Brian Fouts
United States
San Martin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnomi is a quick strategy card game about mushroom-farming gnomes. Steal mushroom cards from other players, and use your gnomes to enact special abilities. Once cards have been used, you flip them up-side-down in your hand. The last player with right-side-up cards in their hand wins.

Gnomi is designed so that you can play anywhere, since your hand is also your discard pile. After dealing, you can keep the decks in your pocket.

Deduction and resource management are needed to win.

Play a quick game while waiting in line, or as a filler at game night. Games take 10 minutes. 2-6 players.

With the included golden expansion, you can play a set of 3 games for gold points. Most gold wins. This usually takes 30-45 minutes.

We failed to hit our funding goal the first time around on KS, but we are going to try again. We've tried hard to make improvements based on all the feedback we've received. Send me a private message for the PNP link.

Now on: Version 8
Last Edit: Large overhaul and V8 available. New cards, golden expansion, art, and graphic design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fouts
United States
San Martin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We are trying to make a game to fill a niche. I've never seen another game that can be played while standing up so that it can be played while waiting in line.

I'd love to hear what gaming you do (if any) while killing time in line.

Poll
Do you ever play card games while standing in line?
No
Yes - Mobile versions of card games
Yes - Actual card games
      47 answers
Poll created by Bgfouts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed out Murder's Row from the 2015 solitaire PNP contestant. It can be played while standing in line (a hand of 10 cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fouts
United States
San Martin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Random Order wrote:
I printed out Murder's Row from the 2015 solitaire PNP contestant. It can be played while standing in line (a hand of 10 cards).

Cool. Can you share a link to more info on that game? A quick search didn't turn up anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oddball Äeronauts also goes for that play-in-hand size
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
[WIP] Murderers' Row --- 2015 Solitaire PNP Contest --- Contest Ready
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Grimstad
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love gnome themed games, but don't have time to playtest right now. Hope you get this worked out. Would be an instant buy for me if priced right just based on theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also Dragon Punch that can be played standing around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fouts
United States
San Martin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike is starting to make more Gnomi art. Here's a work in progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fouts
United States
San Martin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I got in my first 6 player game yesterday. It went about 35 minutes. That's way too long! I think the main culprit was the card that lets you flip 3 and everyone else flip 1. It got played 4 times over the game. It also created a weird situation where a player was eliminated, but wondered if they could get back into the game. I let them, but that was a weird ambiguity that doesn't seem worth keeping. I'll probably remove this card in V3.

Also, with six players, it was really hard to keep track of what everyone had. A few players also took most of the game before they "got it", while others got the idea pretty quickly. One guy was complaining that he had no idea why he would pick one move over another. I think I will add a few sentences in the rules to clarify the basic strategy. Something like:

"Try to deduce what mushrooms the other players have. Taking other player's mushrooms will keep your hand larger than theirs."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fouts
United States
San Martin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few more sketches of Gnomes. What do you all think of the art?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the look of these. It'll be nice to see different pics for the different gnomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we've had a two-player game of Gnomi and I've sent you more detailed feedback, but to sum up some key points:

* My daughter (nearly 9-y-o and an experienced gamer) and I enjoyed the game in general - in fact she wanted a second play right away, so that's pretty good.
* She found managing the fistful of cards a bit of a challenge, so ended up with her cards on the table, hidden behind a large book. (This was probably worse because of our cards being a bit flimsy and in penny sleeves.)
* The bit that she had difficulty remembering was that two mushrooms are used to claim a RANDOM mushroom rather than one chosen by someone.
* Our games took about 10 minutes each.

Good luck with developing the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fouts
United States
San Martin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We did some more play testing. We found that the person who draws the card that let's you just look at 3 other cards is at a big disadvantage in the game, so we are going to remove that one.

Also, we added a fun twist to connect each game together, since games are so short. The winner of the previous game goes first in the second game, and they start with a special card, called the "Golden Gnome" that is gold on front and back.

Mike Gourdin has completed a bunch more art, I will try to upload version 3 tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bgfouts wrote:
We did some more play testing. We found that the person who draws the card that let's you just look at 3 other cards is at a big disadvantage in the game, so we are going to remove that one.

Sounds sensible. It's all very well having extra information, but if you don't have the ability to act on that intelligence it is worthless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fouts
United States
San Martin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 3 of the PNP is now available. Same link as before if you have it. Otherwise, send me a Geek Mail for the link!

Big update, the game now has all of the art it will get prior to the KS. It's looking great!

We've added icons in the upper left for all the gnomes to help with hand management.

Happy Halloween!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Downloaded (thank you for the mail), looking forward to print it out and try it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Sosnin
United States
Sparks
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
A 2-4 player Trick-Taking card game with devastating skill cards & unique gameplay.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bgfouts wrote:
Here's a few more sketches of Gnomes. What do you all think of the art?

Brian, I really like these drawings. Cant wait to see these cards with little painted "scenes" like this.

So I have about 6 games under my belt so far. Two with a buddy, four with my wife. Figured I can give a short review/feedback.

First impression: I was a bit confused as to the strategies involved on my first play. We were just playing and passing cards around. That was a common emotion it seemed. Until the end of the first round - the strategies and variety came right through. Was a cool feeling actually.

After a few plays: My wife has won each game we've played. I tried all sorts of different ways to play. She picked it up quick and we played back to back and had fun. She had a bit more trouble holding the sleeping gnomes and compost cards once she took a bunch of mine, but that wasn't a big deal for me.

Overall: I think this game fills this niche quite well. It's light, super quick, it's fun, and best of all it can be played with out a table. There is some interesting choices to make and some great tension as you get towards the end of each round. There are a few situations where stacking some gnomes can be very powerful, but every card game has this to some extent so maybe this is no big deal. Plus I've only had the chance to play as a 2 player game. I have a feeling it will be more interesting with more.

Looking forward to see where this game goes.

Best,
Fedor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fouts
United States
San Martin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback so far everyone, keep it coming!

A few rules clarifications... I will fix these in the next version:

-For Olga/Kayden/Finn/Luca/Aiden, you get 1 of each if they have them.
-For Sophie, you do not have to reveal.
-For Finlay, you only get the mushrooms, not the compost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fouts
United States
San Martin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I found another issue this weekend. I got two Sophies and was able to continually wake up one and then the other for the rest of the game. The other players were unable to stop me.

The new wording on Sophie will be "Wake up a Gnome, except Sophie. (Do not reveal the gnome.)"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fouts
United States
San Martin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be at BGG.CON next week with some really legit prototypes I had made for the con. Let me know if you want to play!

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fouts
United States
San Martin
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
So the prototypes arrived at BGG.CON with nothing but red mushrooms! The manufacturer is correcting the issue, but in the mean time we got out a sharpie, and also played with an older prototype.

We played about a dozen games at BGG.CON, and demoed the game for about 40 people, including Undead Viking and Rahdo.

We got some more feedback as well. We'll probably stick with this version for a few more weeks then publish one last PNP version with some subtle tweaks before the Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my game can be played standing in line as well

New World Colony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Sosnin
United States
Sparks
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
A 2-4 player Trick-Taking card game with devastating skill cards & unique gameplay.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bgfouts wrote:
So the prototypes arrived at BGG.CON with nothing but red mushrooms! The manufacturer is correcting the issue, but in the mean time we got out a sharpie, and also played with an older prototype.

We played about a dozen games at BGG.CON, and demoed the game for about 40 people, including Undead Viking and Rahdo.

We got some more feedback as well. We'll probably stick with this version for a few more weeks then publish one last PNP version with some subtle tweaks before the Kickstarter.

Thats awesome! Bummer about the prototypes though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Brian: Are the files still available for someone who just found out about the existence of this game?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.