Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

New York 1901 is a tile laying game that is very easy to teach and learn to play. Despite this ease into the game, the game does have interesting decisions and is deeper than one thinks at first glance. There are a couple of fiddly rules included, but the design is very solid and a good game is the result.

1901 is a bland looking game with great art. Let me explain. For the most part, the cards are just colors and shapes which are exact replicas of the tiles you are laying. Functional and good design, but maybe a bit boring to look at. The art on the other cards are wonderful.

The game itself is very good. The game is tight and has interesting and difficult decisions. I do question whether the game will last 10 years, but you will get plenty of plays out of the box. There is spatial decisions and blocking that occurs throughout the game. This is a race to score VP and to then put yourself in a position to keep that lead. This is harder than one thinks it will be.

The idea behind the game is you are building skyscrapers. You start out building smaller ones and then you at some point will demolish these to build larger ones. You really have to be careful when you upgrade and how quickly you upgrade as you must upgrade bronze to silver to gold (or build nothing to silver/gold). You must get the right real estate first and then start building, but you don't want to fall too far behind as the end of the game will sneak up on you.

This is a solid construction and a much anticipated game. This game came with some hype and it delivers. While likely not a long term classic this is a game that you will have a lot of fun playing and it will create a fun atmosphere. The theme works in the game and the end of game scoring is not too swingy. There is a lot of planning in this game that sneaks up on you. Buy this game and enjoy.

Keeper.

Components:

Wood/plastic: As great as this game would be with 3D effects, the buildings are flat tiles in different shapes. The buildings lie flat on the board and the shapes of the tiles is the main way to tell the difference (they are also worth different number of victory points). The scoring markers are plastic skyscrapers and they are really nice. Each player also gets 4 miniatures of workers that are fantastic.

Cards: The main cards are the mini cards that represent the buildings you can build. They are tiny, but don't take up too much table space and are functional. I am not crazy about the art used on these cards. The remainder of the cards are normal sized and have wonderful art work on them. They are mainly used for end of game scoring.

Art: The art is a mixed bag. The box on the art is incredible. The art on the scoring cards is great and are very nice. The building cards are bland and has forgettable art work.

Board: The board is nice, but isn't anything you will write home about. The board art is mainly just the possible shapes of buildings. Bland at best.

Type of money/vp: VP is tracked with a scoring track around the board.

Final Grade: The components are top notch. The cards could be a tad thicker, but the components are top of the line. The tiles are very nice and thick. I don't have any complaints.

Rule Book:

Color/B/W: Color

Pictures of components: No

Picture of game set up: yes

Pictures included: Yes

Example of playing the game: No

How long to read the book: 15-20 Minutes

Player Aid: Yes, there is a single sheet that includes a quick reference

The rules are easy to grasp as what you can do on a turn is very limited and easy to digest. The decisions you are given are hard, but the mechanical options are limited to two. The rules are very good as written and the pictures help.

Flow of the Game:

Goal of the Game:

The goal of the game is to score the most VP. This is mostly done by building skyscrapers either for the points listed or hopefully for bigger points at the end of the game.

How it plays:

Players will take turns gaining real estate and building buildings or by demolishing their buildings to build larger buildings worth more points.

Turn of the Game:

1. Acquire Land/Build - You choose 1 of the 4 face up cards. These card will give you a color on the board you can take the real estate and place one of your workers on it. After taking the real estate, you may then build a building and score the number of VP.

2. Demolish/Rebuild - You may tear down a building and any adjacent buildings to build another building. The main rule is if you tear down a bronze you must build a silver on it and then a gold over a silver.

* In addition, at the start of the game some random cards will be placed face up that will score VP at the end of the game. Some will give you VP for certain buildings and others will give you VP for building on certain roads.

** The main decision in the game is where to build and what to build. Being unable to upgrade if you do not plan accordingly so knowing when to build and when to demolish is very important. Decisions will not haunt you for the rest of the game, but if you don't demolish and rebuild smartly you can reduce the amount of points you can get. You always get more points for upgrading bronze to silver to gold, but this also takes up valuable actions.

*** There is also a 4th possible building you can build. These are high point buildings that each player can build one of them (they are worth different number of VP). You would build one of these instead of building a gold building).

Should I buy this game?:

This is a fun little game that can be played by families or by gamers. It can be played as a cut throat game or a more friendly game. The game grows as a thinker as the game progresses. The rules are simple and easily digested, but I would introduce it after playing Ticket to Ride level games. A good, solid addition to your collection.

Keeper.

*The images posted with this review are not mine and are images I found on BGG. If you click on the image, you can see who posted it to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked it, but after three plays it just didn't grab me like I wanted. I don't mind simple games cause I own and play a lot of them. But I felt like this game was too simple for what it offers. Imo, every single choice was always obvious to me based on the end game goals. It's a beautiful game, the components are top stuff, and it's well designed. But this one sadly, just wasn't for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SapoLJackson wrote:
I liked it, but after three plays it just didn't grab me like I wanted. I don't mind simple games cause I own and play a lot of them. But I felt like this game was too simple for what it offers. Imo, every single choice was always obvious to me based on the end game goals. It's a beautiful game, the components are top stuff, and it's well designed. But this one sadly, just wasn't for me.

Maybe I'll get there. Not my fav type of game, but I liked the theme and the components. So far, the decisions are interesting to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:
SapoLJackson wrote:

Maybe I'll get there. Not my fav type of game, but I liked the theme and the components. So far, the decisions are interesting to me.

Do you have the gencon promo cards? They def add a lot more variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SapoLJackson wrote:
william4192 wrote:
SapoLJackson wrote:

Do you have the gencon promo cards? They def add a lot more variety.

No, I don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.