Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anybody in central NC looking for some boardgame action? I live around the Burlington/Chapel Hill and would love to get together a group at my FLGS in Burlington sometime. Anybody interested?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Central NC?
We are starting a Boardgame Night at Hypermind in Burlington, NC on Tuesday Nights. Our first session will be next week, January 16, starting at around 6pm, and we plan on focusing on Settlers of Catan (and maybe a few other of the "transition" board games) for this inagural meeting.

Hypermind is located in the Gala! Plaza, which is right beside Lowes and behind the Merchant Tire and Azteca on Church Street. For more infomation, you can call 336-228-9828 or send me a PM here at BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a great time last night at our first BoardGame Night! We played three games of Settlers, one 5-player and two 4-player. It was my first time using the German terrain tiles (which are quite striking, by the way) even if we had to cheat and use the English development cards.

We also planned next week's session as well. On Tuesday, January 23 (at 6:00pm) we will be playing The Shadows Over Camelot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool. Ever want to play in Durham or Chapel Hill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Lee
United States
Burlington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris, I just wanted to add that while we were playing our 5-player game of Settlers, the group beside us played 1 game of Gulo Gulo

and 2 games of Tsuro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Chip. I was so obsessed with my mastery of the number "8" that I almost forgot .

And Ryan, I have spent a lot of time in Chapel Hill (that's where I went to college), and would be interested in playing over that direction sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had another great session last night! After two games of Shadows Over Camelot, Camelot itself was in ruins but everyone was convinced that the game was a big hit. Here's a few pics:

Our first game consisted of a full array of 7 knights. It was the first play for everyone except myself, but everybody picked it up pretty quick.

We were doing pretty well until we lost control of the seige engines and "Morgan" plopped down the last two for the loss. Mark was the traitor, so he alone enjoyed the sweet taste of victory.

The players were (left to right/clockwise): Ian, Chip, Zack, Alton, Mark, Denise, and myself (not pictured, obviously).

Ian and Chip had to leave before our second game, so only five knights braved our second attempt to save Camelot. Unfortunately, paranoia and infighting doomed this second attempt, as three of our white swords were turned to black from false accusations. Ironically, there was no traitor at all in the second game. After two lost relics, two dead knights, six black swords, and twelve seige engines, Camelot was in flames and the round table disbanded... at least until our next chance to play!

Next week will be "gamer's choice", so if you can come just bring your favorite "short" board game (so that we can play a few more games while everyone is there). We'll pick what we want to play that night and have another great time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Davis
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope to join you for some boardgaming at Hypermind soon.
I hope that Sat. nights would also be availalbe for boardgaming at Hypermind. That is usually a better night for me than Tues.

I play Mechwarrior there, plus a few other minis game.

I play a variety of boardgames from Euro titles to full blown wargames.
Right now, my favorites are Settlers, Memoir 44, Battlelore, Ticket to Ride and Twilight Imperium.

Denise indicated that for anyone interested in playing that we should simply bring our copy.
Would you have any preferences for games that I could bring?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's just so many games I haven't played yet that it really doesn't matter to me (including several that I even own!) Bring anything you like, and we'll decide as a group what to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! We had a very busy Board Game Night last night, and our numbers are steadily increasing! There were a total of 11 of us that actually played, plus two moms and a baby.

While people were still arriving, we played a quick game of For Sale. It was everybody's first time playing it, but was quick to learn and the game went well.

Then the "real" gaming started. Chip taught Ave Caesar to one group...

while I taught The Princes of Florence to another.

Once again, the games were new to pretty much everyone, but even those who weren't long-time gamers seemed to catch on pretty quickly.

Then we set up for the next round of games, which included Shadows Over Camelot (in the foreground)

and Citadels (in the background, and pictured below).

I also think that at least one game of Pirates of the Spanish Main was also played sometime mixed in there.

With the number of people that are beginning to participate, we pretty much decided to just continue to bring assorted games and let people choose what to play each time (since multiple games will be play by different groups). BoardGame Night is alive and kicking in Burlington, every Tuesday starting at 6:00 - join us sometime if you get the chance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also just started a Geeklist to help chronicle our gaming exploits. You can find it here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/19363
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Davis
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my favorite BGG forum thread!
;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin h.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm closer to Chapel Hill than Burlington also, GM me if you have a game night out this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Miles
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After going out to Burlington a couple nights for this group, I really can't recommend the Hypermind store enough. Especially for a store that's a bit away from the main urban areas, it has a great selection of games, is well organized with a good amount of playing space, and the owner is friendly and great to deal with. It's definitely worth a stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Davis
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
^
Absolutely!

I drive from Raleigh (an hour away) because everyone at Hypermind is friendly, and the store is a perfect gaming environment.

Everyone is welcomed, and it is a great mix of hardcore gamers, families and casual walk in gamers.

Frankly, there is NOT a better store in NC. If you live between Raleigh and High Point, you should definitely check out Hypermind. They would love to see or hear from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's definitely been my experience since I first discovered Hypermind. And while the store is beautiful, clean, and well-stocked, the greatest thing is still its owners (Nick and Denise are fantastic!) and the people who come to play.

I've never had an opportunity before to meet and play regularly with such a large, friendly, and fun group, and I hope this is only the first few months of a very long gaming relationship. And these game nights (mainly meaning the people who attend them) have also gone a long way to help convert my wife into a full-fledged, tried and true gamer! (She won all three games we played last night - 2 of BANG! and one of Tigris & Euphrates - both of which were new games to us).

Speaking of BoardGame Night, I need to get my computer back from the shop so I can upload some pictures and update my Geeklist from Saturday (Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) rocks!) and last night (my wife rocks!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.