Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Crawford
United States
Chester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading through the Imperial forum I'm not sure if everyone is playing the Investor card correctly/the same way. From my reading of the rules, the Investor card is passed to the left after the Investor space is landed on AND when the Investor space is passed over. The card moves around at a pretty good clip this way. I suspect some people are playing that it only is passed when someone actually lands on the Investor space on the rondel.

I'll admit the rules are unclear, but the wording of the card itself ("INVESTOR collects 2,000,000 and may invest once when a nation moves to or passes 'Investor.' After the turn, the card is given to the left neighbor.") suggests that it is activated, and given to the player to the left, when the Investor space is landed on or passed over.

Which is correct?

--Robert Crawford

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Investor card moves at the end of an Investor turn, after the check for changing government.

I would agree that this happens either when the Investor space is landed on (Steps 1,2 and 3 are performed) or when it is passed over (Steps 2 and 3 are performed, after the action for the space landed on).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
activated, and given to the player to the left, when the Investor space is landed on or passed over

Correct. It occurs on both.

An interesting point to note is that players without a nation may invest also and not the the player with the investor card. It could occur that the investor card player buys a nation gaining control of it and leaves someone without one. Now the player without a nation could then, in turn, invest and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walt Mulder wrote:
It could occur that the investor card player buys a nation gaining control of it and leaves someone without one. Now the player without a nation could then, in turn, invest and so on.

Are you sure about that point?

The flags get exchanged at the end of the Investor action, and therefore these "chain reactions" can't occur. The "player without a nation" would have had a nation when the Investor phase started.

See the response from Mac Gerdts here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1172829

On a future Investor action, absolutely, any player with no flag (at the beginning of that Investor action) can Invest in step #3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with jearles on this one - only those who have no flag at the beginning of the invest step 2 get to invest as well as the person holding the invester card.

Also, having the invester card and no flag at the beginning of the invest step 2 does not mean you get to buy two bonds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of you are correct. Mac has clarified both those points.

I do suspect that a lot of people who have issues with the game when without a flag are playing this wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.