BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Galva (2015 mint tin contest) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Adams
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Update: The files have been updated to the final version for this contest.

Hello. We have been working on a 2-player competitive puzzle/strategy game for the 2015 Mint Tin Contest. Players reveal and manipulate tiles in 5x5 grid with connecting lines, attempting to create a path from a generator tile on their side to a generator on their opponent's side. Details below:

Game Name: Galva

Designers: Kevin Adams, Chun-­Tse Huang, Stephan Cantero

Overview: Two generator plants are fighting for control of the city's power grid. Players reveal, rotate, move, and connect path panels to create a route from their generators to the opponent's to eliminate each other's generators.

Suggested Play Time: 20-30 minutes

Components: 20 path panels, 5 blue generator tiles, 5 red generator tiles

Pictures (paper prototypes for now; you can download the full components below):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5fxhb4lti7z09x/Galva%201.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kn3dzjxufgrc54/Galva%202.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nm9qaff58fwyh9t/Galva%203.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zd1h430jpaxpol5/Galva%20Mint%20Tin...

Rules:

PDF:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6v9pam9ubqdegw/Galva%20Rules.pdf?...

PNG:

Components:

PDF:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xkuwfx9a87aphnd/GalvaComponents.pd...

PNG:

We are still developing the art and rules. Additional features may be added to vary the game and help avoid stalemate situations. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Estill
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Here's a quick tip: Your pictures have strange backgrounds. Consider retaking them because they are rather difficult to look at. Great aesthetics though! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the contest! Off to a great start. Good luck to you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some quick questions for you.

1. How do you decide who goes first?
2. Is there a reason that all of the tiles aren't revealed at the start of the game?
3. Would a random setup each game give 1 player an advantage over the other?
4. Can you take the same action more than once per a turn?

The diagrams in the rulebook help a lot. I'm interested to see how the playtesting goes. Keep up the good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arwen Boyer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
The rulebook looks great so far! The art is simple yet effective and makes it much easier to follow and understand how your game is played. One quick question, though: you write that players are allowed three actions per turn. Do these three actions all have to be different or could the player flip over three new path panels for their three actions? Also, after a player flips over a new path panel, they can then rotate it (and choose which direction it is facing) all as a single action, correct?

Your game seems really interesting. Keep it up!! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Slick little game. Very nice.

One minor comment and one question I think I know the answer to, but I will ask anyway:

Comment: "Reveal" is really reveal + rotate, so it seems like a "super action". Could/should you have players reveal a token and NOT have the opportunity to rotate it as well? To do this you would have to define a consistent reveal motion, like: "Reveal token by rotating in 180 degrees towards your opponent".

Question: If I eliminate one of your generators, is it a legal move to move a path of panels so that one panel is pushed into that spot where your generator used to be? I'd guess the answer is "no", but you may want to clarify that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another minor detail...

I like the clean, simple graphics. But, since the red and blue marks are the key info, should they be bigger, wider? This may help 50+ gamer like me see them more easily in poor light.

Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo playtest:

It's a brain burner solo playtesting (playing both sides). A few moves after this, each side ended up taking one of the opponent's generators out. But, it will take a while to finish the game.

This is a good game. Well done!

To my earlier comment about thickening the red and blue lines...
I don't think it is needed for readability / visibility, but it might be good to do it for better "at a glance" understanding of the status of the game. Looking at the photo above, for my eyes and brain at least, it takes me 5 or more seconds to see what's happening since there is so much to visually digest: the brown spaces between the pieces and all the gray on the pieces make it difficult to quickly see the red and blue paths. To demonstrate this, see how long it takes you to find the path that is 1 piece away from making it from red to blue. I think making the red and blue lines 3 or 4 times thicker might make them "pop" more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SN CG
msg tools
Hi, Good questions!

1) The players decide who goes first, we believe that the order does not add or subtract to the gameplay.

2) The reason why the tiles are not revealed from the start is to make sure that the setup is unbiased. since the tiles are facing down, neither player can setup the board to their advantage.

3)There existed a near impossible chance that one player may have an advantage over the other, because of the elimination of tiles, but we planned to eliminate that possibility by having a total of 20 tiles that form the 5x5. This means that the missing 5 tiles will not be included and the remaining tiles are equally distributed.

4)Yes, you can take the same action more than once per turn.

I hope that made sense, if not, feel free to ask away.

~ Stephan Cantero (GALVA)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SN CG
msg tools
Thank you Scott A! You bring up a good point when it comes to the "super action", though do you think it is bad thing that the reveal action has two functionalities? As for your question, no, it is not legal to move a path into a spot where a generator use to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SN CG
msg tools
Thank you! You can do any action you want, as many times as you want, within the 3 action limit. That is correct, so far, reveal includes reveal + rotate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SN CG
msg tools
Thank you Scott A, and good point! We will make sure to work on the art so that it is easier for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Eravelios wrote:
Thank you Scott A, and good point! We will make sure to work on the art so that it is easier for everyone.

The new artwork is much improved. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Ham
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great artwork! I do wonder if your path example is a bit confusing:

Since color is so important, it might not be ideal to use the yellow (turning the blue paths to green and the white paths to yellow) to show the attack path. One solution would be to show the board twice, one image without the yellow overlay next to one image with the yellow overlay--but perhaps that's too wasteful of space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.