Popular Tags: [View All]
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!
I'm completely new to wargaming, but have been seduced by the interesting themes that GMT has to offer. I decided a couple of days ago that I'd buy a few of these games, and narrowed my list down to a couple of items, I've now taken the plunge and ordered:

Here I Stand- (I enjoy Twilight Imperium/Warrior Knights/Dune- will this be similar?)
Twilight Struggle-
Pax Romana-
C&C Europe-

I was also desperately looking for Napoleonic Wars, but could only find it at one obscure UK retailer, who was selling it for a staggering 95 pounds!!! (approx 190 dollars). Will these games be a good starting point? I tried to do my research on BGG, and all these games ranked highly, and seemed to have good reviews. How hard will these be to play? I do play games like Twilight Imperium, but Here I Stand looked like it had an ever more horrific and complicated set of rules!! A couple of other questions I had- how worthwile is the P500 scheme? Would it be worthwhile for someone in the UK? Blackbeard looked incredibly appealling but will it be worth my while to import? Has anyone else tried it in the UK? Also anyone know of Napoleonic Wars being sold cheaper? It was on the tp of my list but I really can't find it anywhere (there seem to be no good Napoleonic themed games...)
Thanks in advance for your help,
Arcturus, Ewan Anderson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
STOCKPORT
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
Here I Stand- (I enjoy Twilight Imperium/Warrior Knights/Dune- will this be similar?)
Twilight Struggle-
Pax Romana-
C&C Europe-

Apart from Twilight Strugle none of these (IMO) are beginners games.

Here I Stand - Excellent game and rule book but it is a complex game and not for the faint hearted. Also you need a min of three players
Twilight Struggle - Brillant two player game, but stretching a point as to whether you consider it a wargame
Pax Romana - Got it but it has a large rulebook which I have given up on. The chances of me finding three other players who could be bothered with this are slim.
C&C. Not got it but I suspect it's on the high side of complex.

Will you find opponants or will you be restricted to solitaire?

Where abouts in the Country are you? If you are within travelling distance of Stockport my club holds it's gaming auction in March where there will be lots of wargame bargains to be found.

Regards

David Brown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to wargaming!
All of those games are an excellent starting point, but definitely prepare for rules shock! C&C will be fine, but the others will have a steep learning curve if TI:3 is your normal level of complication.
But that's fine; just be prepared to take a while to learn some of these games.

I can't say much about Napoleanic Wars, though the high price tag seems accurate with what I have seen.

Blackbeard is one of the most fun games ever in the wargaming world. If you love TI:3, then I think you will agree. Definitely eBay it or get the new version from GMT. I would try the new one, since it promises a rules update from Richard Berg (and - fun or no - the rules to the old version have one or two points that need to be tweaked).

Looks like you are off to an excellent start! When the games arrive, don't let the rules intimidate you and don't hesitate to come back here looking for clarification. Oh yes, and don't forget to have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
thirts wrote:
Quote:

C&C Europe-

C&C. Not got it but I suspect it's on the high side of complex.

Not at all; one of the easier wargames, in my experience. The card-driven mechanic simplifies a lot. It'll take a game or two to get comfortable with the rules, but this is no Squad Leader as far as complexity goes, and the rules are wonderfully complete and comprehensive. Indeed, that makes the game seem more complicated than it is; reading the rules, I was daunted. Playing my first game, it was amazing the way it all fit together and hid in the background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcturus2006 wrote:
I was also desperately looking for Napoleonic Wars, but could only find it at one obscure UK retailer, who was selling it for a staggering 95 pounds!!!

Napoleonic Wars is out of print (hence the high price) but is on the P500 list for reprint. If you can wait, the best approach is to buy the new edition when it's available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Zadiraka
United States
Holland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you can play wargames by email, and even with you and your opponent online at the same time. I use Vassal for PBEM (play by email). Only Twilight Struggle and Pax Romana have Vassal modules for them currently.

I'm currently playing in two games of Pax right now. Once you get familar with the rules a bit you could get into a PBEM, which is a good way to learn further. For Pax, new games start up periodically and the people are friendly about helping people get into Vassal like this.

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moll
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ewan,

Twighlight Struggle and C&C Europe are your best bets for an easy entry. Some other games I would recommend are from Columbia Games:

Hammer of the Scots (fantastic game)
Crusader Rex
Liberty

These all have 8 page rule books, easy to learn, and only require 2 players.

The Napoleonic Wars is one of my favorite games of all time and is my favorite multi-player game. You should put in a pre-order and just get it when it comes out later.

I do a podcast with a friend about these topics...one of which was gateway games (basically good games to get people into wargaming). I think it was episode 3, so feel free to check it out.

http://point2pointsource.com/

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice,
I do have a group of friends (4-5) who are very patient and willing to try out new board games. At the moment we play games such as Twilight Imperium, and other FFG Games. I think they would be up for a go with one or two of these GMT games. I don't think the rules that I've read seem overly complicated- but in fitting with the historical feel, the games designers do seem to add in a lot of exceptions to the rules which need re-reading. Just after having a cursorary glance at the here I stand rules, I noticed that you don't simply plonk the card deck down and get playing- there are lots of cards which have to be removed/added at various times, and can only be played with certain variables/conditons exisiting in play. I guess HIS is a definitve multiplayer game- but can Pax Romana be played succesfully with two?
All in all I'm ready for the challenge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT makes great games, but there are other companies out there, too!

If your interested in napoleonics, you should pick up the relevant issues of Vae Victis. It's published in France and is probably much cheaper in the UK than it is here in the US. http://www.vaevictis.com

The mechanic they use is licensed from Richard Berg. Some people prefer the VV version to the GMT version. English rules are available at http://www.grognard.com

Both versions are simple, straightforward, and fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
For Napoleonics, you really must try Bonaparte at Marengo! It's a very "unconventional" wargame, meaning it is lacking some of the usual mechanics of typical wargames. But it really plays well and gives the feel of being a general in that time period.

I agree with Markus: Combat Commander is actually remarkably simple once you get the hang of it. In fact, my brother really got into it though he really didn't care for something more complex like Lock n Load.

I've got Pax Romana and while I haven't played it much, I've played it with my 7 year old and she grasped it, at least mostly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thirts wrote:

Here I Stand - Excellent game and rule book but it is a complex game and not for the faint hearted. Also you need a min of three players
Pax Romana - Got it but it has a large rulebook which I have given up on. The chances of me finding three other players who could be bothered with this are slim.

Both sort-of true, except for excellent and highly-supportive on-line community.

I bought HIS, and was quickly slotted into a 'newbies' Cyberboard game, with a moderator to step us through the difficult bits, answer any questions, etc. I'm in the middle of my second PBEM game now, and I've played one face-to-face.

Similarly for Pax, I'm on my third or fourth PBEM game, with plenty of helpful and friendly opponents.

Both rulesbooks do look quite intimidating at first glance, but they are clear and very well-written. You can follow the steps through in order, or easily find the right section when you need to. Pax has a few more fiddly special-cases than HIS, and HIS has the advantage that as long as you're not teaching the game, you can skip the sections of the rules that your power doesn't need until you're ready for them. (e.g. France does not need to use the religious debate / reformation / counter-reformation rules, the Protestants don't need to know much about piracy, etc.)

The support (official and otherwise) here on the Geek is sketchy, but if you head over to ConSimWorld, there's a very strong presence from both the designers and other players.

I'd agree, if you're only looking for face-to-face play, both of these are games you'd need some quite committed players for - they're long, and you can't teach them in five minutes. If on-line play interests you, I'd strongly recommend either.

As an indication, prior to purchasing these, I'd played a little Ambush!, and read the rules to GBoH: Alexander, but I'm a *long* way from a hard-core wargamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
For Napoleonics, you really must try Bonaparte at Marengo! It's a very "unconventional" wargame, meaning it is lacking some of the usual mechanics of typical wargames. But it really plays well and gives the feel of being a general in that time period.

I'll second Mark's recommendation for BaM. Great, great unconventional block wargame. Beautiful to look at and extremely thoughtful to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.