Hide
19 Posts

Roll for the Galaxy» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Examples of a successful consume strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Can people post summaries (build order as a minimum) of successful (at least within a couple of points of winning)?

It looks relatively easy for builders to be getting very efficient turns by getting effective dice back through discounts, rebates and bonuses while building or settling. Plus builders are in a better position to get 6 development tiles.

To compete using consume it looks like you really need to have a perfect storm of stuff to work. (At least from my naive perspective.) At the very least, it looks like you need to be more careful in how you play, to make it work.

I am hoping some examples might give me a clue on how to make a consume stragey work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Desrochers
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on your starting tiles. That can guide your strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
vdesrochers wrote:
It depends on your starting tiles. That can guide your strategy.

I was looking for specific examples. Yeah there are a couple of factions that give you credits when producing, but they don't seem to be good enough so that I'd want to try to do a produce/consume strategy with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cuesta
Ecuador
Guayaquil
Select One...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't give you an specific example. THere are just times when you see your tableu and the other players' tableaus and you see its a good time to focus on production and consumpton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need good starting tiles for shipping(including purple die)+powerful shipping development(preferably 6-cost shipping dev.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
RoadHouse wrote:
You need good starting tiles for shipping(including purple die)+powerful shipping development(preferably 6-cost shipping dev.).

Part of what I am looking for is how one should handle the cutover from engine building to running the engine. This is part of what makes produce/consume harder to execute than a builing strategy where you really don't need to make a cutover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find the link to the images of the individual tiles, so I'm using this

and this
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/122045/roll-galaxy-lis...

This is the most specific I can get, as I haven't played that many times (crossing fingers for a digital version one day vs. AI!)

Consumer Markets + Space Mall
Earth's Lost Colony

2 blue dice, and Consumer Markets gives you +$1 per IV. Getting credits back goes a long way towards keeping tempo

Galactic Survey Headquarters for a 3rd blue die. Getting 3 to 6 VP per V should be enough to make P-C worth the while. Perhaps some reassign powers into the mix to better ensure you get the workers you need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cuesta
Ecuador
Guayaquil
Select One...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THere is a point in the game when you see that you can end the game by consuming goods. if you can consistently gain at least 6 points per round i'd said you are doing ok, and that is not that hard, just six dice per round (three of which must match the planets). And that is just doing ok... with purple dice you could be doing 9 points per round out of 3 planets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I can't find the link to the images of the individual tiles...

rollpics.tk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QuimeraEC wrote:
if you can consistently gain at least 6 points per round i'd said you are doing ok, and that is not that hard, just six dice per round (three of which must match the planets). And that is just doing ok... with purple dice you could be doing 9 points per round out of 3 planets.

Per round? Are you assuming that someone is either Producing or Shipping for you every round while you do the other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cuesta
Ecuador
Guayaquil
Select One...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
QuimeraEC wrote:
if you can consistently gain at least 6 points per round i'd said you are doing ok, and that is not that hard, just six dice per round (three of which must match the planets). And that is just doing ok... with purple dice you could be doing 9 points per round out of 3 planets.

Per round? Are you assuming that someone is either Producing or Shipping for you every round while you do the other?

Ideally yes, but you are right, I forgot about phase selection, but its still 6 dice and you you could still be building and developing from the other phases people play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Alexander
Sweden
Röbäck
Västerbotten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on what rendomized start setup you get, and thats what i love about the game. you get a random hand, see a path and run with it and see how good it turned out when the game is over.

Consumer market is by far one of the great shipper-factions. I managed to get alot of cheap +1 blue die worlds which ended me up with 5 blue worlds that i could constatly produce and ship from ending my game at 52points with little else then cheap planets and re-assign techs and a ton of VP-tokens. However, it should be mentioned that 2nd place was 50points with a strong develop tableu including a 6+ scoring massive! So even in a very solid game for my part (where things worked out nice with explore etc) i wasnt running away with it at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
Bloodylips wrote:
It all depends on what rendomized start setup you get, and thats what i love about the game. you get a random hand, see a path and run with it and see how good it turned out when the game is over.

I realized it depended on starting tiles, but it seems even with the three starting factions that I expect would work OK for produce/consume (consumer markets, genetid lab and mining industry), I still find it hard to do better than a building strategy.
Bloodylips wrote:

Consumer market is by far one of the great shipper-factions. I managed to get alot of cheap +1 blue die worlds which ended me up with 5 blue worlds that i could constatly produce and ship from ending my game at 52points with little else then cheap planets and re-assign techs and a ton of VP-tokens. However, it should be mentioned that 2nd place was 50points with a strong develop tableu including a 6+ scoring massive! So even in a very solid game for my part (where things worked out nice with explore etc) i wasnt running away with it at all.

That helps. I wasn't sure about how many worlds one should build before switching to produce/consume. Most of our games end up with the winner in the mid forties to low fifties, so it does sound like produce/consume has a chance if things go well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Extensive experience with Race. Only a dozen or so with Roll.

brunowolff wrote:
Bloodylips wrote:

I realized it depended on starting tiles, but it seems even with the three starting factions that I expect would work OK for produce/consume (consumer markets, genetid lab and mining industry), I still find it hard to do better than a building strategy.

In Race, start worlds give you a direction of how to go, but it should only influence about 20% of your decision. I've seen Old Earth go military when it gets +4 in military strength, with some nice military worlds towards it to boot. Or New Sparta go P-C when it gets a bunch of cheap production worlds and IV powers to utilize all of those goods towards VP.

AFAIK in Roll, you should be about as adaptive there as in Race.

brunowolff wrote:
Bloodylips wrote:

That helps. I wasn't sure about how many worlds one should build before switching to produce/consume. Most of our games end up with the winner in the mid forties to low fifties, so it does sound like produce/consume has a chance if things go well.
It seems more so than ever in Roll vs. Race, you can't just rely solely on VP from P-C. You need an engine as well. For one, in Roll, without credits, you won't be able to buy back enough dice to properly get enough workers for IV and/or V to do those. In Race, you only need to worry about having the cards in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
I have had some success with genetics lab. It seems three green worlds, 10 dice and the ability to reassign 2 dice will let you be pretty competitive. Also having galatic renaissance makes the position really strong.
With this position once you start produce consume, you aren't going to do many speculative actions. It is going to be easier for builders to draft off your ship to get cash for worlds they build that start with goods or just draft a single die on each produce and consume for a high value world to get some extra credits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
I think part of the problem I have with pursuing produce consume strategies is that for a lot of the produce consume technologies, they only help you in the future if you do end up following a produce consume strategy. Where as most of the technologies supporting building things can be used in the short term regardless of the long term strategy. So I tend to keep technologies that help build things and not ones that help with produce consume. And then it is less beneficial to switch to produce consume later, so I will generally stick with a builder strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Bruno,

In terms of a consume strategy, much will likely depend upon starting tiles and what tiles you pick up later. But what I tend to do is use blue (Novelty) and potentially brown (Rare Elements) world production for Consume (victory chits) and green (Gene) and yellow (Alien) world production for Trade (credit). The value of blue worlds for Trade (3 credits) is minimal, but as Consume simply looks at colors of die matching the worlds, blue (and sometimes brown) worlds are most efficient for Consume to get victory chits.

If possible, I like to get at least two green and/or yellow worlds (which also have higher numbers), normally using one of the worlds for Trade, the other for Consume. In other words, split the production of worlds between those leading to Trade (credits) and those leading to Consume (victory chits). In that way, you'll hopefully have enough credits each turn to refill your production engine. Failing that, a combination of one green/yellow world with one blue/brown world can work, using the green/yellow world for Trade, and the blue/brown world for Consume.

The most difficult situation (in my opinion) to work with is nothing but blue worlds: not only are the number values low, but you'll likely need to have 3 blue worlds churning out production, using two blue worlds for Trade (to give you 6 credits), and one blue world for consume. With just two blue worlds, you'll be starved to get enough credits through Trade if you split worlds between Trade and Consume.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
That strategy seems kind of slow though. I think that produce / ship strategies need to be faster than build strategies as late game builders seem to score better than late game shippers. (At least in two player games. With multi-player, who has help will make a big difference.)

How are you getting enough shipping workers? Are you also regularly picking up reassign powers, getting purple dice or doing partial shipping regularly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guttag
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Bruno,

I normally use this consume strategy in combination with a build strategy. In other words, my consume strategy is complimentary to my build strategy.

Initially, I'm building (through Settle) to get 8-12 dice, hopefully more in the green, yellow and purple category. What this consume strategy does is (once you get enough dice and worlds to place dice on for Production) is allow you to efficiently retrieve dice from the Citizenry (using credits from Trade), at the same time boost your VP total (through getting victory chits from Consume). In a close game, those victory chits can be the difference between winning and losing. That's especially true in 4-5 player games.

Also, similar to Eminent Domain (where you get VP chits through Trade), you can use a Consume engine to "close out" the game before others build some development/world tiles having high numbers that would put them ahead of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.