GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,607 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

Coup» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Sentimental Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
We all have a few games that are tied to youth, when we didn’t know what good gaming was and got a kick out of simple games, many of them rated below 6 on boardgamegeek. Coup is mine. It literally introduced me to hex wargaming and I got hooked. I played this thing fifty times in the past and it prepped me for all the other war games I play now. So any attempt by me to give a fair review is impossible, even though I rarely play this one now.

Game Play (24 out of 30): You’re basic counter shoving and computing odds. You win by gaining a clear advantage in victory sites scattered in a fictitious city. The government forces start off strong but must overcome the rebels quickly, before mobs of angry citizens overwhelm you. by controlling the radio station you get more mobs. Thus the opening government move is always an attempt on the radio station, with one to three secondary targets also being attacked. This is the dull part. Afterwards the game gets more interesting as the government must either recoup from early setbacks or choose the next target.

Components (7 out of 10): The map is nothing special, nor are the counters, although the large size of the hexes and pieces is an odd blessing (counters do not get stuck to each other as they move across the board). The best part is Ben Sargent’s hilarious art, featuring numerous fat cops and rebels doing battle, almost like an off the wall parody of East European revolts. The Maximum Leader looks like a Jackie Gleason version of Stalin.

Originality (5 out of 10): Nothing you haven’t seen in better games of this type. This might by the ultimate downfall of the game to many folks, along with unwarranted comparisons to Junta.

Overall (36 out of 50): Objectively Coup is not a great game. It was apparently overpriced back in 1990, although now a copy runs for cheap on eBay. Still I cannot dislike the game. The simplicity, art and most importantly how it affected me as a gamer compel me to give it a positive review and of course play every so often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.