BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Card games for up to 6... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Can you guys suggest some good, cheap but deep card games that support up to 6 players? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheepshead, played over a series of hands, is a pretty good fit. Bohnanza as well. Neither of them is extremely deep.

7 Wonders plays 6 and has a lot of strategy, but it isn't cheap.

Quartermaster General is getting some great reviews and plays 6, but it isn't cheap either.

Edited to remove Quartermaster General, as it may not meet the definition of "card game" since it has a board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Garnet Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tichu

purely amazing game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A standard principle in business is the triangle of speed, quality and low cost. The maxim states that you can have any two by sacrificing the third, but you can never have all three.

Your request sounds a little like that: cheap, deep, and plays up to six. (I'm also assuming you want the game to be good.)

I agree with the suggestion of Bohnanza. It's not the deepest game, but it does have real tactical decisions to make. It works fine with six players.

You might consider Diamonds. Not expensive, and plays six (in teams). It is a trick-taking game with a fun twist. Again, not the deep end of the pool, but it has some significant decisions to make.

Card games are rarely at the deep end of things - especially for large player counts. Perhaps you could give a better description of what you consider "deep".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Fabbi
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
Proud member of the Cult of the New.
badge
The King of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Clubs
2 New Salem
3 +1 7 Wonders
4 Saboteur
5 Impulse
6 Parade
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you want from the game.

Saboteur
The Resistance
Good Cop Bad Cop
Coup
For Sale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q B
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what your definition of "cheap" is, but Dominion is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
If by deep, you're looking for a strategy game, as opposed to something on the med-heavy party game style, then I think your best bet in terms of popularity is:
Race for the Galaxy with Race for the Galaxy: Rebel vs Imperium to play up to 6
although the expansion is almost the same price as the base, so you're getting close to $40 total, but you could start with the base.

Although Doomtown: Reloaded says it only plays up to 4, I think this is because it only comes with 4 decks - original Doomtown could play 6. I think there are some expansions with new pre-built faction decks to add to the base 4. I don't think I every tried the original with 6 players, but I did always prefer it with more than 2. Again, the base set is cheap to try out, but with 2 expansions to field 6 decks, it's getting pricy.

And I haven't tried it, but Provincia Romana looks pretty good, supposedly good with 6, and currently on Amazon for ~$20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
bri4jenn wrote:
Tichu

purely amazing game

Great for 4, but I would never recommend for 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loot
Unexploded Cow
Gloom
Wizard
Sequence
Pit
Rage
Sushi Go!
Nile DeLuxor
these are what come to mind. How deep are you looking as most of these are light. Just cards? how about just using a basic deck of cards? how cheap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Karpavicius
Lithuania
Kaunas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played 7 Wonders with 6ppl, but i've heard that it's wayyyy too random.
I can recommend Citadels and it usually comes with Citadels: The Dark City expansion.
also +1 Saboteur but it's not deep also Dixit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno van Mark
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Poker
+1 Citadels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jorenas wrote:
Haven't played 7 Wonders with 6ppl, but i've heard that it's wayyyy too random.
I can recommend Citadels and it usually comes with Citadels: The Dark City expansion.
also +1 Saboteur but it's not deep :) also Dixit

Well, you don't see any of your original hand again, but I wouldn't call 7 Wonders random. I much prefer 6-player 7 Wonders over Citadels. Citadels was fun in its day, but it just takes way too long.

While mechanically quite different, Bang! The Dice Game has completely fired Citadels in my collection. Saboteur is fun (I still need to try the expansion I have) but again we'll always choose Bang! The Dice Game first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Gray
United States
Astoria
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incan Gold is sort of a card game but it's definitely worth mentioning. It's push your luck, but everybody has the exact same chance. There's no randomness that gives one player an unfair advantage. It's simple to learn and exciting to play even after many plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theresa N
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Libertalia comes to mind for me. Plays up to 6. Supports a lot of player interaction, especially if the players are willing to get into the theme as pirates trying to fight for booty. arrrh Lots of fun, and is a very smartly designed game. I wouldn't say it's deep necessarily, but it does require a certain amount of thinking and out-thinking your friends.

+1 Bohnanza
+1 Bang!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.