Memoir '44» Forums » General

Subject: is this thing rigged? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ben harvey
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I got memmoir 44 for xmas and have played about 6 games (2 solo) and a bunch of difrent senarios
and I couldent belive it. the germans lost every time, and I played as the germans every time, I know Its not that Im bad at it becase even when I played solo the germans lost. I think its becasue in most of the senarios they give the germans less command cards.

Am I the only one that finds this true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenarios are not balanced, but this is no secret. That's why the rulebook suggests playing several times in a row and trading sides with your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenarios are not perfectly balanced, but the system is very robust in my experience, meaning that the high uncertainty factor tends to compensate for a disadvantageous starting position. I.e., between players of equal skill, the luck of the draw (and to a lesser extend the dice) should determine the outcome, not the scenario.

So either you had just bad luck, or you played poorly. I'm sure it's the former

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S.
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
Well, this is just silly.
mbmbmbmbmb
super_fish wrote:
I got memmoir 44 for xmas and have played about 6 games (2 solo) and a bunch of difrent senarios
and I couldent belive it. the germans lost every time, and I played as the germans every time, I know Its not that Im bad at it becase even when I played solo the germans lost. I think its becasue in most of the senarios they give the germans less command cards.

It's my understanding that the scenarios are made with historical accuracy at the forefront, and balance just behind.

So switch sides and count the medals each time. A full game is twice through, switching sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Germans did a lot of losing in Northwest Europe in 1944/45, which is when and where the basic M44 scenarios are set. But I have seen plenty of German victories in these scenarios (and a check of the scenario stat records at the Days of Wonder site will show that I am not alone in this).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richardolen2 wrote:
super_fish wrote:

It's my understanding that the scenarios are made with historical accuracy at the forefront, and balance just behind.

So switch sides and count the medals each time. A full game is twice through, switching sides.

Exactly - match play is the way this game is meant to be played, and it's the only way my group plays it. Makes for very tense gameplay!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
These statistics include custom scenarios, and a smattering of games from all the expansions. But my win percentage with the Allies is at an even 50%. My win percentage as the Axis commanders is at 71%. And I am 1 shy of having a 100 games under my belt.

Not only does match play balance the scenario for you, it allows you to figure out the best way to attack the next time if you are the underdog. So i suggest playing all the scenarios you lost as the Allies, then go back as try them again as the Axis one more time. I bet you will have much more success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Hodgson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goldenboat wrote:
The Germans did a lot of losing in Northwest Europe in 1944/45, which is when and where the basic M44 scenarios are set. But I have seen plenty of German victories in these scenarios (and a check of the scenario stat records at the Days of Wonder site will show that I am not alone in this).

I have seen two playings of Omaha Beach and Andrew ( Allies ) defeated Brian ( Axis ) in a fairly close game . I played ( Allies ) against my friend Sean and he slaughtered me because of the sheer number of flags he rolled . especially his long range Artillery against my tanks . Not one single tank battalion made it off the beach . Germans can win , absolutely ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.