Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Watching the teaser videos, it seem that FOD has a similar feel to eldritch horror. You can either move or "prepare for travel" by getting train tickets, depending where you are you can get items, events happens and the main goal is to cooperate to defeat evil, altough in this case a player actually plays the bad guys. According to the cards, there's even the "delayed" mecanic (skipping a turn, not my favorie part of eldritch)

I'm interested in FOD but never played earlier versions, and I do own EH so I was wandering how much of a different experience it would end up to be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McGillivray
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
couteaupapillon wrote:
Watching the teaser videos, it seem that FOD has a similar feel to eldritch horror. You can either move or "prepare for travel" by getting train tickets, depending where you are you can get items, events happens and the main goal is to cooperate to defeat evil, altough in this case a player actually plays the bad guys. According to the cards, there's even the "delayed" mecanic (skipping a turn, not my favorie part of eldritch)

I'm interested in FOD but never played earlier versions, and I do own EH so I was wandering how much of a different experience it would end up to be?

That's a really interesting question. I own and love both games but it never occurred to me that there were many similarities between them. I suppose there are some but I think FOD has a ton of cat-and-mouse feel and has genuine tension and excitement. EH feels much more like you're playing against the game and what you're trying to accomplish just doesn't have the same urgency to me. My two cents. Good question though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for your insight Kevin! I was expecting FOD would me more of a proactive experience, glad to read this is the case!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I don't know anything about FoD 3rd ed, but I do own 2nd ed, and it only has the most superficial of similarities to Eldritch Horror. They're COMPLETELY different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FOD 1 St and 2nd edition were more like Scotland Yard with vampires and combat. 3rd hasn't been released yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Good to know, like I said I never played FOD, good to hear peoples say they are different beasts. I guess for me they seem to share more in term of vibe than in actual gameplay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also, what are the basic actions for the hunters in the second edition? Sometime in Eldritch, I find underwhelming that my only options are basically to move or prepare to move, I wish there was ways to interact more directly with your environment outside of the event phase, is that the case in FOD?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All speculation this, but based on the information available at the moment, it does look like train travel may have become like EH, in that you get tickets before moving rather than rolling a special die. Another possible similarity is that there is a delayed mechanic which may well be the same as appears in a number of FFG games including Eldritch & Arkham Horror.

That the combat system is different in that they now seem to have done away with dice rolling in the new FoD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hermsen
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both Eldritch Horror and the 2nd edition of Fury of Dracula. I would say that the game that FOD most resembles is Scotland Yard, but with vampires and combat involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
And do you feel that as hunters you have relevant actions in FOD second edition? Or do you feel that sometime like in eldritch, well can't really do anything so might as well prepare for travel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
couteaupapillon wrote:
And do you feel that as hunters you have relevant actions in FOD second edition? Or do you feel that sometime like in eldritch, well can't really do anything so might as well prepare for travel?

In second edition, there is no preparing for travel, you either travel or not (although you might fail if trying to go by rail), then you must search and may have an encounter. After that (if you haven't had an enciunter) you have the option to rest, resupply or trade.

It is clear that 3rd edition has changed somewhat though, so it is probably best not to form too many opinions on that based on peoples' experience of the 2nd edition.

The most significant differences between EH and FoD is that the former is a fully cooperative game, whereas the latter is competitive with one player versus the rest who form a team. A second difference would seem to be no dice in FoD 3e.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe lachance
Canada
montreal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaveD wrote:
couteaupapillon wrote:

In second edition, there is no preparing for travel, you either travel or not (although you might fail if trying to go by rail), then you must search and may have an encounter. After that (if you haven't had an enciunter) you have the option to rest, resupply or trade.

It is clear that 3rd edition has changed somewhat though, so it is probably best not to form too many opinions on that based on peoples' experience of the 2nd edition.

The most significant differences between EH and FoD is that the former is a fully cooperative game, whereas the latter is competitive with one player versus the rest who form a team. A second difference would seem to be no dice in FoD 3e.

Thanks H-B-G, that clarify things up! I am aware the 3rd edition will have some changes, but from what I've seen I'm not expecting a total overhaul of the previous versions so it's relevant to compare them and get an idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Firth
United Kingdom
near mold
flintshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this 1 vs all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firthaa01 wrote:
Is this 1 vs all?

Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.