Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering getting Elementalis, and I really appreciate being able to read the rules and check out the components in advance! Thanks!

Anyway, I had a few questions about the game; any answers would be helpful in cementing my decision:

1) First, it's not clear if there is a Sun symbol only on the Sun die, or on all 5 dice? If on all 5 dice, it seems like Sun rolls would be very common, instead of an occasional result. Or if the Sun is only on the 1 Sun die, then what's on the 6th face of the 4 Element dice - Is that the "double mana" faces that I see in the pictures?

2) I notice the Harmonist player card doesn't explicitly list Earth/Air and Air/Earth on it - Is that just an oversight?

3) The rules say a Purist player can use Ether as wilds (like Elementalists), but the Purist player card doesn't. Which is correct? I assume Purists don't get to count their mana twice (once for their major and once for their minor), right?

4) On the Cosmic Roll, I take it the first result "...if the roll comes up as a player's Major element..." should really say "...if the roll comes up as the active player's Major element...", right?

5) Tornado spell - This effect is permanent, right? Can it be spread across multiple players like Incinerate?

6) Counterspell spell - Is appears this can not be used to cancel a spell that affects someone else, is that true? Can you cast a Counterspell on an Incinerate (or Tornado) that affects you and other players? What would happen in that case?

7) Just a point of interest about probabilities: I wrote a quick program (because I'm a total nerd) to check the expected values of rolls for the 3 types of wizards. I excluded the effects of Cosmic and Final rolls as well as Elemental Opposition, since those appear to affect all players exactly the same way. If players always take the Chance Roll, Harmonists can expect to net about 3.8 mana per turn, Elementalists about 2.0 per turn, and Purists only about 1.6 per turn. (If players NEVER take the Chance Roll, expected values are reduced to 2.3, 1.7, and 1.3 respectively.) Granted this is a simplified view, but it makes me think Purists are at a distinct disadvantage (with fewer spell options too!) and Harmonists should be much more likely than the other two to risk Chance Rolls. Even with the 1 mana penalty on spell costs, I think I'd always want to be a Harmonist. Did I miss something? (If any of my assumptions above are wrong, that could affect my calculations....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Kalajian Jr
United States
Simsbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright. Let me chip away at these one at time.

1) There's a sun symbol on the yellow sun die. The other 4 dice each have a dual element on the 6th side, opposite the ether symbol.

2) and 3) Those are errors on the reference cards and are currently being fixed on a new, combined card. The rules come first over the cards. Ether is used the same way for purists as it does for elementalists. They do not score twice on rolls.

4) Indeed, I'll update the digital rules to clarify.

5) Yes the effect is permanent, and it isn't meant to be spread across multiple players. It just never worked out that people cast it on more than one other player during testing.

6) Counterspell is only meant to cancel a spell cast on you. In the instance of incinerate, it would cancel the affects on you, but not other players.

7) Purists may be a bit weaker, but always score the same type of mana and are only at risk of losing mana from one other element. Harmonists tend to score more, but their spells cost extra mana to cast. Elementalists get two types of mana, but run the risk of losing more mana because they're weak against two elements. I tend to play as purists because I like their simplicity.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.