Subject: Please, PHG, yes to the printed game mat? Pretty please? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PHG teases with images of a very nice, thematic game mat.

Little hints (comments below the image on the image page)....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K AM
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

It looks pretty good doesn't it?

In their recent Periscope play of Tail Feathers PHG mentioned that they were considering making those playmats.

I hope they do.

KAM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Things to consider:

What material to make it out of
Should we have it in multiple formats?
What price point are we looking at?
Is there going to be a demand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For reference you can get a 3' x 3' mat from inkedgaming for $45 that has a somewhat similar theme. I believe it is made from a mousepad like material.

http://www.inkedgaming.com/collections/wargaming-mats/produc...

The official prototype mat above looks better, and I don't remember if the Tail Feathers playing area is that big. I would probably be interested in getting one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Material and price point are probably related subjects. A paper mat would be cheaper than say, fabric or vinyl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual of Orange Nebula
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't this something where you could just have the specs at some print-on-demand website and customers order it if they want it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
nobeerblues wrote:
Things to consider:

The mousepad material mats are excellent. I would recommend those. I'd also look into synthetic cloth. I've made a few play mats online that have been absolutely excellent. Easy to store, easy to transport. I would also definitely look into those.

Though the costs for a paper mat would obviously be much lower (and it may be easy enough to make) I would never buy one. Not nearly durable enough for my friends, let alone my kids! Edit: plus the pieces would slide around on glossy paper in a way they won't on mousepad material or cloth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Schepers
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
nobeerblues wrote:
Things to consider:

The mousepad material mats are excellent. I would recommend those. I'd also look into synthetic cloth. I've made a few play mats online that have been absolutely excellent. Easy to store, easy to transport. I would also definitely look into those.

Though the costs for a paper mat would obviously be much lower (and it may be easy enough to make) I would never buy one. Not nearly durable enough for my friends, let alone my kids! Edit: plus the pieces would slide around on glossy paper in a way they won't on mousepad material or cloth

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup To all your points!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People pay like $40 for FFGs neoprene mats for X-Wing, so I'd say that's probably as high as you'd want to go. But yeah, they're amazing for X-Wing, and they'd be amazing for Tail Feathers.

Also, you could possibly talk to the guy who does Grip Mats and see if they could do a suitable mat for you guys that you don't have to sell, but would just link to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
Things to consider:

If people fall in love with this game like they did with M&M, then I don't see a problem with demand. It will be a bit of a luxury item (doubtful that it would be less than 40 bucks), but I think it would sell well.

Not necessary, of course, but it looks like it adds a lot of theme and nice sense of an outside space.
If they don't produce it, I'll probably create my own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably safest to wait until after the game is released to start planning accessories like this. The game looks really cool and I'll probably buy it, but that's no guarantee of commercial success large enough to create demand for playmats.

Plus, there's competition out there in various forms. Tons of wargame playmats could be used for this game. Or a piece of green felt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K AM
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
Things to consider:

Ok, if this is me, BEFORE thinking about other practical issues (Practical,BAH! This is gaming), I'd want one for each of the 4 seasons, ideally double-sided, so I had only two pieces.

THAT being said, now practicality slaps me in the face, so I'd say that one would be sufficient. Double sided would be EPIC.

I really like the thin-neoprene material (as opposed to a thicker "mouse-pad" type). It holds its form nicely, but still rolls up well.

Price point. Well, I think that other products for this are around $40, but if it could be done for closer to $30 that would be a bonus.

Demand...well, I demand (to myself) that I get one, if they are produced.

KAM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
KAM1138 wrote:

I really like the thin-neoprene material (as opposed to a thicker "mouse-pad" type). It holds its form nicely, but still rolls up well.

I think this is what's meant by "mouse pad material". I've not even seen a thick mouse pad in years... For example, the Fat Mat from Frontline games is neoprene and only about 1/8 of an inch thick, or a bit thinner. It's absolutely fantastic. The Deadzone neoprene battle mat is also about the same thickness.

I've not seen the FFG mats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K AM
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:

I think this is what's meant by "mouse pad material". I've not even seen a thick mouse pad in years... For example, the Fat Mat from Frontline games is neoprene and only about 1/8 of an inch thick, or a bit thinner. It's absolutely fantastic. The Deadzone neoprene battle mat is also about the same thickness.

I've not seen the FFG mats.

The FFG X-wing Mat is pretty thin, and has a very nice finish on the image side. It lays down nice without curling, which is important for something you store rolled up.

KAM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did some quick pricing for a replacement Battle Masters vinyl mat.
Say for example you wanted a 5 x 4 ft mat like Battle Basters. That came to 38$ + 10$ shipping for the store I looked at. Only 27$ for a 4 x 3 mat.

How big a mat are we talking here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
36 inches is what we want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauline Driessen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Size sounds perfect Jerry!

I'm already in love with the proto type mat you posted on facebook! It makes playing SO MUCH NICER! I've pimped my Mice & Mystics to the max also(I'm sure Brian will show you the new pics Jerry), so yes: very willing to pay for this and really hoping it is going to work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
36 inches is what we want.

At the place I priced at that would come to about 13$ + 10$ shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Vadalà
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mb
During Spiele in Essen, a guy of PHG's stand told me that they will put in free download the graphics of game mat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arumasothos wrote:
During Spiele in Essen, a guy of PHG's stand told me that they will put in free download the graphics of game mat...

Sounds like they aren't producing it for sale then - maybe they couldn't get them made for a decent price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VonMeister wrote:
arumasothos wrote:

Sounds like they aren't producing it for sale then - maybe they couldn't get them made for a decent price.
There have been no decisions made. We brought the prototype to get a feel for the demand. I would like to see multiple formats to fit different budgets. A "free" download is not likely as we at the very least need to pay for the art. I really want a delux neoprene option!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
VonMeister wrote:
arumasothos wrote:

There have been no decisions made. We brought the prototype to get a feel for the demand. I would like to see multiple formats to fit different budgets. A "free" download is not likely as we at the very least need to pay for the art. I really want a delux neoprene option!

Agreed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Urbanek
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
The Dice & Mystics Board Game Guild say: Have fun!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I would have bought it during the Essen Spiel Fair without hesitation! And it will be a must have for me in the future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes B.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
Honey?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mellekai wrote:
Well, I would have bought it during the Essen Spiel Fair without hesitation! And it will be a must have for me in the future!
This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
The mat was amazing, but there was one good point that I've heard from one of the PHG folks who were demoing it: during the heat of the game, the battleground becomes crowdy and bit busy and the mat makes it harder to see certain things. So, if going retail, the mat colour palette/details could use some revamp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.