Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
So last night, the girlfriend and I broke out Blue Moon for the first time in a few months (we were huge addicts for at least a year) to try out the new Emmisaries and Inquistors decks I bought to spice things up. Everything was going smoothly and I wasn't missing a beat until she opened a fight with a leadership card and then a character. So, naturally, I said that you can only start a fight with one card, usually a character card unless special power text or free icons permit you to do otherwise. She challenged me on it and I of course turned to the rulebook to confirm this most basic of rules. What followed was half an hour of me pacing, reading the book, skimming Dearlove's FAQ, and flying thru old BGG rules questions in a fevor of peaked insanity...

I know this is a rule! Can someone confirm or deny it?! -And if confirming, please explain to me why this crucial rule is not clearly stated in the rulebook!

I'm not crazy!

*huddles in the corner, gnawing on the cat*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 6 in the pink box under Turn Phases, it states:

CHARACTER The player must play one character card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Insertcleverthing wrote:
I know this is a rule!

Sorry, no it's not.

I suspect you have a mistaken recollection of the last sentence of the Exceptions paragraph near the top of page 8.

This is one of the exceptions to that (leadership before character). Others involve FREE, PAIR and GANG icons - and the leadership or character card can introduce exceptions too.

The actual rule is the first sentence of the same Exceptions paragraph. It doesn't refer to leadership cards.

OK, now it's time to make a suitable apology/gesture/whatever to your girlfriend ...

... and for me to decide whether to put this in the FAQ, which is just about to be updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
huh???

I may be no expert on Blue Moon, but I know that at the beginning of the CHARACTER phase, where one starts a fight, you can't play Leadership cards (unless there is some funky Leadership card out there that states otherwise for that particular card)

If I misinterpretted the initial question, I apologize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon's question is whether or not it is legal to play anything more than a single character as the first play of a new fight.

It is indeed legal. As the first play of a fight you:

-may always play a card in the Leadership phase
-must play a character (may play more if abilities let you)
-may only play a booster/support card if something in play allows you to

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voynix wrote:
huh???

I may be no expert on Blue Moon, but I know that at the beginning of the CHARACTER phase, where one starts a fight, you can't play Leadership cards (unless there is some funky Leadership card out there that states otherwise for that particular card)

If I misinterpretted the initial question, I apologize.

Your confusion stems from the phases in a turn. The very first phase is the Leadership Phase, followed by the Retreat Phase and THEN comes the Character Phase. So, one starts a fight in the Leadership Phase, not the Character Phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon W.
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yes, thank you Octavian.

Well, I don't know who exactly told me that then. I remember playing the regular way (no exceptions anytime) and then being told and/or reading somewhere that at the beginning of a fight, a player was restricted to only the character portion of the phase order. I guess that means 25% of the games I've played over my illustrious Blue Moon career have big, ugly asterisks next to them.

In fact I remember a specific conversation where the person told me "you know, in the real rules...blah blah blah..." and having a knee jerk reaction to how that would make the game way more defensive driven than it already is by stongly weakening the opening attack of any given fight (not to mention severly mucking with the end of game pacing).

Guess that's the last time I trust "word-of-mouth" rules experts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:
The very first phase is the Leadership Phase, followed by the Retreat Phase and THEN comes the Character Phase. So, one starts a fight in the Leadership Phase, not the Character Phase.

Not quite. But unless you really need the fine details, just stop reading now.

The turn actually starts with the Beginning of turn phase. In the basic game there's only one thing you can do in this phase (use RETRIEVE). (I'll ignore some "at any point" actions which could use this phase, but there's no reason to do so.) With the Buka Invasion there are two more. One of these (discarding bluff cards) like using RETRIEVE is not relevant when a fight is about to start, but the other one (landing a ship) can be done even if a fight hasn't started.

And twice in that last sentence I've made the other point. Although the turn starts with the Start of Turn phase (in which usually nothing happens) before heading into the Leadership phase, the fight actually still hasn't started. It doesn't start until you don't decline to start a fight in the next (Retreat from Fight? - here slightly misnamed) phase. There is an obscure case where this subtlety matters, but usually it doesn't. But although the fight doesn't start until the Character phase, you can still have played a Leadership card (or taken another Leadership phase action) in the same turn, which still applies even though it was technically played before the fight begin, although in the first turn of the fight.

Or, as I said, it's mostly irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.