Subject: The art of creating scenarios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Not only re-playing the same scenario may really surprise you the way it's different ... But creating one is difficult in the way you need numerous tries to judge it and many more to balance it.

Example with my Austerlitz under (here after a few turns and looking like the historical battle): When the French were playing first they were winning 75% of the time so we decided the Allies to play first and now those win 70% ... LOL

Conclusion: Enjoy this game but don't think it's Chess. The cards and dice rolls are really a big part of it and you know what?

---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd--tIkrVoA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've often wished that Richard Borg could do an article about designing C&C scenarios. For example, suppose you have an order of battle; how do you go about working that into a scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've designed a few CCN scenarios, and there are a few general rules I try and apply;

1. Historical forces and terrain. Obviously this can't be exact, but the salient and key units and terrain features.

2. Special rules. This is what makes the scenario unique. However, use them sparingly. Having 2 pages of special rules to re-create some unique battle event really deters other players and limits the replayability.

2a. Edit and proof read the Special rules. Make them as simple and concise as possible. Borrow the language of other rules.

3. Generally compress the terrain the close you get to the board edge. A single row of Forest is enough to create a shield and a movement impediment. Ditto a row of hills to represent the crest line.

4. Don't start forces too close together if you can help it. Try to make the setup have options for players. If you set up artillery with infantry 2 hexes away, this will force the action.

5. Remember the 3 sections. Remember players virtually have to get cards from all 3 sections. So spread the units out.

6. A balance of arms. Generally infantry will predominate, then cavalry then artillery. But all 3 arms have cards just they can use. If you eliminate an arm, you create dead cards.

7. Playtest. Solitaire, then against another player. Absolutely vital, and let's face it, probably the reason you want to design a scenario is to play it.

8. Finish it. It might not be absolutely perfect, or even very good, but after a playtest or two, that's it. Call it done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.