California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad,

You got rid of the following rule?

If a player ever has greater than 40 VPs, he immediately
wins the game.

Why? I think it adds another strategic layer to the game and another motivation for the attacker to keep the pressure on the defenders. Maybe I am biased because I would have won scenario 4 if the aforementioned rule is still applicable. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
The sole reason for that rule existing during development was because the VP track only has room for 20 spaces on each side of zero and the VP marker only has two sides (+0 and +20).

I decided that this real-world arbitrariness wasn't worth a game-relevant rule (especially one as important as losing the game). And having 40+ VPs is rare enough that it's easy for players to keep track of the excess for a few turns when it does occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm pretty sure if I was 40 VPs down I'd surrender anyways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:

It depends which objectives were in the game, but there are at least 2 ways to make it.
- Obective 5 can be worth 18 or more points (10 and 5 vp + 3 vp for any of the objectives.) If you take an VP objective, you just made 36 VP (opponent loses 18, you gain 18) To have such a large lead means that those objectives are likely in play.
- If you kill enough opponents to fill the space with is surrender marker.

Never give up! Never Surrender! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've come back from being "down" 35 points and given my opponent a hard run for his money. If I remember the game correctly, he only won by 1 VP.

NEVER surrender! NEVER concede!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jensen
United States
SANTA ROSA
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Richard is entirely correct here. If your opponent currently has 40+ VPs, it's likely because of a very valuable Objective under his control. Take that Objective (while also eliminating its occupants, btw) and you could now be winning the game all in one fell swoop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.