Subject: Minor grammar rant and US political jargon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: A_Tempestatic_In_A_Teapot [+] [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
For some time in recent years, a fashion has come into US political parlance which I simply find bizarre-- using the noun "Democrat" in lieu of the related adjective "Democratic". Thus poster will write about "the Democrat party". Now Republican is both a noun and an adjective. Democrat is not. Using "Democrat" as an adjective merely makes one look uneducated and in fact stupid.

That's all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Using "Democrat" in place of "Democratic" as a deliberate insult is basically an institution among Republicans. It's been going on longer than I've been alive, certainly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Using "Democrat" as an adjective merely makes one look uneducated and in fact stupid.

As opposed to actually being a Democrat which makes you look.. Oh wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
whac3 wrote:
For some time in recent years, a fashion has come into US political parlance which I simply find bizarre-- using the noun "Democrat" in lieu of the related adjective "Democratic". Thus poster will write about "the Democrat party". Now Republican is both a noun and an adjective. Democrat is not. Using "Democrat" as an adjective merely makes one look uneducated and in fact stupid.

That's all.
Why does it not work as a different means of saying "the party of Democrats", ie, "the Democrat party"?

"Pick up the box of cigars"* ... "pick up the cigar box". Same idea, isn't it?

Hopefully, both the Ds and the Rs are democratic. Well, I mean, in spirit. In truth they're not, but you know what I mean.

*Clinton, '96.
... yes, it's a joke. Chill out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Jeremy, no one is a democrat.

Just ask. No one will embrace them.

Around here, in RSP, they are merely the best of 2 bad choices.

There are probably less than a dozen people here who identify as Democratics. Also note there are probably fewer than that who claim Republics.

If you think about the issues enough to want to argue about them on the internet with randos, you might not line up all that well with a political party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
Libs have nothing better to do than feel superior about stuff that doesn't matter.

you make feeling superior very easy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Hopefully, both the Ds and the Rs are democratic. Well, I mean, in spirit. In truth they're not, but you know what I mean.

From Hell, indeed: The United States is a republic, very much not a democracy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Terwox wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Jeremy, no one is a democrat.

Just ask. No one will embrace them.

Around here, in RSP, they are merely the best of 2 bad choices.

There are probably less than a dozen people here who identify as Democratics. Also note there are probably fewer than that who claim Republics.

If you think about the issues enough to want to argue about them on the internet with randos, you might not line up all that well with a political party.

Before I thumb I need to know what a randos is.

A "rando" is some random person on the internet, that's all. (Or sometimes just a random person in general.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Tall_Walt wrote:
linguistfromhell wrote:

From Hell, indeed: The United States is a republic, very much not a democracy.
Yes, thank you. I am well aware. But it is a democratic republic and besides, I was describing the individual parties and not the overall country in general.

Never mind that that entire line was meant to be taken as a joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
"Democratic republic" could be shortened to "Republic" and have the same meaning.

That is not true.

Venice was a repubic and not in the slightest a democracy.
Likewise Roman Republic (except very briefly under Grachii) and, for most part, Dutch Republic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damiangerous wrote:
Using "Democrat" in place of "Democratic" as a deliberate insult is basically an institution among Republicans. It's been going on longer than I've been alive, certainly.
Considering that the Democrat Party doesn't seem particularly keen on democracy anymore I don't mind this term.

I still think they're the lesser of two evils though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
bramadan wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
"Democratic republic" could be shortened to "Republic" and have the same meaning.

That is not true.

Venice was a repubic and not in the slightest a democracy.
Likewise Roman Republic (except very briefly under Grachii) and, for most part, Dutch Republic.

Yeah. I think North Korea is a Republic too.

That invalidates everything.

OR you don't understand the word "Republic".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:

OR you don't understand the word "*******".

Keep that on your clipboard for easy use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Classical meaning of Republic was essentially like an oligarchy except that the voting base was large enough to pretend it represented the majority of the population. It typically involved a form of representative democracy which is all the term means normally anymore. Thus in modern parlance a Republic and a Democracy are essentially synonymous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
whac3 wrote:

That's all.

If you note the people who use it are by and large douche bags who think it's clever. Whatever... let them have their little inbred "tee-hee's". In the end it's more than just saying "Democrat Party" that makes them look stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
The Classical meaning of Republic was essentially like an oligarchy except that the voting base was large enough to pretend it represented the majority of the population. It typically involved a form of representative democracy which is all the term means normally anymore. Thus in modern parlance a Republic and a Democracy are essentially synonymous.

Only in limited usage - because modern western countries are generally both republics and democracies.

Republic means that the leadership is not for life and that it changes hands according to some sort of legally established selective procedure. Democracy means that selective procedure involves participation of some substantial fraction of the citizenry.

Modern China (from Deng onwards) is an example of a republic that is not also a democracy. Their selective system is well regulated and not arbitrary, but is by no means democratic.

North Korea - contrary to Koldie - is for all intents and purposes a hereditary monarchy as their leadership is inherited and for life.

'Republic' and 'Democracy' are two different words for a reason.
I may as well insist that meat means beef and reject all the examples of, say, pork as not being "really" meat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
bramadan wrote:
North Korea - contrary to Koldie - is for all intents and purposes a hereditary monarchy as their leadership is inherited and for life.

its even for after life because kim il-sung is the "eternal president of the republic"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
Republics are good for early game growth, and good at providing trade. Democracy is a much later game possibility, with lots of new abilities. It makes your units immune to bribery and cuts down on corruption or waste.

Both make waging war more difficult, but democracy much, much more so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:

That's all.

Have we come to an agreement about whether or not periods should be inside or outside of quotation marks yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
quozl wrote:
whac3 wrote:

That's all.

Have we come to an agreement about whether or not periods should be inside or outside of quotation marks yet?

first world problems

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
whac3 wrote:

That's all.

If the statement inside the quotation marks is a complete sentence then yes it gets a full stop and if not no it doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.