Popular Tags: [View All]
PAUL OCONNOR
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My regular VASSAL opponent Ed Wehrenberg and I gave this one a go ... it looked signficantly imbalanced, but we soldiered on anyway. This was my first experience with the Pacific module and I wanted something short and simple. And I got both.

I had pretty much the perfect hand sequence for the Japanese. Started off with an infantry assault in the middle, which let us charge up the beach, clear some wire, and put a hurt on the Marine unit in the center bunker. We followed up with a couple additional center moves and some pincer cards, and after six turns or so the Japanese had won the game 6-1, taking the airfield, the bunker near the airfield, the center bunker, the bunker on the extreme right, and killing two enemy units (finishing off by a point-blank destruction of the hapless Marine unit on the airfield).

It really seems like the deck is stacked against the Marines, here (and the DoW site shows reported games favor the Japanese 76% of the time). The Marines aren't positioned to fire at the Japanese in their vulnerable beach landing positions (only the single artillery unit can reach the surf line). The Marines don't have enough units to really take advantage of their "+1 unit" command card rule. The Marines don't even have enough units to occupy all the objectives they need to hold.

The Japanese have piles of infantry, and the Banzai and close assault rules serve them well in this scenario.

Just curious if anyone has had significant success as the Marines in this scenario. Ed played his position well and even hit me with an airstrike but it seemed like there was pretty much nothing he could do in this one. Even if I hadn't drawn the perfect Japanese hand it sure looks like a walk-over for Japan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I lost badly...tried a pincer move to take positions on both sides of the field, but I just got pounded back. In my defense, the Marines had tremendous dice luck, and mine failed just when I needed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris carleton
Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this scenario last night. The marines won both times. The wire slows the Japanes down enough that they didn't overwhelm as easily as we thought they would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this scenario 3 times last Monday. Japanese won the first in a rout but had perfect cards. They won the last two games but in both the Marines had a chance for the win. The Marines did not roll well when they needed to and lost both games by 1 Medal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.