BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: BGG top 100 by weight and your preferred weight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While looking for new games to get, I started getting a bit more interested in the weight of the games. Mainly because of the fact that among those I play with, games below a weight of 3.5 tend to get more table time and generally be more popular. If I have to go much above that I have very few options, so those games generally have to be very good with only two players. So I was curious what some of you guys' considerations are when looking for new games?

So just for fun I sorted the top 100 games of BGG by weight as of october 1. 2015 and did a few numbers.

Through the Ages 4.2
Twilight Imperium 4.2
Mage Knight 4.1
Here I Stand 4.1
Dominant Species 4.0
Go 4.0
Terra Mystica 3.9
War of the Ring 3.9
Brass 3.9
Ora et Labora 3.9
Age of Steam 3.9
Caverna: The Cave Farmers 3.8
Le Havre 3.8
Caylus 3.8
War of the Ring (first edition) 3.8
Paths of Glory 3.8
Sid Meier's Civilization 3.8
Alchemists 3.7
Runewars 3.7
Bora Bora 3.7
Agricola 3.6
Eclipse 3.6
Robinson Crusoe 3.6
Tzolk'in 3.6
Mage Wars Arena 3.6
Trajan 3.6
A Game of Thrones 3.6
Imperial 3.6
Twilight Struggle 3.5
Tigris & Euphrates 3.5
Nations 3.5
Steam 3.5
Dungeon Petz 3.5
Russian Railroads 3.4
Troyes 3.4
Goa 3.4
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage 3.4
Shogun 3.4
Puerto Rico 3.3
Android: Netrunner 3.3
Power Grid 3.3
Keyflower 3.3
Eldritch Horror 3.3
The Princes of Florence 3.3
Lewis & Clark 3.3
Star Wars: Imperial Assault 3.2
Battlestar Galactica 3.2
Descent: Journeys in the Dark 3.2
Concordia 3.2
Combat Commander: Europe 3.2
The Voyages of Marco Polo 3.2
El Grande 3.1
Chaos in the Old World 3.1
The Lord of the Rings 3.1
Hansa Teutonica 3.1
Village 3.1
Age of Empires III 3.1
Navegador 3.1
The Castles of Burgundy 3.0
Race for the Galaxy 3.0
Railways of the World 3.0
Five Tribes 2.9
Dead of Winter 2.9
Kemet 2.9
Space Alert 2.9
Glory to Rome 2.9
Sherlock Holmes 2.8
YINSH 2.8
BattleLore 2.8
Suburbia 2.7
Roll for the Galaxy 2.7
Commands & Colors: Ancients 2.7
Castles of Mad King Ludwig 2.7
Legendary Encounters 2.7
Imperial Settlers 2.7
Alien Frontiers 2.6
Star Wars: X-Wing 2.5
Lords of Waterdeep 2.5
Stone Age 2.5
Legendary: A Marvel Deck 2.5
Summoner Wars 2.5
Cosmic Encounter 2.5
Dominion: Intrigue 2.4
Dominion 2.4
Pandemic 2.4
Ra 2.4
7 Wonders 2.3
Tichu 2.3
Galaxy Trucker 2.3
Memoir '44 2.3
Star Realms 2.0
Ticket to Ride: Europe 2.0
Ticket to Ride: Nordic 2.0
Ticket to Ride 1.9
The Resistance: Avalon 1.8
Splendor 1.8
Patchwork 1.7
The Resistance 1.6
Jaipur 1.6
Crokinole 1.3

Mean: 3,075
Standard deviation: 0,661552353
Distribution:
6 medium-heavy to heavy games (4.0-5.0)
55 medium to medium-heavy games (3.0-3.9)
32 medium-light to medium games (2.0-2.9)
7 light to medium-light games (1.0-1.9)

Also looking at these numbers, there seems to be very much regression towards the mean, and that people generally don't vote for the extreme options. Either that, or games that enter the top 100 generally place themselves among the more average weight. Though it does baffle me that such a large group of people do not consider for instance Mage Knight or Through the Ages a heavy game but rather a medium-heavy. I dread to see what games these folks play

Poll
When buying a board game, what level of weight do you tend to prefer?
1.0-1.5
1.5-2.0
2.0-2.5
2.5-3.0
3.0-3.5
3.5-4.0
4.0-4.5
4.5-5.0
      104 answers
Poll created by Thip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
I find some of the weights interesting, eclipse for example, but I guess weight would come from breadth in that case, also caverna bring weighted heavier than Agricola (can't say I agree with that).

Generally I really enjoy games over 3, permitting they don't get fiddly. Then again there are a lot of good games down to 2.4 also ( dominion is pertinent my cut off) below that I see nothing I enjoy, except Jaipur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 2.5 to 3.5 is my sweet spot. But to be honest I play and enjoy plenty of games outside of that, it depends what mood I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
I find some of the weights interesting, eclipse for example, but I guess weight would come from breadth in that case, also caverna bring weighted heavier than Agricola (can't say I agree with that).

I think the reason is that people can't agree what weight actually means, as evidenced by the threads discussing it that pop up every few months.
For example, I actually agree with Caverna being weighted heavier than Agricola because it has more elements. Sure, Agricola is much meaner, and you will need more practice to become decent at it than in Caverna. But Caverna has more stuff in it with all the furnishing tiles and the adventuring, which is why I see it as the "heavier" game of the two. But I can see why you won't agree.
What surprises me more is that Caylus has a higher weight than Agricola.

As for me, my two favourite games on the list are Terra Mystica (3.9) and Dominion (2.4), both near opposing ends. But most of my favourites (Puerto Rico, Agricola, Caylus, Power Grid) are somewhere between 3 and 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
darthain wrote:

I think the reason is that people can't agree what weight actually means, as evidenced by the threads discussing it that pop up every few months.
For example, I actually agree with Caverna being weighted heavier than Agricola because it has more elements. Sure, Agricola is much meaner, and you will need more practice to become decent at it than in Caverna. But Caverna has more stuff in it with all the furnishing tiles and the adventuring, which is why I see it as the "heavier" game of the two. But I can see why you won't agree.
What surprises me more is that Caylus has a higher weight than Agricola.

As for me, my two favourite games on the list are Terra Mystica (3.9) and Dominion (2.4), both near opposing ends. But most of my favourites (Puerto Rico, Agricola, Caylus, Power Grid) are somewhere between 3 and 4.

I can see that, but I take the punishment of Agricola as an increase in weight, opposed to Caverna's 'slightly less optimal decision'. It doesn't push back or feel as weighty as the punishment isn't there. The rules are a clusterfark though, even reading them as an agricola vet (reading them was a mistake). I also agree more components weight more, and Caverna is fiddly as crap (which also likely contributes to weight).

Dominion is an interesting one for weight, I've always thought, given that I think a lot of people play it at surface value, opposed to how far it can go (not that it will ever be a heavy). Sure it is mostly strategic, in that most of the game is played before the first move, but it can be a great puzzle.

I've not played Caylus, so cannot comment.

To address not agreeing on weight, I tend to look at it as thought process and depth only. Not rules (which will iron themselves out after a few plays regardless of complexity), not fiddliness/amount of components, not breadth. In this aspect, I'd say eclipse is probably a 2.6-3, for example. In that respect, Keyflower is a surprisingly deep game, I'd put it slightly higher than it is, maybe near equal to Agricola.

You are absolutely correct though, we all call something else weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
I fear the poll makes no sense to me. I buy games rated across the spectrum of BGG weights.

But what strikes me, looking through the list, is that Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage is rated as the 37th heaviest of the games. This is one of the reasons I never look at weights on BGG; the weight given for Hannibal makes perfect sense _when compared to other wargames_, but no sense whatsoever in a general context.

Of course, I realized earlier this year that by one reasonable definition of a "heavy" game ("one that cannot be played casually"), I count all games as light games, so who am I to talk...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Joe. I'll cheerfully play either the top or the bottom game on that list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my favorite games fall within the 3.5 to 4 range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I prefer games that I can get people to play with me... Therefore, medium light to medium is the general range.

I like to play medium to heavy games as well and I like to play light games too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Crokinole board is probably heavier than any one of the other games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a more detailed geeklist in the same spirit as this:

The Complete Games Weight Scale - A Guide to Find Your Sweet Spot in Game Weight

I do believe there should be more focus on weight - as explained in the geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, amazing list! I'm definitely going to look at that for suggestions to my next game purchase! Saved me a lot of time! Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
4.0 to 4.5 definitely. Hard games are my favourite, but I have no interested in war simulations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy games firstly for the theme, secondary for the mechanic.

That being said, I play my games with my family thus I have to accommodate their taste. This leaves me with games around 2.5 - 3.5. The heaviest game that I have and play is Alchemists, but my wife is not too keen to play that and my son is too young to be able to understand deduction mechanic yet. Thus, something like Lords of Waterdeep and Marco Polo fit my family better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.