Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Re: [WIP] The Hunt [2015 Tin Mint Contest]
Welcome to the contest! Thanks for participating. It's always nice to see collaborative efforts. Good luck to you three!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Typo on the crossbow

Quote:
Each arrow can be used to shoot throw...

that should be through.

The lantern says it can light any side of the board. What constitutes a side? one of the four sides? Half the board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Some quick questions for you.

1. Will the monster be able to change its initial placement after seeing where the knight gets placed?
2. This is a 2 player game - correct?
3. Is there a reason movement is limited to 1 space?
4. Why can't the knight use items the first 2 turns?
5. When illuminating a tile, is the tile flipped over?
6. How will you keep track of the lantern and how many turns its been used?
7. Both players will be able to see each others pieces while playing - correct?
8. How does combat work?
9. What are some of the meaningful decisions each player has to make?
10. How will the knight be unable to see where the beast is?

Hope this helps a bit. Keep up the good work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Estill
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Quote:
1. Will the monster be able to change its initial placement after seeing where the knight gets placed?

No, we plan on adding a rule that states that both the Monster and the Hunter cannot attack on their first move, to prevent such a case where the two players happen to start next to each other.

Quote:
2. This is a 2 player game - correct?
Yes it is.

Quote:
Think of it in the sense of most board games with space-based movement, unless you get some ability that says otherwise, you can usually only move one space at a time. So going off that general idea is why you can only move one space at a time.

Quote:
4. Why can't the knight use items the first 2 turns?
Since the Hunter knows where the monster starts, it would be incredibly easy for the Hunter to lock down the monster within the first few turns with the use of items, so to make it a bit more balanced is the main reason. Two turns is enough to escape the Hunter's vision, but not quite enough for the Hunter to have absolutely no idea where the monster has gone.

Quote:
5. When illuminating a tile, is the tile flipped over?
The board is all connected, it isn't a bunch of separate tiles, so no, nothing would flip over when something is illuminated.

Quote:
At the moment we only keep track of it by memory, in the future though we'd like to have something physical to help keep track of that.

Quote:
7. Both players will be able to see each others pieces while playing - correct?
I'm glad you asked this, as we were not aware that this was not already stated in our rules, and this is a major point of the game. No, the Hunter will not know where the monster is, however the monster will know where the Hunter is. Hence the idea where the Hunter is confined to the light of the fire while the monster hides in the darkness.

Quote:
8. How does combat work?
Eventually, when we get a formal rulebook up, we plan on having visual aids to help with questions like these. So there is no real combat, if one attacks the other, that's it. It's difficult to describe via text, but the idea is if you land on the pace next to where the Monster/Hunter is, you can then attack said space, killing whoever was standing there. A little confusing, I know, that's why we want a visual aid.

Quote:
9. What are some of the meaningful decisions each player has to make?

There are a slew of examples I could give here, but just to name a couple:
The Hunter has to decide carefully when and how they want to use their items, as they have a limited amount, and once they use them all, the only weapon they have against the beast is attacking into the dark.
The Beast has to think carefully about how they want to move, since they're both trying to avoid the Hunter's attacks while simultaneously trying to kill them, which they can only do my getting close.

Quote:
10. How will the knight be unable to see where the beast is?
This was something that stumped us for a good while, but we finally came up with a solution today. So the idea is there will be a magnet inside the tin mint that the game comes in, and on the "floor" of the tin will be a grid numbered 1 - 12, the monster will put the magnet on the grid, and use this to keep track of what space they are in relation to the actual game board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Estill
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Quote:
What constitutes a side? one of the four sides? Half the board?

If you reference the picture provided in the original post, each side of the square constitutes one side. For instance, tiles 1-3, or 4-6 of the outer square are each two different sides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
cnoisy wrote:
I'm not sure if these are genuine questions or just points you think should be addressed in the rules, so I'll go ahead and answer your questions, and in the future I'll make sure that the rules address more of these points.
That is half of what WIP threads are for - asking about the game and getting answers from the designer(s). A word of advice: even if you don't think a question is genuine, don't say that! It sounds like your belittling the person asking questions.

cnoisy wrote:
Quote:
Think of it in the sense of most board games with space-based movement, unless you get some ability that says otherwise, you can usually only move one space at a time. So going off that general idea is why you can only move one space at a time.
I respect your choice to have movement be one space at a time, but your premise is just not true! There are many methods of moving in board games, not just one space at a time. I highly recommend playing a wide variety of games to see how other games deal with movement.

cnoisy wrote:
Quote:
At the moment we only keep track of it by memory, in the future though we'd like to have something physical to help keep track of that.
I agree you definitely need to add something physical to keep track of that! A lantern tracker, tokens, even just rotating a card with different numbers on the side would help.

cnoisy wrote:
Quote:
8. How does combat work?
Eventually, when we get a formal rulebook up, we plan on having visual aids to help with questions like these. So there is no real combat, if one attacks the other, that's it. It's difficult to describe via text, but the idea is if you land on the pace next to where the Monster/Hunter is, you can then attack said space, killing whoever was standing there. A little confusing, I know, that's why we want a visual aid.
Visual aids are great - but they are just that, aids. You need to be able to explain your rules succinctly to have a good rulebook - and believe me, a good rulebook is not easy to create!

Your combat does not seem that hard to describe: if your character is adjacent to the location of the Monster/Hunter, you may attack and kill the Monster/Hunter. Provided you can see the Monster/Hunter. I imagine the Hunter can't just flail around in the dark hoping for a hit.

Some advice on rules - write them as if the person reading them has NEVER played a game before. You need to explain everything - every little detail - so that no one will be confused. Even things you think are blindingly obvious.

Sorry if my response sounds harsh - it's not that I hate your game, in fact, I rather like it (it reminds me of Hunt the Wumpus), I just want to help you make it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Estill
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Yea, I definitely wasn't trying to belittle the person, so I apologize if it came off as such. And no, your feedback wasn't harsh at all! I greatly appreciate your response, and I definitely plan on bringing those ideas you offered up with my teammates. Thank you for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries! I try to be extra polite when talking online since there are no facial or vocal cues to go with my statements (but I'm no stranger to saying things that can be misconstrued as being rude online!)

Good luck with your game! I can't wait to see the next version of your rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klock
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
From playing your game today, it seems that the monster can easily cheat by lying about their moves. I'm not sure how you would fix this, but please look into a solution. Other than that though, the game is very fun and the knight has all the tools necessary to beat the monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest looking at Nuns on the Run for how to do hidden movement in a game. It has a sheet for the characters which tracks all movement, which no one else can see during play, since everyone is supposed to be asleep in bed. At the end of the game, the winner reveals their sheet, and the other players verify that the locations they were at were valid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Estill
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Re: [WIP] Kill or Be Killed [2015 Tin Mint Contest]
Update:

-Updated the title of the game to a more permanent? name. It's still technically tentative, but the team is much happier with this name than with the last.

-Updated the image of the game board to a more finalized version. This is the version we plan on putting up when we get all of the printable components up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Estill
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Quote:
At the end of the game, the winner reveals their sheet, and the other players verify that the locations they were at were valid.

Yea, that's very similar to what we've been doing for testing, where we have the monster simply record their movements on a sheet of paper, the only problem is that I feel as if that can become a little tedious, especially for games that run on for a long while. We don't have any means of keeping track of each turn either, so there are still a few kinks to work out there.

And I do like the idea of using sheets that have the turns numbered, so you could easily backtrack, but then there are still a few issues that arise from that, such as finding a way for such a thing to fit inside a little tin mint case. We'll definitely look more into that though, thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a small pad of paper and a tiny pencil would be able to fit in a mint tin!

As for tracking turns, have you played around with the idea of the campfire lasting only _ turns, and when it runs out, the game ends (because clearly, the monster would eat the hunter in the dark.)

It could be a way from stopping the game from running too long, and would give you a plausible reason to introduce a turn tracker - or a light tracker in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Estill
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Quote:
As for tracking turns, have you played around with the idea of the campfire lasting only _ turns
I really like this idea, and I feel that it could definitely balance the game more. But before we decide whether or not we actually implement it, we're gonna have to do some testing.

But thanks for that, that was very helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, glad you liked the idea.

Testing is key - so let us know how that turns out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Estill
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Update:
Updated:

The rules. They're now more specific and they're closer to the final version.

The game board is now prettier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Abbott
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Any final advice on these would be greatly appreciated before we put them into an official rulebook!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Estill
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Re: [FINISHED] Kill or Be Killed [2015 Tin Mint Contest]
The game is FINISHED!

Thank you all for your help in the process of making this game, I hope you all enjoy it as much as we do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls