Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Do you have to buy multiple copies for parallel game play in two groups? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Myke Fly
Germany
flag msg tools
PACG Playmat System with over 500 playmats
badge
Check out my free Premium PACG Playmats
mbmbmbmbmb
If you replay the game a second time, do you know which cards & stuff is put in which envelope ?
Is the game map "ereasable"?

Or just a one-way game to the garbage ? ;-)
Play once and dump...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evidently all the scenarios are replayable as one-off encounters. I would not call the game "play once and dump" in any respect though because of the multiple groups that can play at once in the same Gloomhaven.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Burger
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly, there will be instructions for a reset and a pdf map file offered. You probably can't re-use the stickers and will have to use a marker to record your progress 2nd time around.

Edit: Thanks Blackbirch, I looked it up and it does indeed say:

"But if you ABSOLUTELY HATE STICKERS, we will still make available a printable PDF on BGG with everything you'd need to reset the game. At this time there are no plans to include any accommodations in the base box, however, because it is still against the intention of the game."

Which you already included in your post. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you take items out of natural envelope, you can write down what items you took out, so you will know what to put back.

As far as the stickers, I think people will come up with some creative ways to preserve the map and cards so that they can replay it. People can either make a copy of the map and use the stickers on it instead of the original map, or make a copy and just use a pencil or pen to mark where the stickers would go. As far as the stickers that would be put on enchanted cards, I'm sure there is a way to avoid marking the original cards permanently.

People can find ways to keep from permanently marking the components, but the designer's intent is for a one time use legacy game. But also to be able to replay one off scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J R
msg tools
Adamacer wrote:
If I recall correctly, there will be instructions for a reset and a pdf map file offered. You probably can't re-use the stickers and will have to use a marker to record your progress 2nd time around.
Indeed, it's in the faq on the kickstarter page:
Quote:
I have more than one game group, so I'm not happy about the permanent elements. How can I play with multiple game groups?

You can absolutely play the game with more than one game group. One of the central ideas of Gloomhaven is that you can play in the same world state with multiple groups and there is enough content and non-linear story elements to do so. You'll never need to "reset" because you'll be excited about how playing the game with some new group will continue unlocking stuff in the world you already spent so much time customizing.

But if you ABSOLUTELY HATE STICKERS, we will still make available a printable PDF on BGG with everything you'd need to reset the game. At this time there are no plans to include any accommodations in the base box, however, because it is still against the intention of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerold Wallis

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With regard to a map "reset", is the other side of the map board being used? If not, the same map could be printed on the other side for a reset (similar to the way viticulture is printed on both sides).

Probably too costly, but one side could even be laminated . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny S√łndergaard
Denmark
Kgs. Lyngby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jerold_wallis wrote:
With regard to a map "reset", is the other side of the map board being used? If not, the same map could be printed on the other side for a reset (similar to the way viticulture is printed on both sides).

Probably too costly, but one side could even be laminated . . .

Best compromise suggestion IMO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Myfly wrote:
If you replay the game a second time, do you know which cards & stuff is put in which envelope ?
Is the game map "ereasable"?

Or just a one-way game to the garbage ? ;-)
Play once and dump...

These questions are different from the question in the subject title and have different considerations.

Re the questions in the quoted text, I think it has been made abundantly clear that although it isnt the intended way to play, you can reset the game, it just takes a bit of work.

Re the question in the title regarding parallel play, it would be a pain to play completely separate campaigns with different groups. You would have to keep track of what each groups progress is and set the game to that state each time you switch groups. It would be like trying to share one game of Mage Knight between two groups and switching the active group after each round.

Isaac has stated the intended way to share one game with different groups is just to continue playing on the game as it is. That means some of the players would miss out on interesting in-game developments so doesn't sound satisfying to me (but fine for a quick skirmish for a random meetup).

So for a second group to play in parallel I think you would need a second copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the idea of a map printed on both sides, though. Sounds like a good compromise allowing two parallel groups or one reset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerold Wallis

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per the game author, use of the opposite side of the board is not being considered at this time due to expense, and the fact that it would only be a partial re-set (with numerous other things to reset as well)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imo the question in the title is much more interesting than what has been stated so far.

How do you play this game with 2 different groups?

Do you just keep your character and people join in/out leading to a discrepancy of XP/items amongst your party or are you supposed to play with different heroes for each group and just play on the same evolved map (probably leading to a sortage of fresh quests/the need to replay scenarios that don't give full loot anymore).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.