Popular Tags: [View All]
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of treating myself to something lately and I noticed this very nice looking case for Arkham Horror on Ebay from PTS Formal Accessories:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wood-Box-Hold-Your-Arkham-Horror-Gam...

Obviously it's very expensive. What I am wondering is, what is it good for exactly?

I had AH sent up for several months because I was playing multiple games solitaire, using several expansions. When I came time to put it away, it was a major chore. Seemed to take hours. I think setting it back up again would also take a long time.

What I am wondering is, what is a deluxe storage solution like this primarily good for?

(1) Does it greatly speed up setup/breakdown time?

(2)Does it (or anything, really) make it easier to incorporate/not incorporate certain expansions each time, or is that just mission impossible?

(3) Does it save space?

(4) Does it make the game more portable?

I am very interested in (1), somewhat interested in (2) and (3), and not at all interested in (4).

I don't really have the patience, skills, and tools to make a fancy home-made storage solution myself.

If this case could greatly accelerate the setup/put-away processes, and preferably help with incorporating or not incorporating certain expansions, then it would be very useful to me. If it's just for making the whole thing more portable, then it is definitely not worth the money.

So I would be very interested in hearing opinions on why people make storage solutions, what they really help with, and what they only marginally help with.

Thanks for your input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
A deluxe storage solution like this is primarily good for

(5) Looking sexy.

I don't think that particular one succeeds very well at (5), but tastes may differ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ridley Bojangles
United States
Cape Elizabeth
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not nearly as elegant (or expensive), but for my complete Arkham collection I bought one of these Iris 12x12 large organizers, and two stackable divided trays which go inside it. I got it at Michaels. It's pretty much perfect for storing all the bits and pieces from AH. (Aside from the boards and decks of cards which I keep together in the base box)

http://www.irisusainc.com/p-869-sbc-350e.aspx

I'll take a picture of the filled case if I get a chance.

To answer your question, yes it helps with setup time immensely because I just pull whatever I need from the various compartments and ignore what I dont need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
blakflag wrote:
Not nearly as elegant (or expensive), but for my complete Arkham collection I bought one of these Iris 12x12 large organizers, and two stackable divided trays which go inside it. I got it at Michaels. It's pretty much perfect for storing all the bits and pieces from AH. (Aside from the boards and decks of cards which I keep together in the base box)

http://www.irisusainc.com/p-869-sbc-350e.aspx

I'll take a picture of the filled case if I get a chance.

To answer your question, yes it helps with setup time immensely because I just pull whatever I need from the various compartments and ignore what I dont need.

What is a "stackable divided tray" and where do you get it?

I would think card storage would be a pretty important part of the overall concept?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ridley Bojangles
United States
Cape Elizabeth
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The large plastic container holds two high of the 12x12 trays, and they are divided up like a Plano box.

No it doesn't hold the cards. For the cards I use a set of 4 business card holders. They're perfect! I just keep the cards arrranged in them permanently. (except the mythos and other world cards, those just stay in the box)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Mercer
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I own the case from PTS Formal Accessories, and I will say that it fits everything nicely, with room for additional goodies. I own all 8 expansions and all of my cards are sleeved. All of the tokens fit nicely in the bottom. Ancient Ones/Heralds fit in the larger space on the bottom as well. I can usually fit a dice bag down in there as well.

I have a lot of additional swag for my game, including the LITKO gates, monster markers, and Elder Signs.

Let me answer some of your specific questions:

1) That depends on what your current set-up solution is. It does help keep cards separated, as well as keeping the tokens separated. However, when you are playing the game, you not only have to find a place for the board and all of the cards/pieces in play, you have to find a place to set the box. Also, you pull the card trays out, and they will need to go somewhere as well. There is a lot of unpacking/packing/unpacking when it comes to this solution. You'll be in and out of the box a lot.

2) Yes, because you can keep things moderately separated in the individual compartments. If you separate things out, you better have some kind of index card to label where things are going. Sleeving the cards makes the stacks thicker, and some of them I can't group like I would like without them being packed tight in certain compartments. The small cards especially cannot all fit in the one box designed for the small cards. I have over-flow of cards that I keep in the compartments at the bottom of the box.

3) Not really. If you stack up all 5 Big Boxes and 4 small boxes side by side to this thing... the box is still bigger.

4) Yes, because it fits EVERYTHING that you need (except for monsters figurines). They have a separate box for Monster storage if you are really inclined, but that box is nearly the same size (if not slightly bigger) than this one. With everything loaded in this box, it does get very heavy. It has a handle to carry it like a giant suitcase, but I am always nervous to do so. If the latch comes open, everything would topple out. Best to carry it two handed and upright.

I'm always going back and forth between storing my game in this box and keeping everything out and on display with the Crafthulhu display pieces. This game is my hobby, so I've put a lot of money into it. I love the Crafthulhu pieces, but it won't help for portability if you are wanting to pack things away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.