Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
The AP has decided it will no longer use the term "skeptic" to describe a climate change denier because "skeptic" is a scientific term to describe someone who uses scientific methods of logic, evidence, and experimentation to debunk pseudoscience. Since deniers clearly do not use science as a basis for any part of their argument that certainly makes sense to me.

https://blog.ap.org/announcements/an-addition-to-ap-styleboo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
They did take the other side's concerns into account a bit and will also no longer use "denier"

Quote:
But those who reject climate science say the phrase denier has the pejorative ring of Holocaust denier so The Associated Press prefers climate change doubter or someone who rejects mainstream science.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively, "those who reject mainstream climate science."

Good. I'm a fan of some skeptical media, and people occasionally confuse it with climate change, which is irritating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik17 wrote:
They did take the other side's concerns into account a bit and will also no longer use "denier"

Quote:
But those who reject climate science say the phrase denier has the pejorative ring of Holocaust denier so The Associated Press prefers climate change doubter or someone who rejects mainstream science.
Bloody SJW's getting huffy over being called rude names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
Yes well done, none of us picked up on this notion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully they just start calling them what they really are, "Fucking Idiots".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:

Eh, they're not stupid. Just victims of disinformation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:

As opposed to people who believe every global warming prediction for the last 30 years which has failed to materialize are "enlightened"?

Yea, they're stupid also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:

As opposed to people who believe every global warming prediction for the last 30 years which has failed to materialize are "enlightened"?

I started a whole thread on that very topic.
I suppose I will start to worry when, oh I dont know, how about ONE of the TWO ice caps melts.
That was supposed to have happened already right?

If anyone ever wanted to use the whole moving goal posts thing, now is the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:

I suppose I will start to worry when, oh I dont know, how about ONE of the TWO ice caps melts.

If anyone ever wanted to use the whole moving goal posts thing, now is the time.

The goalposts did indeed move. And they're still moving.

But the "the earth is gonna burn up TODAY SO FREAK OUT" people being wrong doesn't make the "the earth is a never-changing picture of God's eternal glory" any more correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:

What should we call them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:

Nothing much has changed recently around melting glaciers or polar ice caps. Still moving along quite steadily, fuck you and your kind very much. The "problem" for people like you is that you are too dumb to understand the actual predictions and rely on media sensationalism. No one predicted 'the end of the world' was going to happen by 2020. The "predictions" were more about the threat that if we don't do something about CO2 emissions by X date it is probably going to be too late to stop it fast enough to avoid severe problems. The predictions were not and have never been that by 2015, 2020, or whatever we would be facing 'severe global warming problems by that date'.

Severe dislocations caused by weather, coastal flooding, etc are not likely to happen until after the end of this century, still around 100 to 200 years from now. If you are polluting the world with your spawn you better hope they don't preserve your stupidity in online forums, otherwise your ancestors will be able to see how much of a jackass you were.

Personally I think it is very likely that technology will be able to overcome the issues caused by global warming, but I also think that we are playing with fire in not making greater efforts to prevent the problems in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:

Nothing much has changed recently around melting glaciers or polar ice caps. Still moving along quite steadily, fuck you and your kind very much. The "problem" for people like you is that you are too dumb to understand the actual predictions and rely on media sensationalism. No one predicted 'the end of the world' was going to happen by 2020. The "predictions" were more about the threat that if we don't do something about CO2 emissions by X date it is probably going to be too late to stop it fast enough to avoid severe problems. The predictions were not and have never been that by 2015, 2020, or whatever we would be facing 'severe global warming problems by that date'.

Severe dislocations caused by weather, coastal flooding, etc are not likely to happen until after the end of this century, still around 100 to 200 years from now. If you are polluting the world with your spawn you better hope they don't preserve your stupidity in online forums, otherwise your ancestors will be able to see how much of a jackass you were.

Personally I think it is very likely that technology will be able to overcome the issues caused by global warming, but I also think that we are playing with fire in not making greater efforts to prevent the problems in the first place.

Incredible. So predictions with a clear result, i.e. Arctic ice cap completely melted before 2015 is just to illustrate that it could happen? Please. Antarctic ice is at record levels so if you can somehow count that as marching towards no ice at the South Pole, that would be amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He means this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/globalwarm...

Note it is only a couple of scientists, and his findings were disputed by the IPCC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alleman
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic a model human.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Patterson
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
What were you expecting?
badge
I have overtext 'cause everyone else was doing it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Daddys_Home wrote:

He's just a useless troll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CapNClassic wrote:
TommyP wrote:
Daddys_Home wrote:

He's just a useless troll.
if I am, why do you keep feeding me.
Also, science, it works. Are you one of those Science Deniers that he AP is talking about?
Why do people keep feeding animals in the zoo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.