The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: Solo vs Co-op, game vs FF books? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Are people planning to play the game solo or with a group of friends? I suppose with the game saving system you could have multiple games in progress?

Also, I haven't pledged yet, still trying to make up my mind. Since I heard about the game a few weeks ago, I've played a few of my old Fighting Fantasy game books, & have been having a blast. Apart from that this game is based upon cards to drive the story, I'm struggling to justify spending more money backing this game (after a recent spending spree on Kick Starter), if I can still get lots of enjoyment from my old FF books.

What can people suggest, recommend please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal
Switzerland
Lausanne
flag msg tools
badge
Lightning Plasma !
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to play this with my wife. or solo. but not with a group of friends (i prefer other games for that)

As far as i know there is no "multiple" save system. I think the issue is that there is a lot of actions that change "permanently" the continent (for example you have to banish a card).

I backed the game because I have the feeling that it is providing a different/new experience than other games. I'm pretty sure it is not for everyone but it definitely trigger my interest.

I'm not a FF books fan (i havent read any), but i heard that if you are one this is a "must back" project
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they provide this option to play multiple sessions. Not technically. Since the save system require the components to be saved in the insert, so you cannot start another session while having a saved session.

Maybe you can, of course, by listing all the cards manually by log all the cards and situation on the game in a sheet of paper and then start another session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Aigner
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Multible saved games were discussed there: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1429958/multi-saved-games

I'm going to play solo and with my wife too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the swift response Pascal.

Of course re the multiple saves, I'd not thought of the banished card situation. I suppose you could make a note of permanent discards for each game and reset to the beginning for each different game? This may only work if you have a low number of games on the go as it could become rather cumbersome to track multiple games.

Re the FF books, I'm sure I would enjoy playing the game, but I'm trying to justify its purchase when there's 40 or 50 books in my cupboard that I could play now, with more variety & re-playability than there is with The 7th Continent. Some are better than others having said that, but it's some 20 to 30 years since I've played some of them, so they should still feel fresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Crago
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I would probably play this solo and have a fun time I plan to play it with my fiancee as a two player experience cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wish I could play with my wife Duane (so to speak), or encourage my son to play games more regularly. Unfortunately I can't & I can't get together with a regular gaming group, so most of my gaming is solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it looks like the perfect game to play solo/or whith your wife/husband.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Tymoshyshyn
England
Liskeard
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's easy enough to play solo and have 1 or 2 people drop in and out of the game as necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Thomas, just read the link you've provided.

Yes, looks like multie saves are a possibility Kris, each card will have its own unique reference number, but it will be a manual lot of your design to save the games.

Have to say that what's making me want to back more than anything is the feeling of missing out. Is this wrong, am I victim of the publicity machine, if I can't decide, should I wait for retail but miss out on some of those exclusives?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Laardge11 wrote:
Thanks Thomas, just read the link you've provided.

Yes, looks like multie saves are a possibility Kris, each card will have its own unique reference number, but it will be a manual lot of your design to save the games.

Have to say that what's making me want to back more than anything is the feeling of missing out. Is this wrong, am I victim of the publicity machine, if I can't decide, should I wait for retail but miss out on some of those exclusives?

I've been there.
I missed Blood Rage KS and regretted it so much (because of KS exclusives, hard to say love or hate about it).
And luckily there's a late pledges from CMON (even though for me the price has increased compared during the KS period.

So I just afraid the same thing happened.
Of course it's not a small money (approximately I will have to spend $150++ for this one to be in my doorstep). But I guess I can always decide to sell it when I have to. So it's better getting it than not getting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lodge
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Like your style Kris. I also had the idea of backing anyway, and then if I wasn't a big fan when it was finally delivered, I could sell it. If that was before retail, then the Kick Starter exclusives should still sweeten the pot for any potential buyers then, even if the game is used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I intend to play this solo, with my cat taking on a Hidden Traitor mechanic as he steals my tiny fire minis and knocks my shoulder bag to the ground over and over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.