Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the past year, I've occasionally run across reviews for Minden Games, from the likes of

Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb

and

Derek Case
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Minden is a small outfit with unmounted counters--not typically my bag--but the reviews seem uniformly positive, especially for the solo gamer--which is my bag. However, there's not a ton of info out there about their games. Could fans suggest one or two of their games to help along curious folk like me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think overall they are very small games that you don't play again and again, but if you buy enough of them you will always have a few to play that have not seen the table for a while. Many have lists of random events to make them slightly different each time. Some are really clever, and they really shows how fun it can be to play a game that is so simple (and with so simple artwork).

Some favorites:
Cold Harbor II
Madagascar 1942
1914: Opening Moves

I think that First Day of the Somme can be good and has nice artwork. I have had it for probably at least 10 years. Just never got around to actually play. Tried to set up, ran into some rules questions, asked for help, got lazy with drawing a plan etc, just never got to the point where I started moving and rolling dice as far as I can remember. Need to do something about that some day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmb
I really love these. When they work, they are an amazing example of high-level design, with important aspects of a military situation boiled down to a very tight core model. They're almost always short, so you can play multiple times and think you're learning something. At least, I think I'm learning something. Like you pointed out, most of them are very easy to solo, if they aren't explictly designed as a solo.

I've really enjoyed 1914: Opening Moves and Fall of Berlin (I see that the latter will now be reissued by One Small Step in a spiffier version). I'm about to explore Destruction of Force Z, Battle for Bataan, and Fall of the Philippines: MacArthur's Defeat, 1941 as part of my next Wargames To Go episode.

Edit: fixed errors in BGG coding
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They have a Facebook page, but it's listed under their magazine "Panzer Digest":

https://www.facebook.com/Panzer-Digest-Magazine-137311326311...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Wright
United States
El Dorado
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of their games have counters that aren't really necessary to cut out or mount in order to play, like the Salvo games, the Battle of Britain dogfight games, and Eindekker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.