Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jersey Joe
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our very first play of Viktory II a special situation developed which brought up a number of questions.

Blue began an assault on Green’s mountain City. This city had one canon in it and received naval support from a Frigate.

Blue used two frigates to transport four infantry into the city. Blue's frigates ended up occupying the same square. We assumed that was legal as ground forces can occupy the same square. Both Blue's frigates ‘bombarded’ the neighboring Green frigate and both missed. The four invading infantry got only ONE die and succeeded in hitting the Green canon.

Green's defense was calculated at four dice [one for the canon, one for naval support, and two for City/Mountain] Miraculously Green rolled FOUR hits!, none of which was a 1. The Blue player wanted to remove three of his infantry and one frigate, thereby leaving one infantry in the now defenseless Green city, so that he could now claim it for his own. Green insisted, and I, who own the game, agreed, that his defense attacks were all at the ground troops/infantry. He had not tried to bombard either Blue frigate, so the Blue player could not choose here, instead the four infantry should be, and were removed. Consequently, Green held his Mountain city for now.

Was this the correct ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, to me at least very clearly, his defense attacks were all at the ground troops/infantry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Very cleary in the rules also (Version 1.1 at least). Top of Page 9, Top of Left Column:

Quote:
Remove Casualties: Both Players now place their casualties in their respective reserves. All hits must be applied to enemy military units in the Battle hex.

Towns, Cities, and adjacent Frigates providing Naval Support are never subject to casualties.

The key words are "in the Battle Hex" which is further clarified by the second statement that Naval support can't absorb hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jersey Joe
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to you both for the answers, and the rule reference page. I've only read them about four times, and I guess I still have a few more to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, blue's frigates could not be in the battle hex. They need to remain in a water hex adjacent to the battle hex.

The only time a frigate can enter a port is during port transit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.