10 Posts

Galaxy Defenders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Shooting behind a door or window rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Blackdakis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the los in that situation?If I can draw a line from the symbol to the center of a hex can I shoot the target?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windows don't interrupt LOS, so unless you're at an angle that crosses the border next to the window you have LOS.

Doors block LOS for anyone who is not adjacent to them. So if your agent is adjacent to a door they can shoot an alien in LOS on the other side (even if the alien is not adjacent to the door). However, if the alien is adjacent to the door and the agent is on the other side somewhere not adjacent, the agent cannot target the alien.

In both cases, you still measure from the center of the starting hex to the center of the target hex (not from the door/window symbol on the border).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackdakis82 wrote:
What is the los in that situation(i.e. shooting behind a door or window)? If I can draw a line from the symbol to the center of a hex can I shoot the target?

From page 10, "The term Line of Sight [l.o.s.] refers to visibility of a target or other element on the battlefield. If you can trace a straight line between the center of the source hex and the center of the destination hex, without crossing a blocked hex or a door [unless the attacker is in the hex adjacent to the Door symbol, or in a Door hex, then you have a legal l.o.s."

Basically, if you are standing in a doorway, you can shoot out of it and be shot at from those that have l.o.s. to the doorway hex. Step away from the door, and it blocks l.o.s. again (door closed).

Also per the rulebook page 9, "A window does not block l.o.s." Think of it as a clear hex side so as long as l.o.s. doesn't have to cross a wall, you can see into the room and anything in the room can see out (i.e. symbols get flipped, aliens will target you, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Collis68 wrote:
Blackdakis82 wrote:
What is the los in that situation(i.e. shooting behind a door or window)? If I can draw a line from the symbol to the center of a hex can I shoot the target?

From page 10, "The term Line of Sight [l.o.s.] refers to visibility of a target or other element on the battlefield. If you can trace a straight line between the center of the source hex and the center of the destination hex, without crossing a blocked hex or a door [unless the attacker is in the hex adjacent to the Door symbol, or in a Door hex, then you have a legal l.o.s."

Basically, if you are standing in a doorway, you can shoot out of it and be shot at from those that have l.o.s. to the doorway hex. Step away from the door, and it blocks l.o.s. again (door closed).

Also per the rulebook page 9, "A window does not block l.o.s." Think of it as a clear hex side so as long as l.o.s. doesn't have to cross a wall, you can see into the room and anything in the room can see out (i.e. symbols get flipped, aliens will target you, etc.)

Not quite. If the attacker is standing at the door, then it ignores the door. But anyone trying to target someone standing in the doorway will have LoS blocked because drawing line to the final hex will either cause the LoS to cross the door symbol or the door hex. In this particular case, LoS is a one way street.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collis Jeppesen
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero_guy wrote:
Collis68 wrote:
Blackdakis82 wrote:

Not quite. If the attacker is standing at the door, then it ignores the door. But anyone trying to target someone standing in the doorway will have LoS blocked because drawing line to the final hex will either cause the LoS to cross the door symbol or the door hex. In this particular case, LoS is a one way street.

I can see where the rules state that but find it strange that a person standing in a doorway can shoot at targets but those same targets can't shoot back? When did an open door (standing in doorway means it is open), become a shield? To me L.O.S. should go both ways. So the rules state that a doorway blocks L.O.S. unless the attacker is in the doorway. Can't that also say "target" is in the doorway? No where else in the rules does L.O.S. go only one way. If you can shoot it, it can shoot back. That's how I play it at least.

Unless the door is only open a slit, so it acts like a gun portal maybe. That might give some protection. Hmmmmm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Collis68 wrote:
I can see where the rules state that but find it strange that a person standing in a doorway can shoot at targets but those same targets can't shoot back?

The way I think about this thematically is that the agent is taking cover by the door jam (or alternately cracking the door to peer out/shoot). The door is only open when the agent wants/needs it to be open, which is why the agent is out of LOS for enemies that are not adjacent to the door.

Note that for doors that fill a hex (rather than lying on a hex border), LOS actually does go both ways; anything standing in the door hex is visible to anything on either side of the door (adjacency not required).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Blackdakis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:

Note that for doors that fill a hex (rather than lying on a hex border), LOS actually does go both ways; anything standing in the door hex is visible to anything on either side of the door (adjacency not required).

Oh I didn't know that!Another thing that I haven't read in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Blackdakis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skaak wrote:
Windows don't interrupt LOS, so unless you're at an angle that crosses the border next to the window you have LOS.

Doors block LOS for anyone who is not adjacent to them. So if your agent is adjacent to a door they can shoot an alien in LOS on the other side (even if the alien is not adjacent to the door). However, if the alien is adjacent to the door and the agent is on the other side somewhere not adjacent, the agent cannot target the alien.

In both cases, you still measure from the center of the starting hex to the center of the target hex (not from the door/window symbol on the border).

I'm aware of the things you say in the first two paragraphs.I just didn'know know were to shoot when I was behind the door,inside the buildings(5th mission),so I just played center to center.
Thematically looks fine for me also.I open the door,I shoot and close it.The target whenit's its time to shoot,can't reach the door to open it and shoot,so no los.Simple and realistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Paroni
United States
California
flag msg tools
Skaak wrote:

Why is this the case? I'm still trying to understand the finer points of this game, and little quirks like this drive me up the wall. Does this mean that if my agent is say, inside the alien ship and is standing in an empty hex adjacent to the door hex (but not actually standing in the door hex) then he would have LOS through the door hex when he attacked, but enemies could not draw LOS to him unless they were on the same side of the door as my agent?

Also: Let's say the attacker (my sniper) is standing in an enclosed building, the building has a door (not a door hex, just a door), and my agent is standing in a hex adjacent to the door. When I trace LOS from my sniper's hex to an enemy's hex (an enemy not adjacent to the door), am I allowed to draw LOS ignoring the blocking hex lines that are immediately touching either side of the door? Or can I only draw LOS down a very narrow path straight out through the door icon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chiller087 wrote:
Does this mean that if my agent is say, inside the alien ship and is standing in an empty hex adjacent to the door hex (but not actually standing in the door hex) then he would have LOS through the door hex when he attacked, but enemies could not draw LOS to him unless they were on the same side of the door as my agent?

No, neither he nor the enemies outside the ship would have LOS to one another. Door hexes completely block LOS for everyone but the character on the door hex itself (that character has LOS and is in LOS for everyone on both sides of the door).

chiller087 wrote:
Also: Let's say the attacker (my sniper) is standing in an enclosed building, the building has a door (not a door hex, just a door), and my agent is standing in a hex adjacent to the door. When I trace LOS from my sniper's hex to an enemy's hex (an enemy not adjacent to the door), am I allowed to draw LOS ignoring the blocking hex lines that are immediately touching either side of the door? Or can I only draw LOS down a very narrow path straight out through the door icon?

You can draw LOS up to the corners of the hex side that has the door icon. So it's narrower than a normal hex, but not restricted to the portion of the hex that has the door icon itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.