Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Getting started rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Bassett

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are looking at starting to play Android: Netrunner - some time ago, we purchased a starter set/box and own none of the expansions.

How bad is the "power creep" in the game? I.e., is it possible to play in a local tournament with just the starter and be even moderately competitive, or would we need to essentially buy most of the recently issued sets to build competitive decks?

Thx,
Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
You won't be able to compete with just the starter set, but not because recently issued sets are more powerful, but simply because better decks can be built with more cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Octo Rex
msg tools
mb
Yeah it's not so much power creep, but the power afforded to you by having more min-max options to combine and more ways to create combos available. This effectively allows you execute tactics with fewer cards, with in turn allows you to squeeze more tactics & oopmh into your 45 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny And The
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Many of the strongest cards in the game are from the core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With two core-sets, a well-built deck from them, and lots and lots of play time to perfect your piloting of those decks, you wouldn't be a top-contender, but you'd have fun and win some games.

But you really must have a couple core sets to complete the 2-ofs and get a second 1-ofs.

edit: Also, once you know what you want in your deck, it's easy to purchase a few select data packs. One of the guys I play with used to do that before buying everything. He was killing me with just a core set and a few data packs, while I had everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
TomTheCPA wrote:
We are looking at starting to play Android: Netrunner - some time ago, we purchased a starter set/box and own none of the expansions.

How bad is the "power creep" in the game? I.e., is it possible to play in a local tournament with just the starter and be even moderately competitive, or would we need to essentially buy most of the recently issued sets to build competitive decks?

Thx,
Tom

These are two completely different questions. The cost/power baseline has remained the same throughout the game, so by any rational definition, there has been no power creep. However, the larger card pool means more options, and having more options is always an advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bassett

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks (and drinks) to all who have responded - this has been very helpful.

We're going to buy a second core set and then after several games determine what/which expansions or other cards will be helpful.

(would close thread if I could figure out how to do so).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jets wrote:

Indeed. In terms of power level, none of the data packs or deluxe expansions comes even close to packing the heat that the core set does. Astroscript, Desperado, Account Siphon, SanSan City Grid, Biotic Labor, Scorched Earth, Kate, Noise, Datasucker, Parasite, Corroder, Sure Gamble, Hedge Fund, Tollbooth, Archer, and so much more, in ONE box.

Two core sets pretty much remains the number one recommendation for new players who want to build somewhat competitive decks.

But really, if competitiveness is what you are about, find some decks you like and buy just the packs you need for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc .
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mb
BlueSwan wrote:
Jets wrote:

Indeed. In terms of power level, none of the data packs or deluxe expansions comes even close to packing the heat that the core set does. Astroscript, Desperado, Account Siphon, SanSan City Grid, Biotic Labor, Scorched Earth, Kate, Noise, Datasucker, Parasite, Corroder, Sure Gamble, Hedge Fund, Tollbooth, Archer, and so much more, in ONE box.

Two core sets pretty much remains the number one recommendation for new players who want to build somewhat competitive decks.

But really, if competitiveness is what you are about, find some decks you like and buy just the packs you need for them.

2x core plus opening moves is probably the best start for competitive play. Then creation and control once you get more into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Thrashbarg

London
msg tools
mbmb
As someone who is (A) new to Netrunner, and (B) unwilling to buy up the entire card pool just to be able to play, my experience has been this:

First: The game mechanics of Netrunner mean that the playing field is actually surprisingly even, regardless of the decks that are played. The core dynamic of the game, the ability to make runs, is largely independent of cards. I've played many games that have been decided with hardly any cards played, because either the runner put enough pressure on the corp with early runs, or because a simple piece of ice blocked him/her and allowed the corp to rush out an agenda or establish some other advantage. The bottom line is that even decks made from a very limited card pool stand a decent chance of winning in casual games (even if you won't win any tournaments).

Second: Even if you don't win a given game, the game mechanics mean that you are likely to score at least one or two agendas. You're therefore likely to stay invested in the game throughout, and walk away with the feeling that you accomplished something.

Ultimately I suppose the point is that the 'game' of Netrunner is in a way separate from the cards you play. Each deck you construct will give you a particular way of playing that game, but the game remains the same, and ultimately your proficiency will make more of a difference that having a particular card.

Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm plodding through the discovery of this game pretty slowly, and chronologically. So I'm only up to Second Thoughts so far. For me, it is November 2013 in the Netrunner world

I'm 100% ignorant of cards beyond where I'm at--haven't done any looking ahead. No Spoilers!

But I'm enjoying the game a ton, and am interested enough to want to play competitively someday. So I looked at the winning decklists of the top finishers in a number of recent local/regional contests.

I recognize probably 80% or more of the cards, despite being nearly two years behind whatever the current Meta is.

That's kind of neat. I think the barrier to entry for newish players--to be at least somewhat competitive--is smaller than one might think.

As everyone else above is saying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dj sabor
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen events that are "core-only," so you're not even totally out on competitive play if you only possess some of the base boxes and a few extras here or there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Whitesell
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the investment-seminaring, film-criticing, noise-shopping, leela-gang-bouncing, Sunny-multithreading, quetzal-surfing jank in the world won't save your poor rig if you hit an Archer you can't break.

Which happens to me a LOT and I own almost the entire game.

I love that the deckbuilding process is really only about half the story. There are mean decks, sure - but I've won about half my games as Runner without having a single breaker on the table. Run fast, run hard, run often and you can win no matter the corp's ID or yours.

The odds of you hitting something that will kill you flat out like a Komainu into an agenda vs. PE, or hitting a Triple Merlin your first turn are really low. I got fortunate that I gravitated toward Criminal over Shaper when I was learning, so I'd run fast and hard and keep the Corp broke with only a Core Set and Honor and Profit.

A lot has changed in even the 6-7 months I've been playing. But still, Account Siphon hurts, Scorched Earth Kills, Nisei Mk2 sucks, Ash ruins your day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bassett

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd core set is in hand, time to start playing the game to discover which "style" fits me best ... or "styles"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc .
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
mb
oldthrashbarg wrote:
As someone who is (A) new to Netrunner, and (B) unwilling to buy up the entire card pool just to be able to play, my experience has been this:

First: The game mechanics of Netrunner mean that the playing field is actually surprisingly even, regardless of the decks that are played. The core dynamic of the game, the ability to make runs, is largely independent of cards. I've played many games that have been decided with hardly any cards played, because either the runner put enough pressure on the corp with early runs, or because a simple piece of ice blocked him/her and allowed the corp to rush out an agenda or establish some other advantage. The bottom line is that even decks made from a very limited card pool stand a decent chance of winning in casual games (even if you won't win any tournaments).

Enjoy

Difference between tier 1, 1.5 & 2 decks is much smaller than other games. A good player can wreck your day with skill rather than having the newest/most cards.

Older decks often will do well after meta shifts a few times because they became more of an anti-meta or meta-killer deck. This game also has a very shifty meta and so you can always try to build for the new hotness or go for something where you know the deck super well and will be more consistent as a result.

In one of the regular meets I play in, I'm the only criminal player so I often have a leg up because of it.

Tl; dr skill more important than cards, old decks still can be very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.