Subject: Voluntarily taking the fall rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vladimir Orelj
Serbia
Inđija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, played my first game last night and had a blast.
Couple of questions popped up and one of them is: Can the player voluntarily take the fall and send one of their members to jail? We had one player stuck on 4 heat and not being able to traffic contraband. He mentioned it would be more beneficial for him to restart voluntarily rather than waste actions just so he could traffic again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - it's a great game, absolutely agreed! :-)

To your question: I would say it's not possible as getting red of the heat is part of the game, especially as there are Anarchy cards, which are referring to heat and such.

So you really have to consider how much heat you want as you can normally influence that through not bringing guns to throwdowns etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Orelj
Serbia
Inđija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I like your reasoning about this. Similarly to how you cannot retreat once a throwdown has started, the game has a: "You reap what you sow" theme about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
You can absolutely voluntarily take the fall. You just need to be at 5 heat. So if you are at 3 or 4 heat you can take a heat action to gain more (which are usually the better actions) and take the fall to clear your heat once you hit 5.

I'm using the definition of voluntarily as, it is the player's choice, not forced upon him by opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Weihrauch
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
You can absolutely voluntarily take the fall. You just need to be at 5 heat. So if you are at 3 or 4 heat you can take a heat action to gain more (which are usually the better actions) and take the fall to clear your heat once you hit 5.

I'm using the definition of voluntarily as, it is the player's choice, not forced upon him by opponents.

I guess this is definitely the better explanation :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Orelj
Serbia
Inđija
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I understood that I can push to 5 heat by taking actions that give me heat tokens, however that stuff costs actions and maybe guns and possibly somebody ending up in the hospital. I guess it would have been better to phrase the question more in game terms:"Can you have one of your gang members take the fall if you have less than 5 heat?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. Then in that case, I would wager no. I don't have the rule book in front of me, but it might make the Grim Bastards a little more powerful if you could just take the fall whenever you wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
SON OF A BITCH MUST PAY
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't just decide to take the fall to lower your heat. You must perform actions that generate heat in order to acquire enough to be force by the game mechanics to take the fall.

Look at the Grim Bastards club card. Whenever they take the fall they get a really nice little perk where they can sell contraband for cash. This makes generating enough heat to take the fall a good strategy for them. If they were allowed to voluntarily take the fall whenever they wanted to their special ability would be insanely OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gazbowski wrote:
You can't just decide to take the fall to lower your heat. You must perform actions that generate heat in order to acquire enough to be force by the game mechanics to take the fall.

Look at the Grim Bastards club card. Whenever they take the fall they get a really nice little perk where they can sell contraband for cash. This makes generating enough heat to take the fall a good strategy for them. If they were allowed to voluntarily take the fall whenever they wanted to their special ability would be insanely OP.

Exactly. Nowhere in the rules does it make it a player choice to take the fall. The rules state "any Gang that exceeds 4 Heat MUST immediately have one of their Members Take the Fall".

In this game like many/most, the safest approach is "if the rules do not specifically allow it then it is not allowed".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually used this to negotiate with another player. We were both contesting the Wahewa Reservation and he was stuck at four heat with a pile of contraband. I offered to let him shoot one of my prospects (and then take the fall) if he was willing to lose the fight and let me take the reservation.

He didn't bite, but offering someone up to another club as part of a deal felt very true to the show devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gale Force Nine LLC
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you must be at five Heat to Take the Fall. However, so many comments in this thread offer great strategies to gain that last Heat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.