Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all, Norse again with another spontaneous art project for Armada.

It suddenly struck me while driving to a practice match for Sullust that the beautiful Decipher card designs exist, and they could be married to the Armada style, so why not? This isn't a 100% recreation, but I think it's good enough.

To make up for being stubborn on the Star Trek templates (sorry, still cold feet), I've uploaded the template used here to the geek files. Feel free to mess around with them, though I appreciate credit if anyone asks who made up the mockups. You will need the font Agency FB and Century Gothic in order to use the templates.

Not sure if I want to do a rebel one, or even go as far as make equipment card versions for the upgrades. This is easier to do than the Trek cards though, on the part that I'm not designing new mechanics content in them.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
<3

Omg I played the old decipher ccg so much. I love this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still my second favorite CCG behind Netrunner. SWCCG felt like playing 3D MtG. Several battlefields at once. Never a mana screw. It was a good. Final expansion or two ruined it but just don't play with those.

These images look great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... seems like BGG won't take .ait templates. I'll have to re-upload it as just a pure .ai...

I have done some tweaking though. To add a text box for anyone wanting to make special unique ship cards, there's space there to put the title in (you will have to adjust the card accordingly for I/II versions).

I'm also thinking of other, easy cards. Think this will work?

I'm a little uncertain on how I'll denote color. I'm thinking the box behind "Defensive objective" will change to whatever color is needed. This one isn't in the download, not until I'm done figuring out what I want to do with it.

I'm using a few of these now, in print the rules text is coming out a little small. I've bumped the font up to 7 points, I hope it's legible.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I the way Decipher would would have done that is a color-coded circular icon to the right of the card type box. Scooch the side of box over a bit to accommodate the icon. I keep thinking of the red, green and blue icons on the Borg cards from the ST CCG.

http://www.trekcc.org/1e/index.php?mode=card&cardID=40

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Scipio
Germany
flag msg tools
Very nice and retro look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh B
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow, incredible. One of the very best CCGs of all time--one day someone will have the common sense to reboot it, in a Star Wars theme or otherwise, in a LCG format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The engine is so perfect for Star Wars... Decipher tried to reboot it with Wars, but it just wasn't the same.

It's a pity FFG has their own LCG, because reviving this as an LCG would have been great!

The cards are a mix of decipher functionality (where their stats are meaningless in Armada) and armada reappropreations. Cost for instance is the cost of the upgrade in armada. The upgrade type has been moved to be an feature (rather than a card type, I wanted to preserve the Decipher icons). But for elements like the deploy cost and game text, they have been increased/replaced with their Armada functions.

Trying to mock together a rebellion template to do some of the light side stuff...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know people love the old Decipher game but the graphic design of the cards is terrible IMO. So much wasted space with the huge borders and the lame icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Todd that is the only time I've heard someone say that about the old decipher design...

While it's a neat idea to do the upgrade cards at the old standard playing card size, I wanted to experiment with porting the style to smaller FFG yellows, while still being functional. Here's attempt 1:

I'll miss the lore text but I think this is in a good direction. The Imperial-only icon is awkwardly placed, but it has to go somewhere if I'm swapping out the card type icon for the Armada ones. If there's interest in this, when I have a system figured out, I can post the templates for this one as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Icons, I'd use the Armada ones exclusively, instead of the CCG ones, and don't include any numbers or icons that don't translate back to Armada. I say this for consistency and clarity, so they are recognizable and understandable as Armada cards.

And yes, stick with the Armada sizes for the different types of cards. Again, for consistency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have templates for several options depending on what players would like, I guess?

I've got an option for the objective cards. Either change the icon bug, or change the card color:

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
I know people love the old Decipher game but the graphic design of the cards is terrible IMO. So much wasted space with the huge borders and the lame icons.

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Objective cards - changing the frame color is a clever idea, and it'll work for the Assault and Navigation objectives, so can you make it work for yellow Defense objectives? There's also the icons that the objective cards use, too.
I guess I kinda like the purple, makes it seem very Decipher-ish. I like that you kept the Decipher objective icon, it reminds me of bustin' packs in the 90s =)
Mundane wrote:

I don't think the design is *terrible*, just *old*. Remember this was like the second or third generation of CCGs, when designers were still working out the subtleties of good design.

Sure, the frames didn't leave a lot of room for the art or card text, but they were super thematic. Light Side cards had a beat-up weathered look like the the Rebellion equipment, and Dark Side cards were clean and polished, like the Empire's war materiel. And you gotta admit, those some of those screen grabs and composted pictures they used for card art were really impressive, especially for the 90s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stick with the Armada colors for the Objective cards. They may not match the ccg colors but we're playing Armada here, better to stay recognizable.

Never liked the purple cards anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.