Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up the most recent edition of Empire Builder over the weekend and played a 3-player game. It was enjoyable, but I could see how many people have characterized this line of games as multiplayer solitaire.

I think I'd enjoy the game more if there was more direct player interaction, or a greater ability to impact the operations of other player's railroads. One of the links on this page leads to a site with rules for an auction system and a player-locking system for taking contracts. Does anyone have any experience with house rules like these that increase player interaction?

From reading various websites, it seems that many people play with the two-train variant. What other optional or house rules would you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Bump
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
Re:House Rules?
SabreRedleg (#19218),
I'm really quite sorry that you regard the "Empire Builder" style of games as "multiplayer solitaire". Perhaps it would be beneficial to play with three or more other players; a 4+ player game becomes much more challenging with the small cities becoming quite limited very quickly.

As far as other house rules go, my group of friends likes to add:
- purchase a fourth demand card (20 million)
- use 6-sided dice (2 dice to begin; "Fast Freight" upgrade allows third die if doubles are thrown on the first two; "Super Freight" upgrade allows three dice at all times)
- emergency loans if floods strand a train (payable upon first delivery after loan)

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamine Allen
United States
Grand Ledge
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have some variants that create more interaction between the players:

-barter for renting track instead of the set 4 million
-also, trading loads among players for money or other loads, needing to meet them in the same place
-talked about trading demand cards in cities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.