Subject: Custom game board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello survivors!
My question is: would anybody here be interested in a custom game board for Dead of Winter? It happens, that I have made one. But before uploading any files I preffered to ask and write a few words about it.
First of all, and most important: I made this board design with only one purpose in mind - to further enjoy the great game that Dead of Winter is. In no way I've tried to hassle with ownership rights etc. Although I tried to recreate as much elements of the board as possible, some of the elements used are from the original game - illustrations for the locations in particular. Of course they are intellectual property of the publisher and/or authors. I could paint my own, because I'm an artist myself, but this would take too much time and probably I would never finish this project. This is the main reason I am posting a thread before uploading files - if someone from Dead of Winter team sees no problem with it (and it seem that author can be seen here or there), and people will like it, I'll upload files for printing.
That said, few more words why I made this.
I like Dead of Winter a lot, but that small colony board plus location boards didn't feel right. Travelling between locations and the colony was a little too abstract for me, feeling of being in a city and roaming from place to place to find what is needed to survive was missing. I had Arkham Horror board in mind, where you knew that these circles and rectangles are not just fields for your game piece that trigger events, but places and locations in town. I wanted the colony not to be just a separate game area but a heart of this zombie-ridden town, surrounded by and barred from overwhelming danger. Maybe it was a little to much to obtain, but at least I tried I wanted the design to stay true to the original game mood.
Another thing was, that the many board pieces made it just a little fiddly. I would prefer something more stable and solid while still being easy to "read" and comfortable to play on.

Note that the finished board is in polish. I have files both in polish and english. I also can make a "build your own game board for beginners" manual. Please tell me what you think and forgive me if my english is not perfect.
Cheers and try not to eat all the food cans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buchold
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
that game board looks amazing!
i can't imagine that plaid hat would have a problem with it. it's not like your selling it. plus they do let you make and share crossroad cards.
how big is it? is it similar to a regular sized board (like arkham horror)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! It's exactly the same size as Arkham Horror board - six squares 28x28 cm each
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I LIKE it!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Ulloa Velderrain
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AMAIZING board!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That map is awesome. No idea how I'd make the board but I'd be interested in finding out.

My only tweak would be making the map background a slightly darker shade of blue so that some of the white outlines pop a little more.

Terrific work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Could have a printer print it as a poster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connor
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see this as a playmat. Then another when the expansion comes out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kuo
msg tools
Fantastic job - it looks like it really unifies all the components together! Thanks for taking the time to making it and hopefully you get around to uploading it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Leavitt
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WOW!! This is amazing! Want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Mallen
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Lesperance
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WANT! Would LOVE the English version in a print-ready format!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome. I would use it as-is, if I could print it nicely.

But if one wants a single board to cover the whole game, I'd suggest 2 minor modifications:

1) A section on the board for "Removed from Game" pile. Sometimes these cards can come back, so it would be nice to have somewhere other than the box to keep them.

2) A section on the board for Crossroads Cards with lingering effects. This could actually be 2 things:
a) A slightly-expanded "Main objective" area, where you the Crossroads Cards that modify the Objective.
b) An area for the Crossroads Cards with other kinds of "for the rest of the game" or "until end of turn" effects.

Just very minor suggestions. Otherwise, again, I love this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean
msg tools
mbmb
That is some VERY nice work there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lozito
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is crazy good work!

I would absolutely love a hi-res print ready file (e.g., the PSD) so I can print this work of art and get included in my next game of Dead of Winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beautiful! i don't own DoW but if I did i would certainly want to play it with this game board. I feel inspired to make my own custom game board now!
(although I'm not sure for which game lol). Hope the DoW team approves it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton MacDonald
msg tools
Seriously love the custom game board, would love to get my hands on this! Hope that you have a hi-res print friendly version available soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG please let me have the English files! This is a must print and play!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definitely upload the file.

If you are uncomfortable with uploading the file (and you shouldn't be - there are many other game aids on this site that use game images) then think about using Geekmail to take email requests for the files.

Excellent work by the way! I wish I had your talent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Sherman
United States
Neenah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Great work! Very interested in the English version!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Becker

Nashville
Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group is trying to come up with our own Legacy Version of Dead of Winter, and we'd love to be able to play with an English version of your game board as it wold definitely enhance the experience.

Please geekmail me if you're willing to share your design. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Ulloa Velderrain
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof RabidBlackDog
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a pm to a game designer, but still got no response. So I'm thinking about uploading the files - if there will be a problem I will delete them.
One thing left to do is a "do it yourself" manual, but I won't be able to get to work on it before monday - it's a gaming weekend

Cheers guys, thank for a great reception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ksiazekrzysztof wrote:
I wrote a pm to a game designer, but still got no response. So I'm thinking about uploading the files - if there will be a problem I will delete them.
One thing left to do is a "do it yourself" manual, but I won't be able to get to work on it before monday - it's a gaming weekend

Cheers guys, thank for a great reception.

Must of the guys are in Germany or just getting home, so it might be a few days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not saying this because I'm trying to persuade you . But I honestly don't think there will be any issue with what you have done. I've seen lots of custom stuff on here and it's always well received. It truly is a top job dude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.