Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Loades
Australia
Queanbeyan
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Apologies if this general topic has been posted elsewhere, but...

Games on BGG with an app version on the iOS App Store have a link in the "Information" panel of it's game page, and in the "Shop" column of game lists.

How about adding links for games on the Google Play Store and Steam? And other electronic versions - web, etc?

There are plenty of board games for Android, and it would be good to see game app developers putting giving Android a little more attention. If BGG were to highlight Android games, they way it does iOS games, then these developers might be encouraged to step up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at VideoGameGeek. It is sister site to BGG, your same password and username and account will be used. No need to make a new one. All your geekgold works there, you keep your microbadges... everything is the same. The only difference is it is about videogames.

And since you are asking about video game versions of board games, it is perfect for you!

It covers Android and PC and Linux and Mac and iOS and even console versions of board games. And that is just to scratch the surface! It also covers video games like Doom and Call of Duty and Super Mario Bros!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sloades wrote:
Games on BGG with an app version on the iOS App Store have a link in the "Information" panel of it's game page, and in the "Shop" column of game lists.

The itunes app store link is an ad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
It would make sense to cross-link digital implementations of board games in the full credits of a BGG entry, so that someone can pop over to VGG when they want to check out the iOS Agricola or whatever.

Edit: found it. "Video game adaptation" is one of the types of linked items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There's also this GeekList: Android versions of actual boardgames, which may or may not be comprehensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For weblinks, including sites for online play, check out the weblinks module on the game's page. You can select the category "online play" (but if none come up, you may want to browse through the links, as they may not be categorized yet).

Here's the example for Agricola:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31260/agricola#webli...

Select Online Play from the Category dropdown menu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
indigopotter wrote:
For weblinks, including sites for online play, check out the weblinks module on the game's page. You can select the category "online play" (but if none come up, you may want to browse through the links, as they may not be categorized yet).

Online stores are explicitly disallowed from the web links module, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
a_traveler wrote:
indigopotter wrote:

Online stores are explicitly disallowed from the web links module, though.

yeah, links to the Apple Apps Store, Steam, Google are considered commercial links

the Geek does have a feature to link to the App Store
in a similar manner that we have links to Amazon
(these links are a source of revenue for the Geek)

example: look at Small World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
...and then the reason there's no equivalent "Play store" box at this moment is because there's currently no affiliate program for the Google Play store. (I read last month that they're planning one, though, so who knows, what the original poster was requesting might not be too far away...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's got to be a way for BGG to include the app store links for a game without causing some kind of conflict of interest. I understand that BGG wants commercial entities to pay for advertising, but I don't see how an app store link is different from a link to the official web site where you can buy the game directly at MSRP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Wheeler
United Kingdom
Shepherds Bush, London
Great Britain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too would love to see links in each game page, for the Google Play Store, where relevant.

I'll admit that I have a personal interest in this, in that I have just signed a contract to write my first Android Game, and would really appreciate an opportunity to highlight the availability of the app to people who may not know of it's existence.

If finances/affiliates are a reason against, then I see no reason why they can't put a link in now and wait for the potential affiliate scheme that has been alleged to be in the works. They can then switch to the affiliate scheme links once they exist. This isn't costing bgg anything, and will improve their users experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Wheeler
United Kingdom
Shepherds Bush, London
Great Britain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any update on this?

Is there an official features request forum where i can post this, in case this isn't the best forum?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea Swallow
United States
flag msg tools
admin
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to. –Alfred A. Montapert
badge
These computers on our desks are turning into portals to other realms of existence…realms that will one day be preferred to earth. –Edward Castronova
mbmbmbmbmb
sloades wrote:

How about adding links for games on the Google Play Store and Steam? And other electronic versions - web, etc?

There are plenty of board games for Android, and it would be good to see game app developers putting giving Android a little more attention. If BGG were to highlight Android games, they way it does iOS games, then these developers might be encouraged to step up.

Digital/app versions of board games are entered on videogamegeek. On VGG we can link to the iTunes store. There is no section for the Google Play store because there is no affiliate program. This may change in the future if Google implements one. After the site redesign is complete I hope to see a feature for Steam links.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Wheeler
United Kingdom
Shepherds Bush, London
Great Britain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidding wrote:
sloades wrote:

Digital/app versions of board games are entered on videogamegeek. On VGG we can link to the iTunes store. There is no section for the Google Play store because there is no affiliate program. This may change in the future if Google implements one. After the site redesign is complete I hope to see a feature for Steam links.

Hi,

I've just looked at the VGG page for a game I am making for android, and as it's already out on iOS, all those details are entered, so how would i be able to get my app in?

I appreciate the lack of affiliate program is preventing Google play links. Let's hope that changes someone soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Wheeler
United Kingdom
Shepherds Bush, London
Great Britain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidding wrote:

With the news that Apple are shutting down the affiliates link for all iOS apps, does that mean the link on the BGG page will be taken down?

Or, may I suggest, keeping it and adding the android/steam link if available too.

It would make a hell of a lot of difference to us app developers if the link was there on the BGG page rather than for users to have to go searching on the VGG page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea Swallow
United States
flag msg tools
admin
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to. –Alfred A. Montapert
badge
These computers on our desks are turning into portals to other realms of existence…realms that will one day be preferred to earth. –Edward Castronova
mbmbmbmbmb
wheelerruss wrote:
With the news that Apple are shutting down the affiliates link for all iOS apps, does that mean the link on the BGG page will be taken down?

Or, may I suggest, keeping it and adding the android/steam link if available too.

This is a question for the devs.

Most admins on the site are unpaid volunteers. We cannot make changes to the sites code or implement new features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Wheeler
United Kingdom
Shepherds Bush, London
Great Britain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidding wrote:
wheelerruss wrote:

Most admins on the site are unpaid volunteers. We cannot make changes to the sites code or implement new features.

Thanks for replying so swiftly.

How do I contact the devs to request this new feature?

Appreciate the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea Swallow
United States
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wheelerruss wrote:
Forbidding wrote:
wheelerruss wrote:

Thanks for replying so swiftly.

How do I contact the devs to request this new feature?

Appreciate the help.

They read the suggestions section of the forums. Otherwise I believe Scott and Daniel are the ones who code the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Wheeler
United Kingdom
Shepherds Bush, London
Great Britain
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, well hopefully they spot this thread going near the top again, but I'll also ping them a quick, pleading message, to see if I can talk them into it

There's quite a bit of support for it to be added. I wonder if I held like a poll or something, they would be interested?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.