Subject: Eclipse advantage cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an idea inspired by some common complaints about luck in the early game, and by effects from a variety of other games.

The idea is to give to each player a number of cards, which lend a hand to newbies to get them out of a bind. However, they also provide an interesting choice for experienced players, as they provide victory points if not used.

There are six different cards available, and each player should have the same selection of cards. You will note that for nine players, this adds up to a full standard deck if all six are used.

Each card has multiple options, and you only ever get to use one of them.

This is a first pass, there may be imbalances, or there may be things we could add that I've missed. Feedback is encouraged. I may even be completely off base with my sums on this one!

Updated!

Interstellar Telemetry
• If you have not used this card at the end of the game, you may gain 1 Victory Point.
• You may use this card during exploration to discard and replace a Hex you have drawn.
• You may use this card at any time to flip a colony ship face-up.
• You may discard this card at any time to look at any one face-down discovery tile, even one guarded by an Ancient.

Deep Range Probes
• If you have not used this card at the end of the game, you may gain 2 Victory Point.
• You may use this card during exploration to discard and replace a Hex you have drawn.
• You may discard this card when you receive a discovery tile to discard and replace that tile with another random Discovery Tile.

Economic Stimulus
• If you have not used this card at the end of the game, you may gain 2 Victory Points.
• You may discard this card at any time to gain 4 orange.
• You may discard this card at any time to gain 3 brown.
• You may discard this card at any time to gain 3 pink.
• You may discard this card at any time to gain 2 grey.
• You may discard this card at any time to gain 2 green.

Graviton Scan
• If you have not used this card at the end of the game, you may gain 3 Victory Points.
• You may use this card at any time to draw one Discovery tile.
• You may use this card during a round of combat. You may re-roll one die. You must accept the second die result, even if it is worse than the first.

Blitzkrieg
• If you have not used this card at the end of the game, you may gain 4 Victory Points.
• All attacks against your ships in one Hex of your choice count as having +2 Computers for that round of combat.
• You may use this card at the start of a round of combat. All attacks against your ships in one Hex of your choice count as having -1 Shields for that round of combat.

Sneak Attack
• If you have not used this card at the end of the game, you may gain 4 Victory Points.
• You may use this card at the start of a round of combat. All attacks against your ships in one Hex of your choice count as having -2 Shields for that round of combat.
• All attacks against your ships in one Hex of your choice count as having +1 Computers for that round of combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would choose the VP every time. The bonus aren't worth the loss of VP. The total amount of VP there is something like 30% of a typical winning score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Olson
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
I would choose the VP every time. The bonus aren't worth the loss of VP. The total amount of VP there is something like 30% of a typical winning score.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dornian
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:

I really like the idea of adding in cards to counter luck and give options, a lot of games use this mechanic to great effect. However I strongly agree with Vanish; victory points are worth a lot in Eclipse, and a few points can often makes the difference. Therefore each card needs to be weighted carefully. I would argue for making them similar to discovery tiles in power, so most of the abilities above need to actually be stronger. And anything actually worth 4 VP should probably just go, that's too much.

Going to need to think about it some more. I'll try to write up my list later.

Primarily, in terms of even playing field, everyone starts with four of the same cards. Once discarded the discard pile may not be looked through. Everyone has access to the same bonus and people must remember what you've played if they want to keep track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:

Are you sure? 3 pink on the first round seems overpowered to me. Think of the normally out of reach techs you could get.

Also discard a hex draw for 1 victory point may be worth it in some cases.

I agree that most powers would have to be adjusted for balance though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
Are you sure? 3 pink on the first round seems overpowered to me. Think of the normally out of reach techs you could get.

I concede that could be strong. But then, this does nothing to help someone who has found themselves in a bit of a hole. It would be the very first thing done in the game by the player. In this case, this ability fails at achieving the goal of combatting early game bad luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
flying_neko wrote:

I concede that could be strong. But then, this does nothing to help someone who has found themselves in a bit of a hole. It would be the very first thing done in the game by the player. In this case, this ability fails at achieving the goal of combatting early game bad luck.

I agree. One alternative might be something like: a +5/6/8 units on the track you have the fewest planets of, on Round 3 or later, or 2VP. Basically like a discovery for your weakest track, but only from Round 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, people seem to be behind the idea, it's the values we need to adjust.

Based on the feedback, I've put this together

Interstellar Telemetry
• If you have not used this card at the end of the game, you may gain 1 Victory Point.
• You may discard this card during exploration to discard and replace a Hex you have drawn.
• You may discard this card at any time to flip a colony ship face-up.
• You may discard this card at any time to look at any one face-down discovery tile, even one guarded by an Ancient.

Deep Range Probes
• You may discard this card during exploration to discard and replace a Hex you have drawn.
• You may discard this card when you receive a discovery tile to discard and replace that tile with another random Discovery Tile.

Economic Stimulus
• You may discard this card at any time to gain 3* Orange/Brown/Pink (whichever you have the least of).
• You may discard this card at any time to gain 1* grey.
• You may discard this card at any time to gain 1* green.
*add the turn number to the number of resources gained

Graviton Scan
• If you have not used this card at the end of the game, you may gain 2 Victory Point.
• You may discard this card at any time to draw one Discovery tile. You may NOT use it to score Victory Points.
• You may discard this card during a round of combat. You may re-roll one die. You must accept the second die result, even if it is worse than the first.

War Footing
• If you have not used this card at the end of the game, you may gain 2 Victory Points.
• You may use this card at the start of a round of combat. All attacks against your ships in one Hex of your choice count as having +2 Computers for that round of combat.
• You may use this card at the start of a round of combat. All attacks against your ships in one Hex of your choice count as having -1 Shields for that round of combat.
• You may use this card during an upgrade action. You may place one of your upgrades as if you have a prerequisite technology you lack.

Defensive Footing
• If you have not used this card at the end of the game, you may gain 1 Victory Points.
• You may use this card at the start of a round of combat. All attacks against your ships in one Hex of your choice count as having -2 Shields for that round of combat.
• You may use this card at the start of a round of combat. All attacks against your ships in one Hex of your choice count as having +1 Computers for that round of combat.
• You may discard this card at any time to pick one non-rare technology. Find this Technology in the draw bag and add it to the technology market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.