BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: New board game addict - Games to fill my library rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Liaz
msg tools
Hey all!

This is my first post on BGG, so hi!

Being a new board game enthusiast, I've started to build my board game library. I've played Catan and Ticket To Ride quite a bit, don't mind playing them, but don't own them really because of that.

Games that I do own are Pandemic, Pandemic-On the Brink, Quelf, Race for the Galaxy, Five Tribes, and Smallworld. Card games I own include Uno, Pit, Spot It, Phase 10, and We Didn't Playtest This at All.

I love fast paced games like Nertz and Dutch Blitz as well.

I've also played and enjoyed Twilight Struggle, Mage Wars Arena, Carcassone, 7 Wonders, The Resistance, Dominion and Puerto Rico.

That should give you all a little history of my gaming experience.

I've taken interest into Codenames, Avalon, and Love Letter...

What games would anyone recommend/suggest for me to try out? With so many games I've never played, my analysis paralysis is keeping me from committing to buying any games.

Thanks in advance!!

~john
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello and welcome to the trap.

Maybe tell us more about your playing group?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! It looks like you're off to a great start already!

You list an impressive variety of games that you've played and that you own so it might be a little tricky to make accurate recommendations. But if you like fast paced games as you say I would recommend Escape: The Curse of the Temple. It's a dice rolling game that plays in real time on a ten minute timer. It's a really crazy fun time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome John!

How awesome is this hobby? You post reminds me of when I first got into modern board games, that's a great list of games you have experienced already.

So what other games do I think you might like to try? (I'll assume that you can access some of these from a local game store library or game group). Just off the top of my head now:

King of Tokyo
Lords of Waterdeep
Splendor
Dixit
Kingdom Builder
Tokaido
Alhambra
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Castle Panic
Trains
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Formula D

Now I'm not saying just because I like all of these you will too, but I think all of these are at least worth a try, if you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Drange
Norway
Kristiansand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have at least a passing interest of history then wargames/conflict simulations might be worth a look. Not everyone's cup of tea, but a subgenre quite different from what most other games offer.

A couple of suggestions for where to start:
Combat Commander: Europe Small WWII infantry battles combining units on a map with playing cards. A good choice if you think you would have a regular opponent or would enjoy playing online.

Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege or one of the other games from the "Standard Combat Series" family. Simple rules for a wargame, but very typical for the wargame genre. And with attention to historical details. A good choice if you think you might enjoy soloing a simulation of a well known battle by yourself as an alternative to playing against an opponent.

A Distant Plain or one of the other COINs if you want something slightly like Twilight Struggle, but for 4 players. Quite far from your typical wargame and more abstract than most, it is still a simulation of real world events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Chan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the fold.

I remember the excitement and eagerness when i discovered this hobby about 3 years ago. I understand the rush and need to go and find the next new games, especially when there are so many great options out there . My suggestion would be to go and find a gaming group / community. This not only increases your playing group, but get you the perfect opportunity to try out a bunch of games before you take the dive and buy them.

If that isn't something you are considering then I think r0t1 question of what's your play group like is one which you should highly consider. If your play group doesn't like war games...then it's probably not a good idea to buy war games. If your play group has a hard time with heavy euros, then you probably want to buy games that arn't so heavy.

That being said take your time and enjoy it...there are so many games coming out each year that you'll never catch up....you probably also want to stay clear of kickstarter too....lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Liaz
msg tools
Thanks!

Unfortunately I just moved Oklahoma to Colorado, so I'm actually trying to find a new playing group, and/or start a playing group here, both of which seem like it may be tough to do.

I also love teaching new games, so any games that would be good gateway games into possibly getting more friends hooked would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Chan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah moving to a new area is always tough.

But there are many resources. Meetup.com

or on BGG forums you can post in the Game groups

https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/92/boardgamegeek/southwest

If your brave you can also search for people with the same area code as you and send them a pm to see if they can help you in search of gaming or information. You can use BBG for that...

https://boardgamegeek.com/users.php

click on find users with google maps then it'll give u a list of BBG users around your area you can check their profile and message.

If you want a game gateway game suggestion.
I go with splendor. The game is easy to teach, easy to learn, fast to play, and you feel a like your building up. It does have its cons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which games would I recommend you try? All of them. I've been on BGG less than a year, and all I did the first few months was read as much as possible about every game that sounded interesting to me. It seems like you could enjoy any type of game based on what you listed. So read forums, threads, geeklists, user comments, other recommendations threads, reviews, etc.

If you think you're going to play with new gamers, I would get Ticket to Ride or Catan (with the Cities and Knights expansion), so you have those games that you know well to teach new people. If you find you end up playing with an established group, what you buy may depend on everyone else's collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Josh. Welcome to BGG!

Like the previous poster mentioned... do your research. It can be an expensive hobby so you want to research and watch videos of gameplay to make sure you really want a game.

With that said... I would recommend some "classics" for you to start with:

Agricola- most would say this is the best game, from one of the best modern designers. It is most likely heavier than anything you have played, but incredibly rewarding.

The Castles of Burgundy- Same as above, this one from another designer. Not as heavy as the previous game, but one every gamer should have in their collection.

Dominion- deep playing card game which builds your deck as it goes. A lot of expansions available for this one.

Finally, one of my own favorites which is not considered a classic by any means, but has a nice following.

Zombicide- Fast paced, zombie survival. Your characters advance "levels", find more equipment, etc. Certainly not very deep, but a great game experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
Betrayal at House on the Hill (Hands down AWESOME!)
Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia
Saboteur (Way better traitor game than The Resistance)
Galaxy Trucker (Very fun game!)
Munchkin (everyone needs a play)
Runebound (Second Edition)
Seasons
Dungeon Dice (fun dice rolling character building game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Fahl
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
No, I can't tell you....it's a secret.
badge
Mudflaps
mb

Welcome!

If you are going to be playing solo, check out this Geeklist: SGOYT.

Here you will find a list of great games that have official solo variants or can be played solo.

For solo play, I really like Lewis & Clark, Splendor, and Claustrophobia(Have to play both sides).

Also, go get yourself an avatar: No Geek Left Behind... (How to get an Avatar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Splendor, Castles of Burgundy, Dominion, Dixit, and Alhambra.

Also some other games to check out:

Red7 - my favorite card game, cheap, easy to learn, tough to master, always play with full advanced rules
Smash Up - just watch a video on it
Takenoko - gateway like TTR
Biblios - auction, card drafting, fast and strategic, cheap
Suburbia - City building, bidding, tile-laying, economics
Coup - Deduction
Dead of Winter - Co-op
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Evolution, Imperial Settlers and 7 Wonders. Those are some of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a game collection until it has Cyclades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RCH RCH
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Class of 2004
badge
It's not Jackie Chan!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend Power Grid. It's a modern classic and it doesn't break the bank to buy it.

It's a fairly heavy game, but I find it's not that hard to teach to new people. I will warn you that the rule book is not all that great (rules are hidden in weird places) and it will be a lot of stuff for YOU to learn, but a lot of the rules complexity comes from knowing how to change the power plant market as the game progresses. That's something that really only YOU have to learn. The people you are teaching don't need to know the specifics. The rest of the game is fairly intuitive.

I'd also recommend Liar's Dice. It's my favorite filler and it's generally a hit with gamers and non-gamers alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on BGG near ten years now. Here's what I've learned:

1) Buy what your group will play. Do not buy anything unless you know for sure who will play it with you, when. I mean this.

2) Be aware that most boardgamers go through a progression. They start with Ameritrash, progress to Euros, progress to heavy Euros and economic sims, and then (many years later, usually) go to things like Tichu. This is not a hard and fast rule, but is a good guideline, especially when you are starting out.

3) Develop taste. This is the most important thing. It's like getting into wine. You need to figure out what you like, but you also need to learn about wine that experts like (which by the way is not always $1200 Bordeaux--a true wine connoisseur understands what makes a $10 bottle of wine great). Do this by tasting a lot of wine, I mean playing a lot of boardgames. Decide what matters to you--theme? Balance? Low luck? Why? Read about boardgames, especially ones featured on "Awesomest Games of All Time" geeklists. "Grail" geeklists are often very useful, since even if you don't want to pay $300 for a copy of Antiquity, understanding why people do will teach you a lot about great game design.

4) Be aware that most Kickstarter games, and a huge chunk of Ameritrash games, are the equivalent of Yellowtail. I don't despise Yellowtail because it's schmaltzy cheap wine marketed to ignorant drinkers. I despise it because, although it's cheap, it's FAR more expensive than it should be for what you get. Beware, especially if you're starting out.

5) Be aware of your collection at all times. Have definite criteria for getting rid of games, and definite ways to do so. If not you will be buried under a mountain of cardboard. If you are in a situation where that's OK--long-term house, tolerant relationship, lots of space--this may not be so bad. But games are like books...easy to accumulate, easy to ignore, incredibly difficult to move. Except you don't need 1-3 other people to read your books, and books take up a lot less space. Keep an eye on the accumulation.

6) Until you have developed reliable taste, test before you buy. Remember that there are a number of online options to do that these days!

My personal recommendations would be to start classic, with games that are worth owning over the long term. Puerto Rico, Twilight Struggle, Agricola, and Power Grid would all be good choices, assuming you can find other players. (Except for TS, these games are also relatively easy to teach to non-gamers with a little effort.) The BGG Top Twenty is another great source of games to try: these are generally worth learning about anyway in order to develop your taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Liaz
msg tools
Thanks for all the input everyone!

I guess I have a lot to learn!

Along with so much lingo! I'm guessing "Ameritrash" is some quickly, cheaply produced game that doesn't have much depth or replayability? (I felt proud of my AP reference, to be honest)

I've started doing a lot of research on the BGG Rankings, but didn't want to get caught up in the top 100 and never find those lower ranked treasures.

I may have a problem in that, I just like to play games. I don't mind getting drunk on the cheap stuff, but love finding a go to game, and games that bring a lot of people in (I'm not really an alcoholic, just going with the wine theme: cheap wine, finding the perfect bottle, and a social drinker)

Thanks again everyone! (And, cheers!!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnplayedthis wrote:
Games that I do own are Pandemic, Pandemic-On the Brink, Quelf, Race for the Galaxy, Five Tribes, and Smallworld. Card games I own include Uno, Pit, Spot It, Phase 10, and We Didn't Playtest This at All.

Consider Roll for the Galaxy to compliment Race - it's also easier to teach which is a major plus. If you want more coops, I'd suggest Forbidden Desert if you want a step lighter and mechanically similar to Pandemic, or Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island if you want something completely different mechanically from Pandemic.

Quote:
I love fast paced games like Nertz and Dutch Blitz as well.

Then you should look into Escape: The Curse of the Temple, Space Cadets, Space Cadets: Dice Duel and possibly Galaxy Trucker.

Quote:
I've also played and enjoyed Twilight Struggle, Mage Wars Arena, Carcassone, 7 Wonders, The Resistance, Dominion and Puerto Rico.

1989: Dawn of Freedom is an excellent compliment to Twilight Struggle, as is Wir sind das Volk! but is is heavier than either. My deckbuilder of choice is Core Worlds, while One Night Ultimate Werewolf and Spyfall may appeal if you like The Resistance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnplayedthis wrote:

Along with so much lingo! I'm guessing "Ameritrash" is some quickly, cheaply produced game that doesn't have much depth or replayability? (I felt proud of my AP reference, to be honest)

No, Ameritrash is not a quickly, cheaply produced game. It is just a stupid name that the "euro" games came up with. Ameritrash games are heavily focused on the theme, while euro games are about mechanics.

Ameritrash games are also influenced a lot by the chance, while euro games are more about the exactness and your skills.

Usually, since AT games are focused on theme, they just look nicer than euros.

Euros are more thinky while AT are more fun.

In AT you have a lot of player-player interaction, while euros are usually just solitaire games played with other people.

If you want I can give you few examples I enjoy from both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnplayedthis wrote:

No. It's a theme-centric game, with the design aimed towards delivering a rich thematic experience, with elegance and that good mechanical stuff secondary concerns, at best. The opposite school of design is the 'Euro', which aims for elegant mechanical goodness, with delivering a rich theme being secondary considerations at best.

How useful these two terms are these days is well open for debate - A lot of games are hybrids, with Ameritrash games often learning from Euros to streamline themselves, while Euros often learning from Ameritrash and delivering more rich themes than they traditionally used to.

Quote:
I may have a problem in that, I just like to play games. I don't mind getting drunk on the cheap stuff, but love finding a go to game, and games that bring a lot of people in (I'm not really an alcoholic, just going with the wine theme: cheap wine, finding the perfect bottle, and a social drinker)

Viticulture is an excellent thematic Euro themed around wine making, and theme really comes across well in it. The upcoming Essential Edition mixes in six of the expansion modules from the Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture expansion, also. I've played it 31 times so far this year, so there's definitely room to explore and keep dipping in there, though it's not my favorite game of all time (It is, however, in my top 5)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esed wrote:
johnplayedthis wrote:

No, Ameritrash is not a quickly, cheaply produced game. It is just a stupid name that the "euro" games came up with. Ameritrash games are heavily focused on the theme, while euro games are about mechanics.

...Err...

I'm pretty sure fans of Ameritrash were the ones to apply that name to them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simona Dostalova
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gizensha wrote:
esed wrote:
johnplayedthis wrote:

...Err...

I'm pretty sure fans of Ameritrash were the ones to apply that name to them...

Really? Sorry about that, I always thought that someone who likes something wouldn't call it trash... I enjoy both euros and ameritrashes but I just hate the name shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Salazar
msg tools
mb
welcome to the hobby. your wallet will hate you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.