Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Kempf
United States
Jefferson City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to say it's fairly light and you're possibly going to take that as a negative, but don't. Rules wise, the game is easy to teach and learn, the hardest part is explaining to folks how you score at the end of each round. But there is some depth in this one. Knowing when to push and when to try to delay triggering end of round. Best use of the influential figures can make or break you. You get some good gaming out of those 30-45 minutes playtime.

I said in my review, this one can confidently sit on your shelf next to that old copy of Ticket to Ride that you don't play as often as you used to, but when it does it's still just as fun as before, or as a game that you want to use to show to folks unfamiliar with Area Control
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Alex Kevern
United States
Mahopac
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two biggest influences for the game we're El Grande and Ra, so if you enjoy either or both of those games, I'd say you're likely to enjoy World's Fair as well. Perhaps shorter and easier to teach than either, but I think similar in terms of depth of decision making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Hoyt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A preview just went live this morning that I think will answer your question about the weight of the game and what you can expect from it:

* http://www.nonsensicalgamers.com/worlds-fair-1893-preview/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I heard a rumor that it weighs in at just over 2 pounds, which is really light compared to, say, Imperial Assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would describe it as gateway-plus, in that it is a great introduction to heavier concepts and can be taught and learned very quickly, but beware that the underlying concepts and strategy may be just slightly beyond a new or younger gamer to fully understand and utilize.

I can't see a heavier gamer not loving this as a medium-weight filler though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Fuss
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Any comparisons to other euro games?

Based one a single play at GenCon, I'd compare it as follows:

Gameplay: Ticket to Ride
Scoring: 7 Wonders

I can easily see this as a gateway game as the gameplay is really easy to pick up. Scoring and reduction of supporters are probably the most "difficult" things to pick up on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistergnome wrote:
The two biggest influences for the game we're El Grande and Ra, so if you enjoy either or both of those games, I'd say you're likely to enjoy World's Fair as well. Perhaps shorter and easier to teach than either, but I think similar in terms of depth of decision making.

I already backed and am now doubly pumped because those are 2 of my favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.