Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grzegorz Jamer
Poland
Wroclaw
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The continent is growing. It gets bigger and bigger every passed stretch goal. But let me ask a question. Is it good to us as a players of this game?

Don't get me wrong - I do like the concept of having more "paragraphs" to read, more area to explore. But we started with 400+ exploration cards. Now we have like 60+ more. Let's say that to banish a curse we have to visit three specific locations. As continent is growing the distance we have to travel to get there is also getting greater. Is other game components going to compensate for this? Like more places to gather food, to take a nap, etc.?

What do you think about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Instead of enlarging the continent, I prefer the new cards provide alternate version of the existed locations.

For the example, there is two version of Card 001. With the stretch goals, there should be six version of Card 001, each with different encounters/resources/things to do. This will address concerns about replay value and your concern about "bloated continent".

But I am interested in hearing from the devs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Aigner
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet it's a mix of both, extending as long as it makes sense and opens more path to get rid of the curses and adding versions for more variablity for replayability and some unlucky moments after a save ;-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring it on, I say!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Juan Llanos
Spain
Alcala de Henares
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jamers wrote:
Is it good to us as a players of this game?

yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think many of the new cards (based on stretch goals) are bound on random event cards. In this way you probably dont see some of the new content in one walktrough. Thats the way i understand this additional cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bigger is better for a game as long as it doesn't collapse under it's weight of mechanics a la Arkham Horror. "More of the same" type of growth is exactly what I love in expansions and this looks like the road 7C is going down. Multiples of the same type of card so you don't know what you're getting is exactly what I love about Eldritch Horror over Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am concerned by the ability of the designer to deliver so much cards. This was the problem with conan and I would have prefered they deliver just the base game fast than promising a ton of stuff they probably not even started to write. 1000 plus cards is a lot to design if you do it seriously, which we expect them to do...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moshimon wrote:
I am concerned by the ability of the designer to deliver so much cards. This was the problem with conan and I would have prefered they deliver just the base game fast than promising a ton of stuff they probably not even started to write. 1000 plus cards is a lot to design if you do it seriously, which we expect them to do...

AFAIK they already have those 1000+ cards designed and tested for the most part, and they stripped some of them out to meet a price point. The stretch goals are simply adding some of those cards to the game piecemeal as funding goes up and and they can afford to absorb a higher per-unit material cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb Boh
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Variety > size.

For what I have understood, the continent is already quite massive and I would be more worried about the potential replayability issues than extra focus on the exploratory side of things.

Start over? Ok, instead of mounting climbing, have a possibility to go to a cave or beach even if to end up with similar/same end result or end up to a new detour for example. Got wood? Nah, only rocks this time. Seaweed on eastern parts of island? No mate, not this time, birds ate 'em.

Anything that breaks the illusion of knowing the map beforehand tremendously increases the replay value. It is not the shape of the map, it's the details on it that make the journey unpredictable. Random events are definitely one way to avoid too much familiarity during journey, but to actually have small variation for most of the terrain tiles would further increase the thrill of re-exploration of the 7th continent.

A wild idea for HC-gamers out there. Just to completely transform a smooth gameplay into fiddly chaos (and totally ripped off from Dominant species):
Make the terrain resources as tokens you pull out of bag each time you enter a new map tile. Sheesh, make them even consumable and force player to go through action deck to search new resources from the tile.

*last part is, of course, not intended to be taken seriously...or is it*

Best regards,
Jebboh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By my calculations the map size now approaches 5 sq. meters. Potentially the largest exploration game ever. We can happily wander the 7th continent almost forever. More is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.