Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this one for the first time was wondering what combinations of map boards and in what orientation people find the most interesting?

We played a 3 player game with 6 map boards (1-4 and 9-10). We each started on one map. The 6 boards were set up in a long rectangle with one player on each end and the other starting on one of the middle boards diagonal from the other two players (so no 2 players shared the edge of a map). We placed the walled city on map 10 in the middle such that we each bordered one side of that map. We decided that only the cities on our starting boards and map 10 would give points for rebuilding so the cities on 2 of the 6 boards were worth nothing. Right in the middle of map 10 is the walled city worth 3 points. It is only accessable from 3 bridges, perfect for a 3 player game. The game was fairly close between two of the players so the layout worked fairly well. I think that I might try tweaking the board orientation to make the sea areas a little more accessable.

Really fun game and I will certainly be trying this one again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Best Map Combinations
alkaiser (#19221),
I was pondering 3-player options myself, and I was going to try something similar to what you suggested. You're right, the walled city is an ideal center map.
Then I was pondering some sort of triangular orientation, since they ARE hexes. Well, Richard Miner beat me to it. I haven't tried it yet, but he has a neat-looking scenario for three on the Columbia Games site featuring a custom triangular map.
http://www.columbiagames.com/resources/8500/throgniaforthree...
Now that Columbia has released the mapkit on their site as well, I might try and make a couple other triangular center maps, and maybe even some long isosceles triangles or somesuch to fill in the gaps between the players so each player has two fronts instead of one mostly shared area of central conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.