Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra counters in PoH upgrade all 1st ed counters to the newest rules. Great. But PoH does not include any of the brand new units in 2nd edition (because PoH came out first). Can I get these new units somehow? Neither the Solo nor Firefight expansions work without them completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What brand new units are you referring to? The Tank Hunter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The NKVD would be a good start. I would buy a counter sheet containing these units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see there are quite a few new units (going by the lists in the rules). I didn't realize the big difference. I wonder if new units will be added to SoS 2nd Ed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Lewis,
The Solo Expansion and the Firefight Expansion call for some extra units from the Monster Tank and Wrecks & Destruction expansion sheets. Any new units that the 2nd Edition AtB game includes can be easily exchanged with other units.
- Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Uwe,

I actually have both editions and the Monster Tanks expansion so its not a problem for me. I was just expressing my surprise (to the previous posts) as I'd never compared the two editions.

If there are going to be differences in the 2nd edition of SoS (from the 1st), I'd like to know so I can decide whether its worth upgrading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There are very few differences between the 1st and 2nd Edition Storms of Steel games, except for the totally redone maps and counters. The artwork for both have been totally upgraded to our newest art. They look incredible. Also, we have updated some of the firefights.
Other than that, pre-order customers will receive the northern flank firefights with their game.
Sincerely,
uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Smallwood
United States
Santa Ana
California
flag msg tools
badge
TWO Equals in an "if" statement!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:
Any new units that the 2nd Edition AtB game includes can be easily exchanged with other units.
- Uwe

"Easily exchanged" seems kinda... dismissive dunnit? Look at the number of missions in Solo and cards in Firefight that mention missing units. If not counters then do you have a suggestion for how to swap units out?

It's just that Firefight says it works with AtB. And it doesn't. So you gotta fix it. (Or put 2nd ed only on the Firefight box.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Graham,
We tell players that have the 1st edition to use a similar unit. The Solo missions do call for some Monster Tank and Wrecks & Destruction Units/Counters that are individually available.
For the NKVD units the SMG will work, and so on. The AI is not affected by which units you decide to use.
As a side note, some of our play testers used the 1st Edition game and had not issues, so I look forward to see how you like it!
Hope this helps.
Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe one of these play testers recalls which units were substituted?

For the Firefight Generator, I think its as simple as finding matching cards between Russian and German sides and then assigning equivalent substitute units where necessary.

But I think Graham's point is that someone at Academy Games should be doing this work, if the impression was given that the generator works out of the box with AtB1. Not sure I agree with that viewpoint because I don't think that impression was ever given by Academy Games; as I vaguely recall, there was always a qualification that a few tweaks might be needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pisqueeter wrote:
Maybe one of these play testers recalls which units were substituted?

For the Firefight Generator, I think its as simple as finding matching cards between Russian and German sides and then assigning equivalent substitute units where necessary.

But I think Graham's point is that someone at Academy Games should be doing this work, if the impression was given that the generator works out of the box with AtB1. Not sure I agree with that viewpoint because I don't think that impression was ever given by Academy Games; as I vaguely recall, there was always a qualification that a few tweaks might be needed.

I think they should try to do their best to satisfy people who bought the first edition though. It sucks enough as it is to be an early adopter of any product. Early adopters always get the edition with the most errata or bugs. That is something you just have to accept when buying a first edition. But it sucks even more to be an early adopter if the 1st edition is not compatible with expansions.

I have the second edition, so I'm not speaking on behalf of myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.