United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Malloc and I took a quick lunch to try out Odin's Ravens, which I had sitting on the shelf since Essen in October. It was the five Euro special that I could not turn down, but had not played it yet. With a handy printed rules summary to work our way around the German, we were able to work our way through the rules and get those ravens off to the races.

The terrain in our first race on the way to an eventual five favored my raven a great deal, and the cards came up for me in a big way. Malloc would drop the Odin marker in front of me and I would take it out of the way with the appropriate wild combinations. As it was our first round, we were still working out the Magic Path cards, so I was able to get ahead by three points and get three points from the Magic Path, going ahead six to nothing.

In the second round, Malloc took off to beat me by one and we tied on the Magic Path. Score six to one.

Malloc quickly took off with the Magic Path in the next round, gathering four of the six cards right away, but I was able to stay one point ahead to take us to seven to four.

In the third race, Malloc again captured the Magic Path, but with a few turning and switching of cards, I was able to put four landscape cards between us to land and eleven point to seven.

In the fourth race, I took the race with one card between us to win with 12. Malloc again took the Magic Path to get ten.

A fine two-player race game and the strategies seem to offer a number of different angles to win. With the player with the lower number of points going first, there seems to be a lot to work with. I look forward to trying this game at future lunches.

Both Malloc and I live close to Baltimore, so the with the Ravens football team on their way to the playoffs, I thought I would make a play on that with the title. I should confess that I only follow football casually...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Olsson
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like the way we played it. Malloc had more of the touch on picking up 4 cards early (over two turns) since he went first throughout our game. It looked to us as though the person with the most Magic Way cards at the end of the current race gets three points. Then at the end of the race we shuffled our hands and the Magic Way cards back into the deck for the next race.

If this was incorrect, let me know so we can play the next one correctly.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Hageman
United States
Hugo
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds incorrect

You don't pick up magic way cards. Each race one and only one magic way card is flipped up. For examples sake let's say river/woods for the first race. One of your turn options is to place a card from your hand or reserve deck down to the magic way. At the end of the race who ever played the most river or woods cards (in this example) gets three points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.