Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: 'Random Survivor' -> 'No Target' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I'm confused how 'Random Survivor' targeting works, in that cards with it have a 'No Target' option. How is it possible for 'Random Survivor' to not find anyone, unless there are no survivors left? It's not 'Facing', so it doesn't matter where on the board, it's not 'Field of View', so blind spot doesn't matter, and it's not 'Threat', so knocked down survivors are still targetable. What situation would it go to 'No Target'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike H
msg tools
I'm still waiting to play mine so I've not really looked at the different attacks aside from checking they were all there but it seems to me if the only target condition is 'Random Survivor' then you'd never pick the 'No Target' option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
mbmbmbmbmb
Which card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Reid
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it is there as a 'just in case' type thing. Its not too far fetched that there could eventually be gear that causes the only remaining survivor to blink out of existance for a turn, or armor that makes a monster ignore the first line of their target selection. Better to include a safety net then to just go "Eh, we'll PROBABLY never make anything where this could be an issue."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Gilbank
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myrmeleo wrote:
I'm confused how 'Random Survivor' targeting works, in that cards with it have a 'No Target' option. How is it possible for 'Random Survivor' to not find anyone, unless there are no survivors left? It's not 'Facing', so it doesn't matter where on the board, it's not 'Field of View', so blind spot doesn't matter, and it's not 'Threat', so knocked down survivors are still targetable. What situation would it go to 'No Target'?

It could be possible if everyone was currently knocked down, I seem to remember here that being prone makes you an invalid target for the monsters hence the Lion's sniff is the no target option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or possibly everyone is hiding in tall grass terrain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Reid
msg tools
mbmbmb
No, you can still be targeted while prone, you just arent considered a threat.

I believe the same is true for tall grass, but i cant check at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There may be a survivor card out there that says "You can't be targeted for any reason". If they were the only person left and an AI card said 'random survivor', then it would have to pick the No Target option.

Not saying that that card exists, but it has the potential to exist. It doesn't hurt to be careful about AI cards and just list everything on there.

halfwing wrote:
No, you can still be targeted while prone, you just arent considered a threat.

I believe the same is true for tall grass, but i cant check at the moment.

That is correct. Tall Grass activation just makes you no longer a threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fuki Fino
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure who's card says that, but you could be consumed by the Antelope, couldn't you? That removes you from the board, but you're not dead yet. So it's probably just future proofing for events like that (I think some legendary monsters allow you to mix AI decks, and it may be in anticipation of homebrew monsters with mixed AI decks too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The specific card I'm asking about is
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Hand's King's Palm

A related thing I just noticed is 'Closest Survivor', on cards like
The Watcher's Purify

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
There may be situations / gear / etc that render a survivor ineligible to be a target, above and beyond the "threat" status.

Does Fecal Salve do that? Also I'm thinking the secret fighting art "Zero Presence" might do that too. I'll check my cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tehero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It is a random survivor regardless of threat, field of view, or facing. You choose someone at RANDOM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Magnan
United States
St Paul Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myrmeleo wrote:

Some people here were onto the answer.

See P219, glossary entry "Remove from the Showdown Board (Survivor)"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
There are situations where the fight is going on, but there are no survivors on the board.

If there's just survivor left in an Antelope fight, for example, and she is Gobbled Up.

In those cases, targeting would pass over Random Survivor and go to No Target.

More of these cases might pop up with expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Copiene
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
ddmagnan wrote:
Myrmeleo wrote:

Some people here were onto the answer.

See P219, glossary entry "Remove from the Showdown Board (Survivor)"

If you look at the Plumery gear you'll see another reason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.