Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've been following the Mature Content on BoardgameGeek list (link below), you're aware that apparently there is a new feature on BGG which allows anyone to tag an image "mature" and that image will no longer be visible to anyone viewing the image galleries. While this would seem to be a feature designed to help the community "self-police", the listing of images tagged "mature" and the commentary on the geeklist demonstrates how wide a range of opinions there are on what constitutes "mature" content. While I'm not really interested in getting into that discussion, it is unfortunate that the entire community's view of content is being controlled by a few people dropping tags onto images based on their own personal opinions on the subject.

I think in general it's a good idea to use tags for filtering content. But it would seem that this feature is half-implemented. Shouldn't users be able to enable or disable filtering in their profile rather than having filtering applied by default? Is this in the works?

Link to list:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/18755

Link to all content tagged "mature":
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/tag/mature

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli Smith
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems a system like this is broken without a counterweight.

Is it just "X number of tags" = mature

or

"a % number of tags of all people who selected tags"

I mean, we need to understand the workings here before we can make certain judgements, but the system obviously needs some oversight, no less than 50% of the images curerently marked "mature" are undeservedly marked so.. unless we're trying to make it through the Saudi-arabian national firewall...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
This is the categorization feature for image galleries. if you are not seeing anything, then there's a bug afoot.

As participation goes up, I will be increasing quantity of tags needed for it to be placed into that category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So is there currently filtering on the image galleries using the tags?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, definitely a problem when just because there is a little clevage it's considered "mature"...

And I guess maybe the following is mature because of the nickname for kitty cat is "p*** cat"?

And why would anyone tag (2 folks have) the following one mature? Just looks like a case of a kid with a bad hair day?

Wouldn't it be better to use the GeekMod system instead??? Ie. provide the ability to nominate an image as being mature and then it shows up in the GeekMod system to be voted on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, after seeing some of the images people tagged mature, we either have some people who haven't a clue what the context here is, or are seriously disturbed individuals.

A cat in a box lid? For old, cat ladies only?

A picture of a Ramses board? Is someone associating this with condoms?

Aieeeee!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
Wow, after seeing some of the images people tagged mature, we either have some people who haven't a clue what the context here is, or are seriously disturbed individuals.

A cat in a box lid? For old, cat ladies only?

A picture of a Ramses board? Is someone associating this with condoms?

Aieeeee!

I´m totally your opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
robartin wrote:
So is there currently filtering on the image galleries using the tags?

There are category filters in every image gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
And I guess maybe the following is mature because of the nickname for kitty cat is "p*** cat"?

Heh. I did that one. I was hoping that all the pics tagged "mature" would only be viewable if you clicked the "mature" link in the picture gallery for each game. If so, I was gonna tag all the "cat" pictures as being mature, so I don't have to look at them anymore. After a trial tagging I found out that that wasn't the case. Selfish? Maybe. Petty? Almost certainly.

But I can't stand cat pics.

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.