Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
marcus jones
United Kingdom
Pinner
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmb
My family and I have played four games so far, all 3 or 4 player. We like the game, but find it always takes between 3 and 4 hours - a bit too long. I have read a lot of the other threads and we don't seem to be do anything technically wrong, but I've wondered if we are adopting the right strategy. We all seem to try for the high scoring headlines early in the game with the result that we have only 1 ready hero and a supporting hero to fight the lead villain. As we often end up with trouble levels of 9+ (before reduction by the heroes) we end up fighting some powerful villains with powerful back ups. Final result is we fail quite a few headlines and it takes longer to score victory points. Can anyone please advise a strategy for 3-4 players to keep the game down to 2-3 hours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a long game particularly if you are playing a scenario that last more than 2 turns (the beginning scenario often only last 2 turns). It depends on how many fights there are. If the threat isn't reduced enough to make there be no fight than the game can really drag on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, even games that run only three or four rounds have still taken at least three hours to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess like all games it depends how familiar you are with it. When your players spend ages looking at all the cards, what each hero does in every combat, etc it takes ages. If people are up on the play it is reasonably short. Have taught this game about 9 times so far and some groups are quicker than others. The basic scenario, when playing with people for the first time can take a while, even if it last only 2 turns (as it almost always does). Usually if people know what they are doing the game takes about 1 hour, but there are a lot of decisions and if you don't what is best it takes a while for people to work it out.
Good luck.. If you are having to help people make optimal decision it is very long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't finished a game in only two turns yet and I'm glad. I'd want a bit more for my money. Total time has been on the long side, but I think I've only once played with someone who already knew the rules. Players understandably want to guess at which headlines others are going for during planning as well as checking out the enemy's stats during combat. With new people, that can make the game last longer as they search all over trying to locate where these numbers are. I won't even pretend I have all of the stats memorized or anything like that, but I can more quickly look WHERE I need to look without having to search all over for info. Thus, my turns are shorter. *I* really don't care how long this game takes as I am always interested throughout even if it's not my turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 4 players who know the rules we can do Born Again in about 2 hrs tops. Maybe 90 mins. 15 VPs...that's usually no more than 4 rounds, and usually 3. 5 VPS per round isn't too demanding, really.

I agree though, the first few plays people are atill looking at the art, reading all of the powers, and learning all of the variables. That adds a LOT of time.

9+? Wow. Do you get any freebies where you reduce trouble to 0? We get several of those every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United States
Jamaica Plain
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
9+ is really high. You must not be taking folk in with the apropriate skills. I would suggest making sure that your support has the skill needed to stop boosting on the headlines if your ready hero doesn't. That alone should save you a few points on headlines and get you weaker enemies which will get you more fights faster. In our games free headlines are not uncommon as they are often reduced so low that no one has a Villian that can be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcus jones
United Kingdom
Pinner
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, guys, for the helpful comments. There's an interesting divide between those who have played a game under two hours and those, like us, who find it longer. I think as we get more familiar with it we might make it to 2 and half hours, especially if we make sure we get the right abilities to troubleshoot. I think we'll stick to the basic Born Again scenario for 3 or 4 games before we try the more ambitious scenarios again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.