4 Posts

Epic Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Assigning Damage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Reclaimer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to understand how assigning damage works, and I had the following thoughts. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Assigning damage works somewhat like distributing combat damage in Star Realms. As the attacking player, the cumulative damage of my attacking champions go into one common pool. The chosen blockers are like outposts which have to take damage first. Except in Epic, the excess damage that is not blocked does NOT go to the opposing player (unless breakthrough is involved). This basic understanding will be modified by various card effects such as airborne, but that is essentially one way to understand the concept of "assign damage as you wish."

Is that right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DCross519 wrote:
I'm trying to understand how assigning damage works, and I had the following thoughts. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Assigning damage works somewhat like distributing combat damage in Star Realms. As the attacking player, the cumulative damage of my attacking champions go into one common pool. The chosen blockers are like outposts which have to take damage first. Except in Epic, the excess damage that is not blocked does NOT go to the opposing player (unless breakthrough is involved). This basic understanding will be modified by various card effects such as airborne, but that is essentially one way to understand the concept of "assign damage as you wish."

Is that right?

sounds right. things like airborne don't effect how damage is handled though. remember if you attack with an airborne and non airborne creature you can be blocked by a non airborne creature and the whole group is considered blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Miller
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, for the most part.

Airborne only specifies what can block a champ rather than what can damage it. (Say an airborne champ and a wolf token attack together. Any champion can block them because the wolf token doesn't have airborne and can assign its damage to either or both.)

Breakthrough is also odd in that you check only the breakthrough pool of damage against the total defense to see how much spills over.

Otherwise, looks like you have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reclaimer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.