Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Epic Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some clarifications on cards and situations needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vadim Deylgat
Belgium
Melle
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, really loving this game, but I ran into a couple of questions during the first few games.

1) Situation: I have 3 health left and a Burrowing Wurm prepared for attack. My opponent has 8 health left and nearly nothing to block except Soul Hunter with the ability "when this card is broken deal 5 damage to target player". So he can't prevent enough of my damage to survive, but if he blocks with Soul Hunter, I'll break that card and get hit with 5 damage too. This would result in a tie with both our health depleted at the same time, or does one of the two damages happen first?

2) card Time Walker. Ability is "loyalty 2 > return all other champions to their owners hands". Does this affect token champions? Other cards tend to wipe the field clear (breaking or banishing all the cards) or specifically avoiding token cards (like inheritance of the meek), but Time Walker does not state clearly if token champions are affected or ignored by this effect. When this came up, we both had 2 wolf tokens in play and we agreed to return all of them to the token piles. It wouldn't have been so easy to agree if we didn't have the same amount of tokens in play

3) Card Erase. Ability: "return target champion to its owners hands". What happens if my opponent earlier had used Turn ("if it's your turn gain control of target champion") to take over one of my champions. Does using erase on the turned card make it go back in my hand (as the original owner) or to my opponent since he now has control over my card?

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Negron
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think you both would die and game would be a draw.

Yes time walker affects token champion but I would think those go back to the piles and not in your end, this wiping them from the board.



The turned champ would go back to your hand since u still own the card. Turn only makes u lose control, not ownership
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Midav8 wrote:
Hi guys, really loving this game, but I ran into a couple of questions during the first few games.

1) Situation: I have 3 health left and a Burrowing Wurm prepared for attack. My opponent has 8 health left and nearly nothing to block except Soul Hunter with the ability "when this card is broken deal 5 damage to target player". So he can't prevent enough of my damage to survive, but if he blocks with Soul Hunter, I'll break that card and get hit with 5 damage too. This would result in a tie with both our health depleted at the same time, or does one of the two damages happen first?


Combat damage happens first (and this is when your opponent loses). The triggered effect on Soul Hunter happens whenever a player would next be able to play cards (so after combat is all done and after the game is over).

Quote:
2) card Time Walker. Ability is "loyalty 2 > return all other champions to their owners hands". Does this affect token champions? Other cards tend to wipe the field clear (breaking or banishing all the cards) or specifically avoiding token cards (like inheritance of the meek), but Time Walker does not state clearly if token champions are affected or ignored by this effect. When this came up, we both had 2 wolf tokens in play and we agreed to return all of them to the token piles. It wouldn't have been so easy to agree if we didn't have the same amount of tokens in play


Yes, it would return token champions (they are still champions). Once they leave the battlefield they no longer exist and the cards used to represent them go back to the token pile.

Quote:
3) Card Erase. Ability: "return target champion to its owners hands". What happens if my opponent earlier had used Turn ("if it's your turn gain control of target champion") to take over one of my champions. Does using erase on the turned card make it go back in my hand (as the original owner) or to my opponent since he now has control over my card?

Thanks!


You are still the owner (your opponent controls the champion but does not own the card). White Wizards has said that they will never have you put a card that you do not own in your deck, hand, or discard pile, just your in-play area.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Negron
United States
New Hyde Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat damage does happen first but the phase doesn't end when a player dies so wouldn't tge triggered ability damage happen anyway until end of turn?

At least that's how it works in mtg
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikołaj Węgrzyn
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still awaiting my copy and I do not know the rules yet but basing on the rulebook and my experience on other games like this I will answer and expect an Epic player to either confirm or deny my interpretation.

1) Rulebook says that you apply damage first and then resolve abilities triggered in damage step. So I'd say you won.

2) Tokens go away too, Magic style.

3) Your opponent took control, not ownership.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
Ireland
Kilkenny
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Misiodziej wrote:
I'm still awaiting my copy and I do not know the rules yet but basing on the rulebook and my experience on other games like this I will answer and expect an Epic player to either confirm or deny my interpretation.

1) Rulebook says that you apply damage first and then resolve abilities triggered in damage step. So I'd say you won.


Agreed

rulebook wrote:
Attacking champions deal damage to blocking
champions (or to the defending player if the attack
wasn’t blocked). Blocking champions deal damage
to attacking champions. The player who controls a
champion decides where it deals its damage. They
may split damage up however they like.

Then, deal with any triggered abilities that were
produced during the damage step
.


You can see the full rulebook here:
http://downloads.starrealms.com/Epic-Card-Game-Rule-Book-v2....

No FAQs are available at the moment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Deylgat
Belgium
Melle
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! Most of it makes sense, but I'd rather be sure
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools

1. The Burrowing Wurm damage would kill your opponent first. Soul Hunter would set up a trigger, but before it could resolve, your opponent would have lost the game. (Player death happens immediately).

2. Tokens attempt to change zones but they get diverted to the token pile. Sounds like you got this one.

3. If a card would go to a zone other than in-play, it goes to the owner's zone (ie, whomever started with it in their deck).

Ian Taylor
Rules Manager
White Wizard Games
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.