flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroes and Rogues, Out for Gold
(Formerly: 18 Cards and No Name)
2-4 Players - 15 minutes
Development Period: September-November 2015

Heroes and Rogues, Out for Gold is a micro action-selection and set-collection game with a bit of deduction thrown in for good measure. The game consists of only 18 cards and a set of rules. It's for 2-4 players and one round takes 10-15 minutes. It can be played for one round or several and scores tallied.

In this game 2-4 players compete to create a team of adventurers by choosing actions from character cards that are available on the table. Selecting a character from the face-up choices in the center of a table is done by exchanging one card from your hand with one on the table. Then the action of the character that was selected is taken and the character removed from the player’s hand is placed face-down on the table. The object is to build a team of character cards with the same Elemental Affinity (color) and/or Race (symbol or suit) in your hand.

PnP Files:
Rules: http://georgejaros.com/Files/Heroes-and-Rogues-Out-for-Gold-...
Cards (including brief rules on 2 additional cards and alternate Thief and Mage cards): http://georgejaros.com/Files/Heroes-and-Rogues-Out-for-Gold-...

Updates:
10/29/2015 - After playing the game at Madison Protospiel, where it was well liked, I got some ideas for a theme and reworked all the cards to work within the theme. A few tweaks have been made to the rules also. And, we now have a real name!
11/10/2015 - Fixed a typo in the full rules doc. Also added some clarification about receiving a scoring hand due to someone else's actions and about receiving a scoring hand before your first turn. No updates to any of the cards and all are minor updates to the main rules doc that don't affect gameplay. No reprinting necessary if you don't want to.
12/1/2015 - Changed the Action for the Mage cards (old action is an alternate card). Also updated the card graphics so that the suit icons aren't just black and white, but match the card colors (and swapped the background areas of the cards so the icons stand out enough). Rules have been updated to reflect these changes.
12/10/2015 - Updated the card PDF file. I noticed that some of the symbols got corrupted the last time I created the file. It's all fixed now.
12/22/2015 - Marked Contest Ready. Didn't get custom artwork for this one though, oh well.

Card fronts and backs:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] 18 Cards and No Name - 18 Card Microgame Contest
A couple name ideas, keeping it abstract:

"Sixcess" (play on words of "success" since you have 6 suits and six colors).

"636" (6 suits, 3 number values per suit, 6 colors).

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the ideas... That's got me thinking of names related to 'six'. Still doesn't help with a theme, but maybe the game doesn't need a theme...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... Maybe I can get something a bit more thematic with the idea of 'six shooter'. Maybe a western theme...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
gjjaros wrote:
Hmmm... Maybe I can get something a bit more thematic with the idea of 'six shooter'. Maybe a western theme...

If you go with a western theme;

Cards with no Name

A Fistful of cards

Another day, another card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm super stoked. I took all three of my entries for this year to the Madison Protospiel event this weekend and all three were very well received by a number of playtesters and other designers. 18 Cards and No Name (which, by the way, I think I might have a theme for, which might lead to a name) was quite the hit, too. It got played twice (2 player and 4 player) and while it has a few very small hiccups that may or may not need to be tweaked after a bit more playtesting everyone liked it and felt it had a ton of depth and very solid gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gjjaros wrote:
...that may or may not need to be tweaked after a bit more playtesting...

I've decided that I'm going to tweak a few of the actions a bit to 1) make them more thematic with the theme I've decided on and 2) make it a tad bit more difficult to change your opponent's cards. I'm also adjusting the points per card a bit so there's a bit more variability and the points are based on the thematic elements I'm adding.

The theme will be that you are trying to assemble a team to complete a quest in a fantasy realm. Instead of colors there will be elements that characters have an affinity for (Earth, Water, Air, Fire, Light and Dark, so the same colors). Instead of suits there will be races (Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes, Halflings, Humans, and Orcs). There will still be six actions, but they'll be tweaked a tiny bit and will correspond to character classes (Warrior, Scout, Mage, Merchant, Thief, and Healer). Using the abilities of the character classes (actions) you'll try to assemble a team of either all the same race, or all the same elemental affinity. Thanks to the guys at Protospiel for helping to spur that idea in my mind. I think it'll work well with the gameplay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Updates:
10/29/2015 - After playing the game at Madison Protospiel, where it was well liked, I got some ideas for a theme and reworked all the cards to work within the theme. A few tweaks have been made to the rules also. And, we now have a real name!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought people might be interested in seeing the spreadsheet I used to distribute races, elements, classes, actions, and points... It should be impossible to tie in a 4 player game and unlikely in 2-3 player games. Also the groupings on the backs of the cards are completely balanced, points wise.

Point distributions are:

Race:
Orc, Halfling = 1pt
Gnome, Dwarf = 2pts
Human, Elf = 3pts

Element:
Dark, Water = 1pt
Light, Air = 2pts
Earth, Fire = 3pts

Class:
Thief, Scout = 1pt
Merchant, Mage = 2pts
Warrior, Healer = 3pts

Then there are some adjustments to get a better distribution of final points.

It took quite a bit of tweaking to get everything balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gjjaros wrote:
Updates:

This was fun! Even playing two hands by myself, the face-down cards (that I can't recruit) had that extra bit of challenge. And it was nice to recruit a card just to mess with the opponent.

Now to see if I can get another human to play against...

Two things:

I have the 4 page printed rules- page 2 you say teams are worth 14-21 points. Shouldn't that be 15-22 points?

One page 3, you say "In the rare event..." What if you had each player randomly draw a card from their opponent on their left? (Maybe you tried that...?)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for catching that typo. Towards the end there I was adjusting the points numbers and probably forgot to update the rules to match the final numbers I settled on. I'll get that fixed.

Regarding the rare event, I don't want to have every player pass a card because that punishes the other players as well. Requiring that the lucky player take at least one turn means that he'll have to either figure out how to keep a ready to score hand, or work toward rebuilding a scorable hand. I just didn't want anyone on their first turn to score without any warning to other players. I think the solution that players have to take at least one turn solves that.

I'm glad you had fun! Give my other games a try, too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New, temporary game logo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
12/1/2015 - Changed the Action for the Mage cards (old action is an alternate card). Also updated the card graphics so that the suit icons aren't just black and white, but match the card colors (and swapped the background areas of the cards so the icons stand out enough). Rules have been updated to reflect these changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New logo:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
12/10/2015 - Updated the card PDF file. I noticed that some of the symbols got corrupted the last time I created the file. It's all fixed now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played a few rounds with a colleague. We had a bit of a slow start as I'd somehow forgotten about the alternative cards on the rules sheet and had mixed them in, so we ended up with 9 cards each in our hands. Once we worked that out it became a little more straight forward.

Once you get used to the gameplay, it seems to make more sense which is good. It's definitely a game you would want to play over several rounds, adding up the scores.

I'm starting to see how there are a few different strategies to the game.

All in all, it was pretty good. Well done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Jaros
United States
DeKalb
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for playing! I also played again yesterday with another couple. My wife and I both agree that, while it works well for 2-4 players its best with 2. With 4 it becomes more of a tactical game, but with 2 you can work a bit more of strategy. I hope everyone else has fun with it, too, and I'd love to hear more about how people feel it plays with different player counts. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.