Subject: For the record... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The day that BGG inserts "IntelliTXT" links into forum posts is the day I stop contributing. It's also the day before the day I remove everything I can from my profile.

Of course, Aldie has shown no indication that he'll go there; I'm just venting steam out of frustration over all of the forums that have gone to rot in 2006 due to this "enhancement".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Me hates it too. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil AnnergÄrd
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what it is. And I already *hate it*

(It sounds bad, and my favourite browser for reading forums is lynx --editor=emacs ...)

(right I read what it is I think. So new that is a really big hate to add)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, that thing. I hate that in its entirety. However it hasn't happened yet and there's no reason it should... is there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
IntelliTXT makes it possible for any and all of the words in a post to be hotlinked for purposes of advertising.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
IntelliTXT makes it possible for any and all of the words in a post to be hotlinked for purposes of advertising.

But in fact, it's far, far worse than that. The latest IntelliTXT does fancy javascript stuff to make annoying 'floaty things' appear if your mouse even approaches one of the links. Even the older tooltip stuff is hideous. I truly hope we never see this here.

EDIT: typo correction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil AnnergÄrd
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
ah, so when logging in to such forums turn off javascripts. I most remember that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Reeves
United States
Akron
Oh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

Ah. I kinda wondered what that abomination was called.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet Grognads would love it! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Dave wrote:
The day that BGG inserts "IntelliTXT" links into forum posts is the day I stop contributing. It's also the day before the day I remove everything I can from my profile.

The nice thing about IntelliTXT is that a relatively trivial greasemonkey script will remove every trace of it from the pages you see. Voila! All gone! Just another business model rendered into dust at your feet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
The nice thing about IntelliTXT is that a relatively trivial greasemonkey script will remove every trace of it from the pages you see. Voila! All gone! Just another business model rendered into dust at your feet...

And subsequently, it's decreasing the marketshare of IE for the same reason. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
clearclaw wrote:
Dave wrote:

My viewing experience is part of the problem. The other (more abstract) part is that my words are being used to feed advertising to others. I don't mind Google ads as much because it is more indirect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Dziuba
United States
Scurry
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
The day that BGG inserts "IntelliTXT" links into forum posts is the day I stop contributing.

Maybe it's not so much the IntelliTXT that's got you riled as that golden dilrod shoved up your red butt.

The only avatar that makes me wince every time I see it.

Still, it's so you Dave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Don't worry - IntelliTXT will not be making an appearance here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Cheyne
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The Noscript (www.noscript.net) Firefox extension sorts this out nicely.

Opera can also block scripts on a a site-by-site basis.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IntelliTXT for more blocking tips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Aldie wrote:
Don't worry - IntelliTXT will not be making an appearance here.

good to hear, i think alot of people would leave if that happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Adblock will stop it in firefox as well. IntelliTXT links all begin with "IntelliTXT".

Someone mentioned "IE". Is that one of those old fashioned browsers like NetScape or Mosaic?

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.