1 Posts

Odin's Ravens» Forums » General

Subject: Luck in Odin's Ravens? Well it's not on my side. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the draw from the deck of cards in this game one may assume that there was a significant degree of luck involved. After one or two plays I thought much the same, the winner was simply the person who picked up the right terrain cards. However, after 20+ plays, and very few wins, I've realised that there is a significant amount of strategy involved in the game. I have played against my partner in all of those 20+ games, and in spite of perhaps 3-4 very close wins on my part (I won one game 13-12, another 12-11), she has beaten me hands down almost every other time. I am generally a good game strategist and pick up ideas fair quickly. I prefer games with strategy over games with luck (Odin's Ravens was a present for her for Christmas), but I just can't work out how my partner plays, nor why she continues to beat me every time. I think with Odin's Ravens you are busy planning your own next move, watching how your opponent changes the terrain, and changing your plan to meet these changes, rather than thinking of 'how' they are actually beating you, as in, what cards they are playing and in what order. To those who have played the game once or twice and think it is luck, give it a few more tries and see how much your game develops from a random 'play and hope' to a clearly thought out plan, or, otherwise, play my partner and see how many games you can win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.