make on where to react with your aircraft and when to intercept moving ships. Those decisions can't easily be made on behalf of the opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Balance of Powers. The Grand Campaign scenario will take about 50 hours and is thoroughly engrossing. Fight all of World War I all over the globe on land and sea and in the air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumis Dalidalisa
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I have enjoyed Combat Commander. Exciting and creates a narrative. Infinitely repayable. Finish in a reasonable amount of time and we can break it out whenever we have a couple of hours.

There's a certain amount of psychological inertia to a session even of a "playable" monster when you don't have a whole day or whole afternoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Palmer
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freitag wrote:

Assuming you trust your son on combat rolls, you're golden.

That little pecker-wood! I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him!

Oh, wait....you weren't talking about my kid. Nevermind. laugh

More importantly, congratulations on having a grown son that still wants to push cardboard with his Dad! I'm sure you realize how lucky you are and how jealous a lot of us are of your situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolumel wrote:
My son and I have enjoyed Combat Commander. Exciting and creates a narrative. Infinitely repayable. Finish in a reasonable amount of time and we can break it out whenever we have a couple of hours.

Like other squad level games, it would be completely unplayable if they won't both be present at the same time, though. The opponent has to see every hex you enter, in case he wants to opportunity fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.